Promise by Kristie Cook

Collections:Read
Rating:*****
Tags:Paranormal

Promise by Kristie Cook

Got tired of all the drama, Alexis is not even a teenager. She is nineteen! He also behaves very much like Edward, in an emotionally immature, I-want-to-kill-you, but-I-love-you way. DNF
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I was honestly surprised by this writer and her paranormal world which existed on the premise of good and evil, Amadis and Deamoni, God and satan, This was an interesting perspective together with a griping storyline. I enjoyed watching the characters develop and the excitement and can't wait to see what happens in the next book of the series. I wasn't aware of Ms Cook but her writing and imagination has definitely caught my attention. ( )
  thicks | Nov 1, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book. I enjoy books where the author tells a story that doesn't sound like something I read somewhere else, and I can never remember reading anything like this. I'll have to look into book 2. ( )
  MaryAlice411 | Feb 13, 2014 |
This book helped me to escape from the real world and for that I am greatful. I couldn't put it down, I wanted to know what was going to happen next.

Alexis is a 19 year old who says that her mother doesn't age. She has grown up without a father and has had to move frequently over the years.

As the story progresses you learn that Alexis is not a normal young adult, she is special and she has an uncanny ability to tell between good and evil. Her romance develops with a tall dark and handsome stranger. She has never felt like a normal girl, she didn't have boyfriends and due to her special abilities she was called a freak. The love that Alexis and Tristan share can be felt when you read the story.

Alexis's mother has withheld information about Alexis's past and her abilities, slowly her past and future are being revealed to her. I cannot say much without being a spoiler.

The writing in this book is inspiring. Kristie Cook is able to draw in the reader and keep your interest. It was easy to forget about the real world and stay with this book. ( )
  Budda1114 | Aug 5, 2013 |
4.5 Stars. This book opens with a lot of action, and it really sucked me in. I did feel a little like the very first scene of this book was a little disjointed from the rest of it; but, after reading the second book in this series it makes sense how it all fits together. The whole book has a very quick pace, which I enjoyed for the most part. Although at the beginning there were a few scenes that I wouldn't have minded if they'd been slowed down a bit.

Cook has wonderfully descriptive scenes, and fun sassy dialogue. I loved her main character Alexis. She is an introverted type, partly because of all the moving around she did as a kid. She never had time to make close friends. She also at times has low self-esteem, maybe again because she never had a chance to really connect with anyone, and maybe partly because of things she went through as a teen. Alexis has been an outcast, a freak, and rejected, and I found myself completely able to relate to her. And, she's got sass too. She's introverted but also independent and she channels her feelings into her writing. I liked that she had this talent; it made her feel like a very well rounded character. Also, she's not weak; she's a strong young woman. She just prefers to keep to herself.

There were times when I found Alexis a little too naive. I just wish she had explained better why she never looked deeper into what she was. Also, there were some things that were obvious to me, but she was completely oblivious to them. So, while I liked her character I felt she wasn't the most perceptive and that her lack of perception was somewhat unbelievable.

Tristan was also a wonderful character. From the very beginning I found him fascinating. He was confidant and very forward but also down-to-earth. However, he could be a little cheesy at times. For the most part I loved his character, but some of the things he said to Alexis, like constantly following up her name with "my love" was a little too much for me. I also hated that Alexis was always referring to Tristian as "yummy" or "delicious" as if she were eying up a candy bar. Despite these little annoyances however, their relationship really felt like it clicked to me. It felt real and felt like it truly grew. I believed Alexis when she said she was drawn to him and could feel that they were truly falling in love. I also liked that their relationship took time to develop.

This was a wonderful love story, and while there were also some unique ideas being used there were also defiantly some overdone plot devices as well. I can see why some people compared this to Twilight. Both Promise and Twilight are about this unyielding, forever love that two people experience, and they both involve supernatural creatures dealing with how to control and hide their powers. Because of this there are some similar themes between the books. But, I have to say, this book as a whole was very different from Twilight.

Also, I was bothered by the fact that some people didn't think this was YA, but that's mostly because I think a lot of people have a really screwed up definition of what YA stands for. YA - young ADULT. This book is not for kids. I would give it a 17+ rating because there are some really steamy scenes, but that's still YA for me. At 17 you're a young adult. And on that note, the romance in this was hot!

One thing that was odd to me about this book was that Alexis wonders if her mother and Tristan will hook up. This just seems like a strange thing to wonder about your mother. Did her mother often date much younger men? Obviously as we learn more about the nature of just what Alexis, Tristan and Sophia are this question isn't as weird, but in the beginning before Alexis knows what she is I find this to be an odd thought for her to have. Later it's also clear that she and her mom are very close, they are almost more like sisters or friends then mother and daughter, but I think at first this really threw me off.

Where I had some problems with this book was at the end. I liked the way the plot went, but the story lost me a little. I didn't feel Tristan's sacrifice, and I'm not sure I entirely understood his decision. He seemed to go off and walk right into exactly what they were avoiding. I just wish the ending had sucked me in a little more, but for whatever reason it didn't. All together though this was a great read and after finishing it I immediately picked up its sequel Purpose.

For More Reviews by Lauryn April go to http://laurynapril.blogspot.com ( )
  LaurynApril | Jan 2, 2013 |
For Shawn, Zakary, Austin and Nathan Cook
And for Chrissi Jackson
The sensation of being watched clung to me like a spider web, invisible threads bristling the back of my neck and down my spine.

Her life is full of promise…but not all promises can be kept.

When Alexis Ames is attacked by creatures that can’t be real, she decides it’s time she learns who she really is, with or without the help of her mother, who guards their family’s secrets closely. After meeting the inhumanly attractive, multi-talented Tristan Knight, however, Alexis retreats behind her façade of normalcy…until she discovers he’s not exactly normal either. Then their secrets begin to unravel.

Their union brings hope and promise to her family’s secret society, the Angels’ army, and to the future of mankind. But it also incites a dangerous pursuit by the enemy – Satan’s minions and Tristan’s creators. After all, Alexis and Tristan are a match made in Heaven and in Hell.

New Adult Paranormal Romance ** Mature Content ** Recommended for ages 16+ due to sexual situations and language

Titles in the Soul Savers series:
Power: Book 4
Wrath: Book 5

First installment of the best-selling, award-winning Soul Savers Series

****

Alexis Ames has a life full of promise...but not all promises can be kept.

****

Over 150,000 Soul Savers books sold!

****

"This is an interesting story with no happily-ever-after, at least not yet...Tristan is a great tortured hero" 4 stars - RT Book Review

"A page-turner that keeps the reader spell-bound to the end, eager to discover what comes next" - The Charlotte Sun

****

When Alexis Ames is attacked by creatures that can't be real, she decides it's time she learns who she really is, with or without the help of her mother, who guards their family's secrets closely. After meeting the inhumanly attractive, multi-talented Tristan Knight, however, Alexis retreats behind her façade of normalcy...until she discovers he's not exactly normal either. Then their secrets begin to unravel.

Their union brings hope and promise to her family's secret society, the Angels' army, and to the future of mankind. But it also incites a dangerous pursuit by the enemy - Satan's minions and Tristan's creators. After all, Alexis and Tristan are a match made in Heaven and in Hell.

****

"...completely blown away by the writing, story line, and characters..." - Jessica, Total Bookaholic

Mature Content Advisory--may not be suitable for younger readers

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:32 -0400)

Alexis Ames has a life full of promise.but not all promises can be kept. ***** 1st Place - 2010 Royal Palm Literary Award - Fantasy (Published) by Florida Writers Association "An exciting and fascinating fantasy of demons and angels, highly recommended" - Midwest Book Review "Promise is a book bursting at the seams - with an ending that'll leave you wanting more." - L. Reeves, A Life Bound by Books ".completely blown away by the writing, story line, and characters." - Jessica, Total Bookaholic ".definitely worth the time to pick up and enjoy." - BittenByBooks.com ***** When Alexis Ames is attacked by creatures that can't be real, she decides it's time she learns who she really is, with or without the help of her mother, who guards their family's secrets closely. After meeting the inhumanly attractive, multi-talented Tristan Knight, however, Alexis retreats behind her faade of normalcy.until she discovers he's not exactly normal either. Then their secrets begin to unravel. Their union brings hope and promise to her family's secret society, the Angels' army, and to the future of mankind. But it also incites a dangerous pursuit by the enemy -- Satan's minions and Tristan's creators. After all, Alexis and Tristan are a match made in Heaven and in Hell. ***** "It had me up late at night to 'just read another chapter'" - Author Jessica Bell "I would recommend this to anyone who has read Christine Feehan's Carpathian novels." - P.A. Fleming… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,012,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible