Up and Down by Oliver Jeffers

Up and Down (edition 2010)

by Oliver Jeffers

2832039,844 (4.16)8
Title:Up and Down
Authors:Oliver Jeffers
Info:Harpercollins Childrens H/B (2010), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Your library, Read 2013
Tags:picture book, male author, Australian / American author & illustrator, friendship, penguins, flight

Up and Down by Oliver Jeffers

English (19)  Catalan (1)  All languages (20)
The theme of this book is that friendship helps get through difficult situations. This book takes you on a journey between a boy and a penguin. The penguin is trying to overcome an obstacle and the boy is trying to help. The pictures are very engaging and very unique. I would 100% have this book in my classroom library because of the simplicity and engagement the book offers. This book is non-fiction, as people don't hangout with penguins. The book is easy to relate to anyone who misses their friend, or owns a pet. My only negative comment is sometimes the author puts dark colored words on a dark or black background, which makes the words hard to read. ( )
  pwood3 | Oct 24, 2016 |
27 months - Love the illustrations and we enjoyed the story. I think we enjoyed Lost and Found more but this was a nice sequel. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
In my opinion this is a great children’s book for several reasons. First, the illustrations throughout the book are filled with beautiful colors that enhance the written language. For example, “they always did everything together,” is enhanced through illustrations of the boy and penguin talking on the phone, playing instruments, and board games together. Also, the language in the book is simple, clear, and easy to follow. Lastly, I enjoyed this book because the main idea is one that young children can easily relate to and understand. The main idea of the story revolves around the importance of friendship. The relationship between the boy and the penguin reflects that some experiences in life are not as special unless they are shared with friends. ( )
  dbrock3 | Sep 14, 2015 |
  acalomeris | Aug 24, 2015 |
I highly enjoyed this book because while it taught a valuable lesson, it was humorous along the way. Although I enjoyed many different things about the book, the following two reasons caught my eye: the writing and the illustrations. The reason that I enjoyed the writing is because this book is geared towards K-2nd graders and the author writes perfectly for this audience. His sentences are short and basic, and his vocabulary is simple, yet varied. Additionally, I enjoyed the illustrations because they were appropriate to the story, and they were humorous. For example, when the penguin finally decided to learn how to fly, he lost his friend. After falling down from the sky, he falls into his friend's hands. The illustrations in the story display this scene perfectly. As I read this portion of the book and viewed the illustration, I couldn't help but giggle. It is hard to describe, and one must read the book to understand why I find the illustrations humorous. The overall message of the story was that people will always experience complexities in friendships; however, nothing beats having a loyal friend by your side. ( )
  aholli3 | Mar 12, 2015 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399255451, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, December 2010: Oliver Jeffers has created an enchanting story of two friends, a boy and a penguin, whom we first met in Lost & Found. In Up & Down, the penguin dreams of flying--he has wings, after all--but nothing seems to be working until he spots an advertisement looking for a living cannonball. The penguin’s excitement overtakes him and he sets off to fulfill his dream without telling the boy, only to realize later how much he misses his friend. Fortunately, the boy and the penguin are soon reunited, because it’s all well and good to fly through the air alone, but the best part is having a friend to catch you on the way back down. Wonderfully expressive illustrations complement this story of independence and friendship.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:48 -0400)

Even though the penguin and the boy are close friends and do many things together, the penguin decides that he wants to fly and he wants to do it on his own.

40 wanted1 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,799,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible