Promise by Kristie Cook

Collections:Read
Rating:*****
Tags:Paranormal

Promise by Kristie Cook

I really enjoyed this book. I enjoy books where the author tells a story that doesn't sound like something I read somewhere else, and I can never remember reading anything like this. I'll have to look into book 2. ( )
  MaryAlice411 | Feb 13, 2014 |
This book helped me to escape from the real world and for that I am greatful. I couldn't put it down, I wanted to know what was going to happen next.

Alexis is a 19 year old who says that her mother doesn't age. She has grown up without a father and has had to move frequently over the years.

As the story progresses you learn that Alexis is not a normal young adult, she is special and she has an uncanny ability to tell between good and evil. Her romance develops with a tall dark and handsome stranger. She has never felt like a normal girl, she didn't have boyfriends and due to her special abilities she was called a freak. The love that Alexis and Tristan share can be felt when you read the story.

Alexis's mother has withheld information about Alexis's past and her abilities, slowly her past and future are being revealed to her. I cannot say much without being a spoiler.

The writing in this book is inspiring. Kristie Cook is able to draw in the reader and keep your interest. It was easy to forget about the real world and stay with this book. ( )
  Budda1114 | Aug 5, 2013 |
4.5 Stars. This book opens with a lot of action, and it really sucked me in. I did feel a little like the very first scene of this book was a little disjointed from the rest of it; but, after reading the second book in this series it makes sense how it all fits together. The whole book has a very quick pace, which I enjoyed for the most part. Although at the beginning there were a few scenes that I wouldn't have minded if they'd been slowed down a bit.

Cook has wonderfully descriptive scenes, and fun sassy dialogue. I loved her main character Alexis. She is an introverted type, partly because of all the moving around she did as a kid. She never had time to make close friends. She also at times has low self-esteem, maybe again because she never had a chance to really connect with anyone, and maybe partly because of things she went through as a teen. Alexis has been an outcast, a freak, and rejected, and I found myself completely able to relate to her. And, she's got sass too. She's introverted but also independent and she channels her feelings into her writing. I liked that she had this talent; it made her feel like a very well rounded character. Also, she's not weak; she's a strong young woman. She just prefers to keep to herself.

There were times when I found Alexis a little too naive. I just wish she had explained better why she never looked deeper into what she was. Also, there were some things that were obvious to me, but she was completely oblivious to them. So, while I liked her character I felt she wasn't the most perceptive and that her lack of perception was somewhat unbelievable.

Tristan was also a wonderful character. From the very beginning I found him fascinating. He was confidant and very forward but also down-to-earth. However, he could be a little cheesy at times. For the most part I loved his character, but some of the things he said to Alexis, like constantly following up her name with "my love" was a little too much for me. I also hated that Alexis was always referring to Tristian as "yummy" or "delicious" as if she were eying up a candy bar. Despite these little annoyances however, their relationship really felt like it clicked to me. It felt real and felt like it truly grew. I believed Alexis when she said she was drawn to him and could feel that they were truly falling in love. I also liked that their relationship took time to develop.

This was a wonderful love story, and while there were also some unique ideas being used there were also defiantly some overdone plot devices as well. I can see why some people compared this to Twilight. Both Promise and Twilight are about this unyielding, forever love that two people experience, and they both involve supernatural creatures dealing with how to control and hide their powers. Because of this there are some similar themes between the books. But, I have to say, this book as a whole was very different from Twilight.

Also, I was bothered by the fact that some people didn't think this was YA, but that's mostly because I think a lot of people have a really screwed up definition of what YA stands for. YA - young ADULT. This book is not for kids. I would give it a 17+ rating because there are some really steamy scenes, but that's still YA for me. At 17 you're a young adult. And on that note, the romance in this was hot!

One thing that was odd to me about this book was that Alexis wonders if her mother and Tristan will hook up. This just seems like a strange thing to wonder about your mother. Did her mother often date much younger men? Obviously as we learn more about the nature of just what Alexis, Tristan and Sophia are this question isn't as weird, but in the beginning before Alexis knows what she is I find this to be an odd thought for her to have. Later it's also clear that she and her mom are very close, they are almost more like sisters or friends then mother and daughter, but I think at first this really threw me off.

Where I had some problems with this book was at the end. I liked the way the plot went, but the story lost me a little. I didn't feel Tristan's sacrifice, and I'm not sure I entirely understood his decision. He seemed to go off and walk right into exactly what they were avoiding. I just wish the ending had sucked me in a little more, but for whatever reason it didn't. All together though this was a great read and after finishing it I immediately picked up its sequel Purpose.

For More Reviews by Lauryn April go to http://laurynapril.blogspot.com ( )
  LaurynApril | Jan 2, 2013 |
I am not normally into angels and demons type books but this was really intriguing and well thought out. So good I bought the 2nd book in the series as soon as I finished it. ( )
  Daydreambooks | Nov 24, 2012 |
My first ever book I’ve read of Kristie Cooks and I will certainly be adding her to my list of authors to follow ;)

Promise is not at all what I first anticipated in reading the blurb it was so much more. Intriguing, captivating and catapulting me on a whirlwind of twists and turns till the very end. This book had me intrigued and definitely keen to keep on reading, I read this in one sitting... I was swept along with the storyline, enjoying the flow and the way in which the direction took me.

The plot had me drawn in, I found this to be a fluent flowing storyline, with characters that I’m sure you will swoon over, fall in love with and also shed a tear for. Characters that I’m sure you will also enjoy and find intriguing.

A love that will not only have you sheepishly grinning, but also have you heart a- fluttering. Emotions and descriptions are well put forth, creating that world that Kristi has put forth, and the character traits to go with.

Kristi has created a world where Good vs. Evil = Heaven Vs Hell - Angels, Demons, protectors and so much more, a human world filled with paranormals and a storyline which is unique of its own.

Tristan is every girls dream boat, hot - gorgeous, charming, romantic and off course protective. I enjoyed his character, fighting the demon within to be with and find love, his true love - soul mate. Tristan and Alexis love was magnetic, electrifying - it gave tingles just reading it... It was so romantic and made you smile at moments, and giggle at others, and also heart warming moments where you heart sunk. I’m such a romantic at heart and enjoyed every moment... The love was not instant, it was slow and gradual and not your fall in love at first site, I enjoyed this concept. Alexis is insecure, very emotional , but has her goals which she focused on and in time her maturity and thoughts changed, I enjoyed seeing her change along the way.

Tristan and Alexis is a match made in Heaven n Hell, will hell win and reclaim his soul?

Demons hunt the souls and the Angels defend them..... A family line continues on to fight good over evil, but is the line stopping at Alexis? We are introduced to two world in this story, Good and Evil and the reasons behind the fued... Im hoping to see a little more into these worlds in book two.

The ending to Promise will have you teary eyed and anticipating book two - Definably an unpredictable ending for sure...

If you after a read filled with lust, passion, romance, suspense, action, then this paranormal series is for you...
  Katrina.Whittaker | Feb 27, 2012 |
For Shawn, Zakary, Austin and Nathan Cook
And for Chrissi Jackson
The sensation of being watched clung to me like a spider web, invisible threads bristling the back of my neck and down my spine.

Her life is full of promise…but not all promises can be kept.

When Alexis Ames is attacked by creatures that can’t be real, she decides it’s time she learns who she really is, with or without the help of her mother, who guards their family’s secrets closely. After meeting the inhumanly attractive, multi-talented Tristan Knight, however, Alexis retreats behind her façade of normalcy…until she discovers he’s not exactly normal either. Then their secrets begin to unravel.

Their union brings hope and promise to her family’s secret society, the Angels’ army, and to the future of mankind. But it also incites a dangerous pursuit by the enemy – Satan’s minions and Tristan’s creators. After all, Alexis and Tristan are a match made in Heaven and in Hell.

New Adult Paranormal Romance ** Mature Content ** Recommended for ages 16+ due to sexual situations and language

Titles in the Soul Savers series:
Power: Book 4
Wrath: Book 5

First installment of the best-selling, award-winning Soul Savers Series

****

Alexis Ames has a life full of promise...but not all promises can be kept.

****

Over 150,000 Soul Savers books sold!

****

1st Place - 2010 Royal Palm Literary Award - Fantasy (Published) by Florida Writers Association

****

"An exciting and fascinating fantasy of demons and angels, highly recommended" - Midwest Book Review

"This is an interesting story with no happily-ever-after, at least not yet...Tristan is a great tortured hero" 4 stars - RT Book Review

"A page-turner that keeps the reader spell-bound to the end, eager to discover what comes next" - The Charlotte Sun

****

When Alexis Ames is attacked by creatures that can't be real, she decides it's time she learns who she really is, with or without the help of her mother, who guards their family's secrets closely. After meeting the inhumanly attractive, multi-talented Tristan Knight, however, Alexis retreats behind her façade of normalcy...until she discovers he's not exactly normal either. Then their secrets begin to unravel.

Their union brings hope and promise to her family's secret society, the Angels' army, and to the future of mankind. But it also incites a dangerous pursuit by the enemy - Satan's minions and Tristan's creators. After all, Alexis and Tristan are a match made in Heaven and in Hell.

****

"It had me up late at night to 'just read another chapter'" - Author Jessica Bell

"I would recommend this to anyone who has read Christine Feehan's Carpathian novels." - P.A. Fleming

"Promise is a book bursting at the seams - with an ending that'll leave you wanting more." - L. Reeves, A Life Bound by Books

"...completely blown away by the writing, story line, and characters..." - Jessica, Total Bookaholic

Mature Content Advisory--may not be suitable for younger readers

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:30 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,278,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible