Lion Day-by-Day Bible, The by Mary Joslin

Lion Day-by-Day Bible, The

by Mary Joslin

711,138,814 (3)None

When I was a little girl our family had a picture book with the most amazing illustrations in it. They were of a very specific illustrative style that I don’t have the words to capture, but that have strongly impacted me and have proven to be incredibly memorable. If you’ve ever read the popular Gilgamesh picture books you might be able to visualize what I’m talking about.

When I came across The Lion Day-By-Day Bible I thought, “Ah hah! Here is a story Bible with similar illustrations!” This day-by-day Bible is filled with gorgeous artwork, from the borders and small images on each page to the larger pieces every 10 pages or so, the art is exquisitely rich. The pages also feature colored sidebars to group the stories into groupings, but there is no legend provided for these groupings so the help they provide for navigation is questionable.

This is a chronological story Bible that has a one page reading and prayer for each day of the year. The breadth of story selection is excellent and covers so many parts of the Bible that typical story Bibles never get to. A story-finder index is included for finding stories for specific values, occasions, and topics.

I found that as I read through my own chronological Bible my readings and those I was sharing with my children were almost in lock-step, so I think the pacing is fabulous and very true to the pacing of Bible events.

So, all of that being said, this story Bible has a lot going for it. Unfortunately the binding is its weak point. Though a hardcover our binding soon split and it has continued to split and break down further, which is really a shame. Gorgeous illustrations, detailed story, but the binding just hasn’t held up for us. I hope that this is only a problem with a few copies and not widespread throughout this printing.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book to review. All opinions are honest and my own.

Reviewed at quiverfullfamily.com ( )
  jenniferbogart | Sep 15, 2011 |

This children's Bible is for a new generation of readers and is geared especially for seven- to ten-year-olds. The artwork is truly attractive, modern in feel, warm and bright, and gives fresh perspectives on classic stories. Each story has approximately 250 words and is complemented by an accompanying prayer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:14 -0400)

Age 7-8. A children's Bible that provides young readers with a story and prayer for every day of the year. It features a glossary of Bible characters and places and Bible references on each page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,822,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible