dismiss

The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht

The Tiger's Wife (2011)

by Téa Obreht

4,4363021,750 (3.53)1 / 598
Remembering childhood stories her grandfather once told her, young physician Natalia becomes convinced that he spent his last days searching for "the deathless man," a vagabond who claimed to be immortal. As Natalia struggles to understand why her grandfather, a deeply rational man would go on such a farfetched journey, she stumbles across a clue that leads her to the extraordinary story of the tiger's wife.… (more)
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books contain elements of magical realism and tigers!
    The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: The Jungle Book is the book Natalia's grandfather loves in The Tiger's Wife and features Shere Khan, the tiger.
    The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri (Anonymous user)
    Gingerbread by Robert Dinsdale (avatiakh)
    Ingrid and the Wolf by André Alexis (Anonymous user)
    The Ministry of Special Cases by Nathan Englander (Anonymous user)
    Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt (Anonymous user)

English (298)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (302)
This author is someone to keep track of. Her lyric grace in writing, her old-world style, and her descriptive passages are SO engrossing, I was losing sleep, trying to find out what happened to the tiger, and his wife. And gorgeous? Oh My GOD!! But what stuns me the most is, this is her first novel!!
Being from Yugoslavia, which is where the novel is based, this novel spans from the main character's grandfather's time, during a war, to the grand-daughter's time, during another war. While the grand-daughter tries to inoculate orphans across the border, she learns about her sick grandfather's death, while on a mysterious trip. Laced in between scenes from both of their lives, the grand-daughter tells the tale of the man who would not die. And thankfully, he was NOT a vampire!
Anyone who loves a fascinating tale, I recommend this novel to. It's just breath-taking!! ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
I loved it. This is the second time picking it up--the first time I gave up somewhere in the middle of the first/second chapter, but this time, I read it from cover to cover in a day. Fantastic read. ( )
  Sonya_W | Feb 5, 2020 |
Would be impressive coming from anyone. Astounding from someone my age. Page 301 is a nearly-perfect bit of fiction. Ignited an interest in the Balkans.

Tackling death is the great question of literature, in my opinion. A satisfying read. ( )
  charlyk | Nov 15, 2019 |
When your fight has purpose--to free you from something, to interfere on behalf of an innocent--it has a hope of finality. When the fight is about unraveling--when it is about your name, the places to which your blood is anchored, the attachment of your name to some landmark or event--there is nothing but hate, and the long, slow progression of people who feed on it and are fed it, meticulously, by the ones who come before them. Then the fight is endless, and comes in waves and waves, but always retains its capacity to surprise those who hope against it.

This is a novel about the conflicts in the Balkans, but told obliquely, both as the story of a young doctor who goes to provide medical aid to orphans in a village now located in a different country now that the war is over, and in stories about her grandfather's life, also a doctor working in a war-weary land, but also of his childhood. These stories have a fairy tale feel to them, where what is real and what is tradition or folklore is uncertain.

Obreht's writing is very, very good and she weaves the various elements of her story together beautifully. This novel was a big deal when it was first published and maybe I should have given in to the hype and read it earlier, but I am glad I finally pulled it off the shelf. ( )
  RidgewayGirl | Sep 24, 2019 |
This was a present from my mother-in-law, and therefore something I had to read. I suspect she, like many people, may view fantasy (my preferred genre) as "magic realism gone berserk", and thus thought this book - with its almost animist creature fables and analogies nested alongside the story of the "deathless man" - would be my sort of thing. Whereas I tend to view magic realism as fantasy with all the interesting bits (like actual special physics rules that impact upon the story and what it means to be human in this world) taken out. I found The Tiger's Wife well written if occasionally too facile, interesting but far too short, far too prone to glide over the details that were, I felt, where the story (that I was interested in) really lay. I wasn't really satisfied, but I don't know whether this is a fault with the novel, or the consequence of it not, actually, being my sort of thing at all. ( )
  cupiscent | Aug 3, 2019 |

Obreht, Téaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abarbanell, BettinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doeschate, Anke tenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gómez Calvo, IgnacioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kanmert Sjölander, MolleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Štefan Obreht
In my earliest memory, my grandfather is bald as a stone and he takes me to see the tigers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Téa Obreht's book The Tiger's Wife was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,656,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible