Many Waters by Madeleine L'Engle

Many Waters (1986)

by Madeleine L'Engle

Series: The Time Quintet (4)

adventure (34) angels (30) biblical (37) children (58) children's (137) children's fiction (36) children's literature (71) fantasy (690) fiction (556) juvenile (43) L'Engle (42) Madeleine L'Engle (32) Noah (42) Noah's Ark (39) novel (63) own (42) paperback (30) read (95) religion (52) science fiction (319) series (114) sf (33) sff (50) Time Quartet (60) time travel (208) to-read (38) twins (36) unread (39) YA (154) young adult (253)

This isn't my favorite book in the Time Quintent, but it's close. I love that the focus changes from Meg and/or Charles Wallace to Sandy and Dennys-- the "ordinary" ones of the family, as they say. They have their own adventure as well, which is handled with the complexity that it deserves. Looking back, there's a lot of issue packed in the book, given it's size. Sandy and Dennys can't deny that they've traveled through time and space, but they don't just accept everything either. It's refreshing to see them struggle with belief, knowledge of what happens in the future, and their own feelings. I always thought the biblical setting was extremely well-done. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
Many Waters by Madeleine L'Engle is about twin brothers who accidentally tamper with their father's experiment and get sent back in time to biblical prehistory where people live for hundreds of years and mythological creatures are commonplace. They are unprepared for the extreme desert climate and suffer from extreme sunburn and heat stroke. Some natives, who turn out to be the family of the biblical Noah, help nurse them back to health. After the twins realize where and when they are, they must race against time to figure out a way to get home before the flood waters come.

I really enjoyed this book and especially liked how the author drew from non-traditional religious sources such as The Book of Enoch. I also really liked some of the spiritual themes in this book which seemed universal even if it is based on a Judeo-Christian story. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys biblical fantasy or enjoyed the author's other books. Although this book was written after A Swiftly Tilting Planet, it actually takes place before that book. I personally prefer to read these books in chronological order, but I would only recommend that others do so if they don't mind taking a break from the main characters that feature in the first three books of this series. ( )
  Kythe42 | Jun 1, 2014 |
About mystery and listening.
  lgaikwad | Apr 27, 2014 |
Pointless, boring and kind of inane. Sandy and Dennys are not very good characters, and the plot is a rambling, irritating jumble of nonsense. Reminds me of the worst of the Narnia books. ( )
  wirehead | Jul 9, 2013 |
I thought the book was better than the second in the series but not as good as the first or third ones. The events in this one should have been reflected in the twins' reactions in the third book since chronologically it takes place before it. But the book wasn't written until after the third book was written, so they aren't. One of the hazards of writig the evnets of a series out of order.

The kids enjoyed the book, but I think we all thought A Wrinkle in Time was the best of the bunch. ( )
  TnTexas | May 17, 2013 |

Madeleine L'Engleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, JodyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nelson, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sis, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Stephen Roxburgh
A sudden snow shower put an end to hockey practice.
Many waters cannot quench love, nor can the floods drown it.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440405483, Paperback)

We've all done it. In the frigid depths of winter we've wished we could be magically transported to someplace warm and sunny. But most people don't have genius parents who just happen to be working on a scientific experiment with time travel at the moment of our wish. Sandy and Dennys Murry, the "normal" boys in a family of geniuses, suddenly find themselves trudging through a blazing-hot desert, seeking a far-off oasis for shade. Their desperate wandering brings them face-to-face with history--biblical history. Soon they're feeling right at home with Noah and his family. Even so, the urgent question is, how will Sandy and Dennys get back to their own place and time before the floods--the many waters--come? As they begin to cross the invisible border into adulthood, the twins must confront their ability to resist temptation and embrace integrity.

In Many Waters, Madeleine L'Engle continues the Murry family saga, which includes A Wrinkle in Time; A Wind in the Door; and A Swiftly Tilting Planet, which won the American Book Award. L'Engle's mystical mix of science fiction and fantasy, time and space travel, history, morals, religion, and culture once again urges her many adoring readers to stretch their minds and hearts to understand why the world is the way it is. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:21 -0400)

The fifteen-year-old Murry twins, Sandy and Dennys, are accidentally sent back to a strange Biblical time period, in which mythical beasts roam the desert and a man named Noah is building a boat in preparation for a great flood.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,523,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible