Many Waters by Madeleine L'Engle

Many Waters (1986)

by Madeleine L'Engle

Series: The Time Quintet (4)

4,609None1,037 (3.87)73
adventure (34) angels (29) biblical (36) children (57) children's (137) children's fiction (36) children's literature (70) fantasy (678) fiction (550) juvenile (44) L'Engle (42) Noah (42) Noah's Ark (39) novel (63) own (42) paperback (30) read (95) religion (51) science fiction (315) series (114) sf (33) sff (48) Time Quartet (60) Time Quintet (30) time travel (201) to-read (39) twins (36) unread (37) YA (153) young adult (251)

Pointless, boring and kind of inane. Sandy and Dennys are not very good characters, and the plot is a rambling, irritating jumble of nonsense. Reminds me of the worst of the Narnia books. ( )
  wirehead | Jul 9, 2013 |
I thought the book was better than the second in the series but not as good as the first or third ones. The events in this one should have been reflected in the twins' reactions in the third book since chronologically it takes place before it. But the book wasn't written until after the third book was written, so they aren't. One of the hazards of writig the evnets of a series out of order.

The kids enjoyed the book, but I think we all thought A Wrinkle in Time was the best of the bunch. ( )
  TnTexas | May 17, 2013 |
It's been a long time since I read the first three books in this series, so I have relatively vague memories of the various kids. Still, I recalled enough to know that this is the first time the twins Sandy and Denny get to enjoy the spotlight. In this story, the twins are sent back in time to live with Noah and his relatives, pre-ark. It's a pleasant read that nicely straddles both the line between child and adult, and between religious faith and scepticism. It is by nature a religious story, but not so much that it hits you over the head. The twins themselves seem unconvinced by the end of the book.

All in all, a nice read that doesn't so much continue the Murry story's family, as send two of its characters on a tangential adventure. ( )
  BMorrisAllen | May 14, 2013 |
I preferred it to A Swiftly Tilting Planet quite a lot, maybe not quite as much as A Wrinkle in Time...but close. It was an odd jump backwards in time, but I suppose I should have expected that eh? I read it rather quickly, which is a good sign. But, I started the last book in this series already and it seems a bit log she's flogging the proverbial dead horse at this point. Hopefully my 13 year old niece will enjoy it more, I've been passing them down to her as I finish them. ( )
  Ameliapei | Apr 18, 2013 |
I've got no memory at all of this, though I could have sworn I read it. I liked seeing Sandy and Dennys away from the rest of the Murry clan, and I really enjoyed what can only be called a Biblically-inspired romp in the desert. I found L'Engle's take on the supernatural beings interesting, and I'd love one of those pocket mammoths.

And yet there wasn't any blood here. No juice. No essence. No matter the faults of the other Murry books, they are juicy and full of life. This one struck me as extraordinarily dry. Also, what's with all the rosy breasts? Every single breast in this book was rosy.

satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |

Madeleine L'Engleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, JodyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nelson, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sis, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Stephen Roxburgh
A sudden snow shower put an end to hockey practice.
Many waters cannot quench love, nor can the floods drown it.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440405483, Paperback)

We've all done it. In the frigid depths of winter we've wished we could be magically transported to someplace warm and sunny. But most people don't have genius parents who just happen to be working on a scientific experiment with time travel at the moment of our wish. Sandy and Dennys Murry, the "normal" boys in a family of geniuses, suddenly find themselves trudging through a blazing-hot desert, seeking a far-off oasis for shade. Their desperate wandering brings them face-to-face with history--biblical history. Soon they're feeling right at home with Noah and his family. Even so, the urgent question is, how will Sandy and Dennys get back to their own place and time before the floods--the many waters--come? As they begin to cross the invisible border into adulthood, the twins must confront their ability to resist temptation and embrace integrity.

In Many Waters, Madeleine L'Engle continues the Murry family saga, which includes A Wrinkle in Time; A Wind in the Door; and A Swiftly Tilting Planet, which won the American Book Award. L'Engle's mystical mix of science fiction and fantasy, time and space travel, history, morals, religion, and culture once again urges her many adoring readers to stretch their minds and hearts to understand why the world is the way it is. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:21 -0400)

The fifteen-year-old Murry twins, Sandy and Dennys, are accidentally sent back to a strange Biblical time period, in which mythical beasts roam the desert and a man named Noah is building a boat in preparation for a great flood.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible