Up and Down by Oliver Jeffers
1981259,376 (4.18)6

English (11)  Catalan (1)  All languages (12)
In my opinion, this was the most adorable book ever. I think that the purpose of this book is to highlight the importance of friendship. Through this modern fantasy, the importance of a friendship between a boy and a penguin is witnessed.

One reason why I liked this book is because of the characters. Although it is a penguin and a boy, the reader can see that they both treasure their friendship. The penguin really wants to fly, but in the end he realizes that his friendship with the boy is more important. Readers could relate to friendships like this when they are younger.

Another reason why I like this book is because of the illustrations. The pictures are very simple so the readers can understand what is going on easily. For the younger readers, like Kindergartners, they can see the illustrations and know what the story is about without having the story read to them. ( )
  epark6 | Oct 16, 2014 |
I love “Up and Down” by Oliver Jeffers. The main message of this story had my heart melting. The big idea is to show the characteristics of a true friendship. First, I simply adored the illustrations. The art is modern but not hard to identify what is going on. Oliver Jeffers uses comfortable colors such as blue and orange, and makes it easy for readers to read the text and not be distracted by the illustrations. Instead, the illustrations enhance the writing. For example, the story says at one part, “Once there were two friends who always did everything together.” Then, the pictures show the two main characters talking on the phone together, playing instrruments together, and enjoying board games together. The backgroun is white with those three simple illustrations on a page. The plot of the story is very well-paced too. From talking about how the two friends did everything together, to transitioning how one friend decided he wanted to do something all by himself. The development of the independent friend flows smoothly, as he figures out various ways to learn to fly. At the end, when the friend figures out a way to fly, the story comes to a nice conclusion that the character did not actually enjoy flying and missed his best friend. I will definitely be having this book on my future shelf. ( )
  yyoon4 | Oct 16, 2014 |
This book focuses on friendship, the exploration of new ideas, and the importance of supporting one's friends in their endeavors. The penguin expresses his want to do something on his own--fly--and the boy respects this, even though the penguin and boy usually do everything together. Throughout the book, even when they are separated, the boy and the penguin still care about each other and are loyal. ( )
  Climbing-books | Sep 13, 2014 |
I liked the book "Up and Down" written and illustrated by Oliver Jeffers. I like Jeffers' watercolour illustrations including his abstract trees and trademark stick figure legs. I thought the full page drawings of the penguin flying through the air that included dark text written directly in the dark colored crowd emphasized the penguins realization of his fear of flying the thing he wanted to do so badly. I enjoyed the fact that Jeffers also has the boy there to catch the penguin using two pages to show how the boy worked to ensure his friend landed safely, without any accompanying text. The theme of this book is the importance of friendship. ( )
  awhite43 | Mar 20, 2014 |
A cute story about two good friends, a boy and his penguin, who continue to be friends even as penguin finds a new interest... Flying! ( )
  s.michellehos | Dec 6, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399255451, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, December 2010: Oliver Jeffers has created an enchanting story of two friends, a boy and a penguin, whom we first met in Lost & Found. In Up & Down, the penguin dreams of flying--he has wings, after all--but nothing seems to be working until he spots an advertisement looking for a living cannonball. The penguin’s excitement overtakes him and he sets off to fulfill his dream without telling the boy, only to realize later how much he misses his friend. Fortunately, the boy and the penguin are soon reunited, because it’s all well and good to fly through the air alone, but the best part is having a friend to catch you on the way back down. Wonderfully expressive illustrations complement this story of independence and friendship.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:51 -0400)

Even though the penguin and the boy are close friends and do many things together, the penguin decides that he wants to fly and he wants to do it on his own.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,469,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible