Up and Down by Oliver Jeffers

English (15)  Catalan (1)  All languages (16)
I highly enjoyed this book because while it taught a valuable lesson, it was humorous along the way. Although I enjoyed many different things about the book, the following two reasons caught my eye: the writing and the illustrations. The reason that I enjoyed the writing is because this book is geared towards K-2nd graders and the author writes perfectly for this audience. His sentences are short and basic, and his vocabulary is simple, yet varied. Additionally, I enjoyed the illustrations because they were appropriate to the story, and they were humorous. For example, when the penguin finally decided to learn how to fly, he lost his friend. After falling down from the sky, he falls into his friend's hands. The illustrations in the story display this scene perfectly. As I read this portion of the book and viewed the illustration, I couldn't help but giggle. It is hard to describe, and one must read the book to understand why I find the illustrations humorous. The overall message of the story was that people will always experience complexities in friendships; however, nothing beats having a loyal friend by your side. ( )
  aholli3 | Mar 12, 2015 |
I really loved this story more many reasons. The storyline itself was really charming. First, the idea of little boy having a best friend penguin is really cute. Then the fact that the penguin has dreams of flying, is interesting. But lastly, that they realize they just want to be together playing their favorite game is a great ending. Beyond just the story the being a cute idea there are other reasons why I like the story. One thing I like is that the illustrations pair really well with the written text. The two have very similar styles, and go effortlessly together. For example the illustrations are very simplistic in my opinion, kind of like the written text. The text does not have extra fluff words, just like the illustrations do not have too many extra details. The illustrations also do a good job pulling the reader into the story and further engaging the reader. Another reason that I liked the story was because the language was very clear. Readers would be able to read the story and not be confused with difficult language. This also helped the story to flow well. An additional support that helped the story flow was the pace of the plot. The story kept a steady pace throughout, and did not feel that things were rushed or too slow in the story. Throughout the story there is one clear goal, the penguin wants to fly. Having this one goal allows the story to keep a steady pace. Because throughout the story he is trying different things to accomplish this goal. During the story there is a time when the story does get more suspenseful. When the penguin walks away without telling the boy where he is going there is a moment of uncertainty, and wondering if they will be able to find each other again. The suspense is then increased when the boy finally finds the penguin and he is being shot out of a cannon. I personally wondered if he was going to get injured, but this kind of suspense only pulled me more into the story. Students will want to keep reading the story to find out what will happen to the little penguin. This will create a real interest in the story. Overall, I thought this was a great story of friendship, and I think the big idea of the story is the power of friendship. Their friendship overcame the separation, and was only stronger in the end as they are playing their favorite game. ( )
  kmetca1 | Mar 8, 2015 |
I enjoyed reading this story because it was fun and light-hearted. The story encouraged the reader to think about ways to be more independent and what it means to be independent. It also promotes a sense of friendship and what it means to be a good friend. The little boy was obviously worried about his friend and wouldn't let him take on his adventure alone. The story offers a feel-good moment at the end when the boy and penguin realize that being yourself is the best possible option. I think the story promotes the importance of individuality and accepting yourself as you are. The watercolor illustrations are a great pairing with the soft colors used to depict the story. ( )
  ssmith93 | Dec 10, 2014 |
Up and Down by Oliver Jeffers is about a boy and his penguin. They like to play backgammon together but the penguin has bigger aspirations — he wants to fly. His desire to learn how to fly leads him down a strange path that ultimately takes him to the circus.

The illustrations are cute, done in a retro kitschy style. They carry the slapstick and emotion of the penguin trying to fly and the boy doing his darnest to help him learn. Finding the solution involves things like a balloon, an airplane, a trip to the zoo and a cannon.

Up and Down is the fourth and final book in The Boys series. The others are How to Catch a Star, Lost and Found, and The Way Home. This book stands alone just fine but I would like to read the others. ( )
  pussreboots | Dec 10, 2014 |
In my opinion, this was the most adorable book ever. I think that the purpose of this book is to highlight the importance of friendship. Through this modern fantasy, the importance of a friendship between a boy and a penguin is witnessed.

One reason why I liked this book is because of the characters. Although it is a penguin and a boy, the reader can see that they both treasure their friendship. The penguin really wants to fly, but in the end he realizes that his friendship with the boy is more important. Readers could relate to friendships like this when they are younger.

Another reason why I like this book is because of the illustrations. The pictures are very simple so the readers can understand what is going on easily. For the younger readers, like Kindergartners, they can see the illustrations and know what the story is about without having the story read to them. ( )
  epark6 | Oct 16, 2014 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399255451, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, December 2010: Oliver Jeffers has created an enchanting story of two friends, a boy and a penguin, whom we first met in Lost & Found. In Up & Down, the penguin dreams of flying--he has wings, after all--but nothing seems to be working until he spots an advertisement looking for a living cannonball. The penguin’s excitement overtakes him and he sets off to fulfill his dream without telling the boy, only to realize later how much he misses his friend. Fortunately, the boy and the penguin are soon reunited, because it’s all well and good to fly through the air alone, but the best part is having a friend to catch you on the way back down. Wonderfully expressive illustrations complement this story of independence and friendship.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:48 -0400)

Even though the penguin and the boy are close friends and do many things together, the penguin decides that he wants to fly and he wants to do it on his own.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,422,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible