Omnitopia Dawn: Omnitopia #1 by Diane Duane

Omnitopia Dawn: Omnitopia #1 (2010)

by Diane Duane

181None65,291 (3.8)15
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (pammab)
    pammab: To explore the possibilities of virtual reality in the near future. Duane's is much more traditional fan-friendly fantasy; Stephenson's is more humor-based cyberpunk.

Although the concept was interesting I could not get into this book and gave up on it after 70 pages.
  DarylReads1 | Apr 7, 2014 |
Ok, so the crew of the Enterprise, as Duane writes them, instead run a MMORPG the day after tomorrow. I mean, not exactly the crew of the Enterprise, but you will recognize the types if you love Duane’s Star Trek books as I very much do. Hard work, competence, and compassion are her highest values and they are rewarded (along with a little bit of cheating only those who have been confirmed as trying to cheat you). It’s a cozy book, in its way. ( )
  rivkat | May 6, 2013 |
Picture

I started this book with some trepidation. It isnt really sci-fi to a major extent (Im not even sure if it is classified as sci-fi, though sci-fi and fantasy are the only books I get from publishers), yes it takes place in the near future and yes it deals with advanced technology but it isn’t a far stretch from World of Warcraft and games of that ilk.

The story revolves around Omnitopia a massive only gaming universe that packs almost every imanginable world into on massive bundle. Its creator (Dev) is busy working with his company to unroll the newest expansion pack and Phil , his chief competitor (and former partner) is working on his own release while colluding with the a hacker group to weaken Omnitopia so Phil can slip in and gain controlling interest. The other main story arc consists of Rik, who is a player and was given a rare chance to create his own Microcosm inside of Omnitopias own universe.

This was a well written and very enjoyable book. It wasn’t too tech heavy and for the most part the advanced technology it dealt with wasn’t anything that a simi-literate computer user wouldn’t recognize (yes, that’s my classification). It’s a solid story with interesting characters and a fairly good plot. ( )
  joshmkii | Oct 14, 2012 |
Bad guys who are actually just misguided (or guided from alternative principles), shiny imagery from imaginative new worlds, big battles involving mythical creatures, the fundamental importance of small units of meaning, new beings coming into full consciousness, science taken just a step beyond what it can actually support, timely (eventually dated) references, a battle for the world as we know it -- this book does not fall far from the typical Diane Duane fare. With virtual-reality-based Omnitopia Dawn, however, Duane stages her terrific worldbuilding in a virtual reality game in our own near future, exploring these themes in a way that somehow feels more real than ever before.

Me, well, I liked it. She's got some cool ideas in here -- like the idea of developing code using a three-dimensional interface more like Tinker Toys than text -- and though the book was recent-news derivative and sometimes seemed to be trying too hard to prove its bona fides in internet culture, it was definitely worth the time I invested in reading it. The book has some great worldbuilding and some very alive characters. I just wish Duane had done something with the plot other than yet another trite big epic fantasy battle and new-race-coming-into-existence. That theme is a bit overdone for my tastes, both in the literature generally and by Duane in particular. I'd love to see a story set in this universe that is as fresh and potentially real as the 'verse itself. ( )
  pammab | Nov 25, 2011 |
Oh, _fun_. I love it. The usual Duane themes of protecting life and making universes, in a very different context. VR taken to some very interesting extremes, and fascinating characters at all levels - Rik and Dev all the way down to the in-game characters who only have a couple lines. I believe there's a sequel out soonish - I'll be looking for it!
Reread in prep for the sequel - still love it, this time through I caught a lot of stuff I'd missed the first time. I suspect it will reward a third and a many-th reading as well. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Aug 30, 2011 |

A near-future techno-thriller from New York Times bestselling author Diane Duane.

It's the first quarter of the twenty-first century, and "massively multiplayer" on-line games have been around for a couple of decades. In an increasingly wired and computer-friendly world they've become a form of entertainment so popular they're giving television and films a run for the money. And the most popular gaming universe of all is Omnitopia, created by genius programmer Dev Logan.

For millions of people around the world, Omnitopia is an obsession, a passionate pastime, almost a way of life. Omnitopia is a virtual place where dreams come true-players can create their own universes within the game's structure, and participate in the profits if their piece of the universe is a hit. Ten million players routinely play in Omnitopia, and at any given time, nearly a million of them are on-line, living in a world more real to them then their own.

Worldwide, Omnitopia is now as much a culture as a game. Participants can become involved in it in a hundred different ways. Some game as if their lives depended on it, spending thousands of hours, or thousands of dollars, or both, on quests in search of "game glory" among their fellow players. Some game only to acquire sufficient in-game "value" to become entitled to become subcreators themselves, able to build new levels and start raking in the so-called "one percent of infinity" which is the leveler's share of the profits. But there are also people who don't game at all, preferring to use the massive platform simply to explore its worlds, or to interact with other participants. Some people do nothing but design on-line weapons and other items for Omnitopia gamers, and sell them-or act as brokers, buying and selling game artifacts to order. Some subcreators do the same kind of design and creation, but for tailored Microcosms or slices of them: these are the "unreal estate" dealers. Some players speculate in game "gold" on the success or popularity of Microcosms, rather than actually playing in them. And of course there are thieves and swindlers, cheaters who live to find the loophole in the game that will outside it in the real world.

Now Dev and his people are preparing to rollout a major new expansion to the Omnitopia system. And even as players, staff, the media, and the heavy hitters on the world financial scene wait eagerly for this fast-approaching and momentous event, there are others preparing to play a very different game-one that is meant to strike at the heart of Omnitopia and bring the entire system crashing down....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:35 -0400)

In an increasingly wired and computer-friendly world, massive multiplayer online games have become the ultimate form of entertainment. And the most popular gaming universe of all is Omnitopia, created by genius programmer Dev Logan. For millions of people around the world, Omnitopia is an obsession, a passionate pastime, almost a way of life. But there's a secret to Omnitopia, one that Dev would give his life to protect-the game isn't just a program or a piece of code. It's become sentient-alive. And it's Dev's job to keep it that way.… (more)

Diane Duane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,443,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible