Up and Down by Oliver Jeffers

Up and Down (edition 2010)

by Oliver Jeffers

171None69,338 (4.15)6
Member:Chris-86
Title:Up and Down
Authors:Oliver Jeffers
Info:Harpercollins Childrens H/B (2010), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Your library, Read 2013
Tags:picture book, male author, Australian / American author & illustrator, friendship, penguins, flight

Up and Down by Oliver Jeffers

I liked the book "Up and Down" written and illustrated by Oliver Jeffers. I like Jeffers' watercolour illustrations including his abstract trees and trademark stick figure legs. I thought the full page drawings of the penguin flying through the air that included dark text written directly in the dark colored crowd emphasized the penguins realization of his fear of flying the thing he wanted to do so badly. I enjoyed the fact that Jeffers also has the boy there to catch the penguin using two pages to show how the boy worked to ensure his friend landed safely, without any accompanying text. The theme of this book is the importance of friendship. ( )
  awhite43 | Mar 20, 2014 |
A cute story about two good friends, a boy and his penguin, who continue to be friends even as penguin finds a new interest... Flying! ( )
  s.michellehos | Dec 6, 2013 |
A fun sequel to Lost and Found. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Tells a good tale about friendship and has wonderful artwork (in my mind I could almost see it as a Pixar movie). ( )
  h_d | Mar 31, 2013 |
Featured at An Abundance of Books

You might not have noticed, but I love Oliver Jeffers. So it should come as no surprise that I actually squeed out loud when I saw Up and Down on sale at my local book store. Even funnier was that family shopping in the isle next to the new arrivals display contained not one but three of my students. The oldest girl was one of my first graders and when she saw me bouncing and squee-ing she said, "It's a new penguin book!". That's not normally how I like to meet parents for the first time, but the kids understood, and we both walked out with copies of Up and Down.

The boy and the penguin return in this vibrantly hued watercolor picture book. The boy and the penguin are best friends and the always do everything together. But one day penguin realizes that there's something he would like to do and it's really important and he needs to do it by himself. Penguin wants to fly. Penguin tries and tries, with varying degrees of failure, and every step of the way is the boy trying to help him.

Finally the boy offered to fly penguin around in his airplane. But first of all, the planes engine hadn't recover from the last flight (The Way Back Home) and secondly, penguin really felt that flying was something he had to do by himself. The boy continues to assist and after doing some reading (in a book titled "Penguins Can't Fly") they decide it's time to ask for help. While the boy is asking various birds how they fly the penguin is distracted by a poster looking for someone who is short, fat and dreaming of flying to become the next Living Cannon Ball. The Penguin is thrilled and rushes off, forgetting to tell the boy were he'd gone.

I'm a big fan of the penguin, more so than the boy, because the he is so cute and squashy and expressive. I loved that the boy was supportive of his friend even though penguin was eventually going to fly by himself. I think this is a great reminder for younger children that it's ok if their friend wants to do something by themselves - they will still be friends. (We have lots of tears over this particular argument with our kindergarten kids.) The illustrations, as usual, are fantabulous and I love the bright warm colors that Jeffers' uses. this is quite simply a lovely and sweet book - a great addition to any family library.

Read full review HERE ( )
1 vote AbundanceofBooks | Aug 4, 2011 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399255451, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, December 2010: Oliver Jeffers has created an enchanting story of two friends, a boy and a penguin, whom we first met in Lost & Found. In Up & Down, the penguin dreams of flying--he has wings, after all--but nothing seems to be working until he spots an advertisement looking for a living cannonball. The penguin’s excitement overtakes him and he sets off to fulfill his dream without telling the boy, only to realize later how much he misses his friend. Fortunately, the boy and the penguin are soon reunited, because it’s all well and good to fly through the air alone, but the best part is having a friend to catch you on the way back down. Wonderfully expressive illustrations complement this story of independence and friendship.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:51 -0400)

Even though the penguin and the boy are close friends and do many things together, the penguin decides that he wants to fly and he wants to do it on his own.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,472,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible