Sabriel by Garth Nix

Sabriel (original 1995; edition 2008)

by Garth Nix

Authors:Garth Nix
Info:HarperTeen (2008), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:listsofbests to get
Tags:unowned, listsofbests, readingrants, teenreads.com ultimate reading list

Sabriel by Garth Nix (1995)

Recently added byTim-Morrison, Bokayokay, pyco18, GigisIrieReads, TeaBooksArt, private library, ReadsAny, amazedemon, shallowsea
Legacy LibrariesLeslie Scalapino
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (staram)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret)
    Lirael by Garth Nix (xavierroy)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (wosret, darzzled)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Both books have beautifully written prose, elegantly sketched worlds, and stories that stay with you long after you've finished. Two young protagonists must face overwhelming dark forces as they struggle with isolation from their peers and allies.… (more)
    The Naming by Alison Croggon (geophile)
    Cart and Cwidder and Drowned Ammet by Diana Wynne Jones (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Both titles involve musical instruments (cwidder in one, bells in the other) which have extraordinary magical powers in the correct hands.
    The Ropemaker by Peter Dickinson (cammykitty)
    Green Rider by Kristen Britain (geophile)
    Poison by Chris Wooding (cmbohn)
    cmbohn: Features a strong female protagonist, some creepy characters, and great combat.
    Tithe by Holly Black (wosret)
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: The roles of Chrestomanci and Abhorsen are similar- magicians who police the use of magic. Both books feature their protagonists growing into these roles.
    The Sacrifice by Kristine Kathryn Rusch (wosret)
    The Raven Ring by Patricia C. Wrede (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    Radiant by Karina Sumner-Smith (sandstone78)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (ajwseven)
    The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman (Morteana)
    Geist by Philippa Ballantine (Rubbah)
    Ghost Ocean by Shawn M. Peters (infiniteletters)
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MinaKelly)

English (221)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (224)
Intriguing concept, fantastic world building, amazing writing, great characters, I could go on and list more good things about this book, but I guess I should get to explaining why the low rating. Well, it's as simple as, I wasn't drawn in or very excited reading this book. Loved some of the aspects of this story so much, but it just laid flat on the pages for me. The more I learned about the world the more anxious I became for what's to come, it fell flat for me again. Sabriel seems okay, but that's just it, okay. Don't know why, but I just didn't connect with the story, it didn't excite me or kept me interested. I just couldn't wait to finish it already, which I did, which is plus for the book, I wasn't so bored that I DNF'ed it.

I know that this is one of those books loved by many, which was why I expected to love it. I kept hearing how great it was so I eventually grabbed up the Kindle book when it was on sale. So disappointed I didn't like it, no fault of anybody's, it was obviously well written, it's Garth Nix, so. It just shows how it goes sometimes I guess. Not every book always translate the same to everyone. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Oct 21, 2016 |
Sabriel moves along at a steady pace, with rarely a dull moment throughout the entire story. You reach a bit of a lull toward the middle of the book, but it's a great place to catch your breath. I found myself moved, scared, and generally entranced by Nix's world of magic and sorcery. I absolutely fell in love with the system of Charger Magic, and the mystery of the free magic of the Old Kingdom. The book plays out like a film in your mind. All the sets and characters were described so well, I find myself able to perfectly visualize each of them with little trouble. I look forward to reading more of the Old Kingdom books very soon. ( )
  sammaeb | Sep 13, 2016 |
Ok. Took me a while to "get into" the world, but this was really quite enjoyable. I really enjoyed the character building and - while I still don't really feel *part* of the Abhorsen world, I look forward to the rest of the trilogy. ( )
  benuathanasia | Aug 11, 2016 |
Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker? ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
I REALLY wanted to love this. The blurbs and summaries looked good. I love Tim Curry (he narrates the Audible version). But I just didn't care about the characters. The magic system/necromancy was just weird and not explained well.
Sadly, returning for my credit back at Audible. ( )
  KnivesBoone | Jul 29, 2016 |

Garth Nixprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kattelus, KaisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Villari Gerli, FabriziaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my family and friends.
It was little more than three miles from the Wall into the Old Kingdom, but that was enough.
Sabriel digested this in silence, staring at the swirls of fish and sauce on her plate, silver scales and red tomato blurring into a pattern of swords and fire. The table blurred too, and the room beyond, and she felt herself reaching for the border with Death. But try as she might, she couldn’t cross it. She sensed it, but there was no way to cross, in either direction – Abhorsen’s House was too well protected. But she did feel something at the border. Inimical things lurked there, waiting for her to cross, but there was also the faintest thread of something familiar, like the scent of a woman’s perfume after she has left the room, or the waft of a particular pipe tobacco around a corner. Sabriel focused on it and threw herself once more at the barrier that separated her from Death. -- p.73
The marks became silver blades as they left her hand, mind and voice, flashing through the air swifter than any thrown dagger. -- p. 107

Sabriel, the daughter of the Abhorsen (a 'lawfully-good' necromancer charged with putting the dead back into death) finds herself on a journey to find out what happened to her father after she is sent his necromancer's tools. At her father's house she meets a cat with strange and dangerous abilities, the sarcastic Mogget. She soon takes up her quest as an Abhorsen and finds that looking for her father is looking for trouble as she accepts her fate. But evil waits for her in Death...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064471837, Mass Market Paperback)

After receiving a cryptic message from her father, Abhorsen, a necromancer trapped in Death, 18-year-old Sabriel sets off into the Old Kingdom. Fraught with peril and deadly trickery, her journey takes her to a world filled with parasitical spirits, Mordicants, and Shadow Hands. Unlike other necromancers, who raise the dead, Abhorsen lays the disturbed dead back to rest. This obliges him--and now Sabriel, who has taken on her father's title and duties--to slip over the border into the icy river of Death, sometimes battling the evil forces that lurk there, waiting for an opportunity to escape into the realm of the living. Desperate to find her father, and grimly determined to help save the Old Kingdom from destruction by the horrible forces of the evil undead, Sabriel endures almost impossible exhaustion, violent confrontations, and terrifying challenges to her supernatural abilities--and her destiny.

Garth Nix delves deep into the mystical underworld of necromancy, magic, and the monstrous undead. This tale is not for the faint of heart; imbedded in the classic good-versus-evil story line are subplots of grisly ghouls hungry for human life to perpetuate their stay in the world of the living, and dark, devastating secrets of betrayal and loss. Just try to put this book down. For more along this line, try Nix's later novel: Shade's Children. (Ages 12 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:44 -0400)

Sabriel, daughter of the necromancer Abhorsen, must journey into the mysterious and magical Old Kingdom to rescue her father from the Land of the Dead.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,827,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible