Many Waters by Madeleine L'Engle

Many Waters (1986)

by Madeleine L'Engle

Series: The Time Quintet (4)

The twins are accidentally sent back to the time of Noah.

Having the people dress in loincloths seems an odd choice for people living in a dessert. And pet miniature Mammoths.

Nephilim was the name for the offspring of the angles who came to earth and humans, not the angels. That annoyed me as I read it.

The disagreement between Noah and his father didn't make a lot of sense in a patriarchal society. But it gave the twins a chance to play peacemaker.

And I really don't see the point of creating Yalith and her story line. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jul 1, 2018 |
I think this book would serve far better as a standalone than as a proper part of the [b:Wrinkle in Time|18131|A Wrinkle in Time (Time, #1)|Madeleine L'Engle|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1329061522s/18131.jpg|948387] movement. Aside from Sandy and Denny, the other characters are pretty much only mentioned. It isn't as involved with Meg and the family as [b:A Swiftly Tilting Planet|77276|A Swiftly Tilting Planet (Time, #3)|Madeleine L'Engle|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327465278s/77276.jpg|1196024] managed to be, and really only tangentially dealt with the science aspects that dominated the other three books. The idea of something only existing when it is observed, however, is one that's fascinating and worth a bit of a think.

So, [b:Many Waters|151370|Many Waters (Time, #4)|Madeleine L'Engle|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1330360643s/151370.jpg|1575861] basically has Sandy and Denny travel back in time to hang out with Noah and his family in antedivulian times and deal with Seraphim and Nephilim. Yeah, it is overtly Biblical fiction, and although the author butchers Neanderthals a bit in her depictions of them all in all the ideas of how people survived in that time aren't terrible. It would do to interest people in prehistoric times, perhaps?

I didn't like it as much as I enjoyed the other books. I did enjoy the fact that as a coming of age story it dealt more directly with ideas of budding sexuality and how sometimes what you want isn't necessarily what you should have. The importance of family is emphasized, as well as the importance of following one's instincts and in general doing the right thing even if it isn't the easy thing to do. The ending felt a bit rushed, and I think the book would have done better to not be written for a YA audience, but that might just be the fact that I'm older now.

Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Not my favorite in the series. The twins are ok but I prefer Meg and Christopher Wallace. ( )
  DKnight0918 | May 31, 2018 |
I found myself tossed out of the story from time to time. "Seriously?" I'd think to myself, "She wouldn't... this could go so very badly." Ms. L'Engle drew me back into the story each time; the risks paid off lovingly, with aching beauty. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
I remembered this book as my favorite of the Time Quintet, so when I started reading the series to Jefferson, this was the one I was most looking forward to reading to him. It was mostly as magical as I remembered, with the nephilim and seraphim. There were some ways that what seemed to be an uncomfortable simplification of evolution annoyed me (manticores that can speak -- fine. But tiny mammoths? Really?) Then there were all the scenes of the twins' blossoming sexual awareness (all PG-rated, but still) that were vaguely awkward to read to one's ten-year-old son.

I'm looking forward to reading the fourth book, which I don't think I ever got to when I was young. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |

Madeleine L'Engleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mikolaycak, CharlesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morrill, RowenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nelson, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sis, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Stephen Roxburgh
A sudden snow shower put an end to hockey practice.
Many waters cannot quench love, nor can the floods drown it.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440405483, Paperback)

We've all done it. In the frigid depths of winter we've wished we could be magically transported to someplace warm and sunny. But most people don't have genius parents who just happen to be working on a scientific experiment with time travel at the moment of our wish. Sandy and Dennys Murry, the "normal" boys in a family of geniuses, suddenly find themselves trudging through a blazing-hot desert, seeking a far-off oasis for shade. Their desperate wandering brings them face-to-face with history--biblical history. Soon they're feeling right at home with Noah and his family. Even so, the urgent question is, how will Sandy and Dennys get back to their own place and time before the floods--the many waters--come? As they begin to cross the invisible border into adulthood, the twins must confront their ability to resist temptation and embrace integrity.

In Many Waters, Madeleine L'Engle continues the Murry family saga, which includes A Wrinkle in Time; A Wind in the Door; and A Swiftly Tilting Planet, which won the American Book Award. L'Engle's mystical mix of science fiction and fantasy, time and space travel, history, morals, religion, and culture once again urges her many adoring readers to stretch their minds and hearts to understand why the world is the way it is. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:44 -0400)

The fifteen-year-old Murry twins, Sandy and Dennys, are accidentally sent back to a strange Biblical time period, in which mythical beasts roam the desert and a man named Noah is building a boat in preparation for a great flood.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,977,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible