Sabriel by Garth Nix

Sabriel (original 1995; edition 2008)

by Garth Nix

6,762206547 (4.21)361
Member:stephmo
Title:Sabriel
Authors:Garth Nix
Info:HarperTeen (2008), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:listsofbests to get
Tags:unowned, listsofbests, readingrants, teenreads.com ultimate reading list

Sabriel by Garth Nix (1995)

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (staram)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret)
    Lirael by Garth Nix (xavierroy)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (wosret, darzzled)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Both books have beautifully written prose, elegantly sketched worlds, and stories that stay with you long after you've finished. Two young protagonists must face overwhelming dark forces as they struggle with isolation from their peers and allies.… (more)
    The Naming by Alison Croggon (geophile)
    Poison by Chris Wooding (cmbohn)
    cmbohn: Features a strong female protagonist, some creepy characters, and great combat.
    Cart and Cwidder and Drowned Ammet by Diana Wynne Jones (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Both titles involve musical instruments (cwidder in one, bells in the other) which have extraordinary magical powers in the correct hands.
    The Ropemaker by Peter Dickinson (cammykitty)
    Green Rider by Kristen Britain (geophile)
    The Raven Ring by Patricia C. Wrede (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: The roles of Chrestomanci and Abhorsen are similar- magicians who police the use of magic. Both books feature their protagonists growing into these roles.
    The Sacrifice by Kristine Kathryn Rusch (wosret)
    Ghost Ocean by Shawn M. Peters (infiniteletters)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wosret)
    Geist by Philippa Ballantine (Rubbah)
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MinaKelly)

English (203)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (206)
very well done - good world building - good character development - sympathetic characters - nice dramatic build - plenty of room for further story development - around 80% of potential reached - will look forward to reading more by author ( )
  jason9292 | Jun 26, 2015 |

I went out on a limb with this one. Necromancers aren't usually my thing, so I was pretty apprehensive. But its pretty obvious right away that it isn't your average raising the dead novel. Its so much better. Everything from the coldly beautiful gates of death to the spooky reanimated villains wowed me. Sabriel is short and sweet, and definitely worth the read.

I think its neccesary to highlight how downright awesome necromancer lore is. Sabriel comes form a long line of Necromancers that have been kicking undead butt since the beginning of time. They use a number of different sized bells to keep the dead in check. Each bell has a different effect; One puts the undead listeners into a manageable trance, another banishes the reanimated back into the realm of dead. Its all so original and interesting, it honestly made the novel for me. If it had been the run of the mill type necromancer lore, I would have been terribly bored and probably wouldn't have gotten through it.

The dead realm is spectacular. Its beautifully crafted out of sinister and darkness, but also curiosity and wonder. It's so cunningly made, so kudos to you, Nix. Once again the little things blew me away.

I absolutely loved Mogget! The cat companions are always my favorites. The aloof sass that they usually supply just cracks me up. Sabriel's other companion, Touchstone, is equally adorable. There is a bit of romance between the two of them, but it isn't overpowering, so it doesn't take away from the story.

All the characters are loveable for sure, and I'm excited to see more of them in Clariel!

All in All

I loved it! Sabriel was great; the setting was vivid and lifelike. The Necromancer lore was a make or break component, and boy, did it make the novel so much better! Sabriel has everyything I look for in a high fantasy: Beautiful setting, new feeling plot, and loveable characters. Sabriel was so worth the read.

2.5 | 5

First read as a teenager; could never recall what I thought of this, other than my three-starred option hastily added when I arrived at GoodReads. The story was not developed enough, and the characters were fairly clichéd (and the terrible moment of realisation between Sabriel and Touchstone and their "love" was horrific), but otherwise, it was enjoyable and I can see why I liked it all those years ago. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |

Garth Nixprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kattelus, KaisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Villari Gerli, FabriziaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my family and friends.
It was little more than three miles from the Wall into the Old Kingdom, but that was enough.
Sabriel digested this in silence, staring at the swirls of fish and sauce on her plate, silver scales and red tomato blurring into a pattern of swords and fire. The table blurred too, and the room beyond, and she felt herself reaching for the border with Death. But try as she might, she couldn’t cross it. She sensed it, but there was no way to cross, in either direction – Abhorsen’s House was too well protected. But she did feel something at the border. Inimical things lurked there, waiting for her to cross, but there was also the faintest thread of something familiar, like the scent of a woman’s perfume after she has left the room, or the waft of a particular pipe tobacco around a corner. Sabriel focused on it and threw herself once more at the barrier that separated her from Death. -- p.73
The marks became silver blades as they left her hand, mind and voice, flashing through the air swifter than any thrown dagger. -- p. 107

Sabriel, the daughter of the Abhorsen (a 'lawfully-good' necromancer charged with putting the dead back into death) finds herself on a journey to find out what happened to her father after she is sent his necromancer's tools. At her father's house she meets a cat with strange and dangerous abilities, the sarcastic Mogget. She soon takes up her quest as an Abhorsen and finds that looking for her father is looking for trouble as she accepts her fate. But evil waits for her in Death...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064471837, Mass Market Paperback)

After receiving a cryptic message from her father, Abhorsen, a necromancer trapped in Death, 18-year-old Sabriel sets off into the Old Kingdom. Fraught with peril and deadly trickery, her journey takes her to a world filled with parasitical spirits, Mordicants, and Shadow Hands. Unlike other necromancers, who raise the dead, Abhorsen lays the disturbed dead back to rest. This obliges him--and now Sabriel, who has taken on her father's title and duties--to slip over the border into the icy river of Death, sometimes battling the evil forces that lurk there, waiting for an opportunity to escape into the realm of the living. Desperate to find her father, and grimly determined to help save the Old Kingdom from destruction by the horrible forces of the evil undead, Sabriel endures almost impossible exhaustion, violent confrontations, and terrifying challenges to her supernatural abilities--and her destiny.

Garth Nix delves deep into the mystical underworld of necromancy, magic, and the monstrous undead. This tale is not for the faint of heart; imbedded in the classic good-versus-evil story line are subplots of grisly ghouls hungry for human life to perpetuate their stay in the world of the living, and dark, devastating secrets of betrayal and loss. Just try to put this book down. For more along this line, try Nix's later novel: Shade's Children. (Ages 12 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:44 -0400)

Sabriel, daughter of the necromancer Abhorsen, must journey into the mysterious and magical Old Kingdom to rescue her father from the Land of the Dead.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,891,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible