Bad Taste in Boys by Carrie Harris

Bad Taste in Boys

by Carrie Harris

This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers (jqtrotter)
    jqtrotter: THIS IS NOT A TEST isn't as funny and light hearted as BAD TEST IN BOYS, but they are both fast-pace YA zombie thrillers that don't have too much zombie action.

Bad Taste in Boys by Carrie Harris is probably the most fun zombie book you'll read. Kate Grable dreams of being a doctor. One way she's working towards that is by being her high school football team's trainer. Everything's going fine until she finds out the coach is giving the team steroids.

Even worse than that? The steroids are turning the team into zombies. That's right: (even more) mindless, flesh-eating zombies. With everyone - from her brother, Jonah, her crush, Aaron, her friends, Kate, the rest of the students, everyone - in danger, Kate's going to have to find an antidote.

With time running out, Kate, Rocky (her best friend), Jonah, and Aaron will have to battle to save their town . . . or risk turning zombie.

What's great about Bad Taste in Boys is that while it is incredibly fun - and funny - it also has some serious plot points, it doesn't move entirely to satire to be funny. Funny books are great when they have enough serious to have a real story to them as well.

The relationship between Kate and her brother Jonah (not to mention Jonah's character on his own) is fantastic and a really amazing addition to the story.

Bad Taste in Boys is a short book, but the characters still feel very real. They're very well written and portrayed so that, even without pages of back story or other interaction between the characters, they all fit well together and are believable.

The only thing that did seem short or quick was how easily Kate accepted the zombies.

The humor in this story is great and the ideas are incredibly unique and also make a lot of sense - they don't just pop out of nowhere at the end.
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
Fun light high school adventure with a zombie background. This was perfect for me, because I am not usually a zombie reader. There are no guns in this book. No one gets shot. The goal is to scientifically and medically help the zombies and prevent new infections, and discover the cause.

This story is more a teen detective story, with the zombies being the case that needs to be investigated. I enjoyed the science nerd young woman hero who saves the day. She works on saving the school as she works on getting a date to the homecoming dance.

I am looking forward to the future adventures of Kate. ( )
  SAGibson | Dec 3, 2014 |
Fast and silly read. Homecoming and Zombies......enough said. ( )
  TeamDewey | Apr 29, 2014 |
More zombie chick lit! Kate is a science geek/football team medic, and so is the first to notice that the football coach is infecting the team with an unlabeled vial of...something. And when those injected players start craving human flesh, she is the first and maybe only, one who can stop it.

This is a *very* light zombie-ish story, though it is nice to see a female science geek save the day AND catch the eye of the hot guy in school! ( )
  kayceel | Mar 1, 2014 |
Well, that was just plain stupid fun. It would make a great horror-comedy of the B-movie persuasion, like a lighter, teen-ier version of Cabin Fever or Return of the Living Dead Part II, but much wittier and with better characters and a happier ending (and no nudity). Plus, you can read it in two, three hours. Yes, the entire story is ridiculous and has more holes than the movie Holes, but that's part of the fun. And Kate, the super-zombie-killing-science-nerd, is an appealing, self-depreciating narrator, confident and brave in the face of dismembered limbs and black zombie vomit and doing cell cultures to find a cure, but spazzing out every page over her crush, Aaron. My favorite Kate quotation: "I might not have been great with the romance thing, but no one was going to outscience me. Especially when there was a hot boy at stake." Kate is why this gets four stars.

I don't get the cover, though. It's undeniably eye-catching (I'm not sure I want to be seen with it in public, because close-ups of sugary-coated lips? will get weird looks from people.) but it makes the book look darker than it is. I mean, this is definitely more on the light side of black comedy; it's gory but silly and campy. This is not a book that takes itself seriously, but the cover doesn't show that. Also -- I don't see how the image relates to the plot. Then again, the title doesn't make sense either, really (Aaron is a doll, so it seems she has good taste in boys), so whatever. Now I'm just overthinking it and being too literal. I'm just saying, it doesn't scream horror-comedy. It screams gritty drug-addiction, co-dependent relationship book, to me. But perhaps that's just me.

Lovers of fast-paced, gory, minimally-plotted zombie comedies, take note! ( )
1 vote Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |

Future physician Kate Grable is horrified when her high school's football coach gives team members steroids, but the drugs turn players into zombies and Kate must find an antidote before the flesh-eating monsters get to her or her friends.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,922,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible