Mr. K: Thriller by J.A. Konrath

Mr. K: Thriller (original 2010; edition 2012)

by J.A. Konrath, Peter Zmyj (Übersetzer)

Member:anje-wendt
Title:Mr. K: Thriller
Authors:J.A. Konrath
Other authors:Peter Zmyj (Übersetzer)
Info:AmazonCrossing (2012), Taschenbuch, 302 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Kindle
Rating:*****
Tags:2013

Shaken by J. A. Konrath (2010)

Don't know how I ended up with #7 in a series of which I haven't read any of the first six, but this was a fun, quick little read. The killer's methods were some of the more grotesque I've encountered, but he was a tricky guy and I rate him reasonably highly as a bad guy. The detective (Jacqueline Daniels... yes, Jack Daniels) wasn't the most well-developed character I've come across, but I could tell I was missing out on a lot of her backstory, so it might be my fault for jumping in mid-series. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
WOW. As the seventh book in this series, I should know by now that Konrath doesn't always tie up all loose ends. And BOY, he really doesn't with this one.

Unlike the other in the Jack Daniels series, this is a non-linear story, bouncing between three periods: 25 years ago, three years ago and today. The common thread is the killer(s) and their relationship with Jack. It was also, in my opinion, a little more gruesome than the others. The killers here were a little more ... I'll say inventive ... in their torture and killing of victims. As much as I want to see how the story ends (#8 in the series is the last, according to Konrath), I think I will have to wait a little until the bile that stayed in my throat throughout reading this one settles a little.

If you've read the others in the series, you will, of course, have to read this one. Recommended beach read. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
Travelling back over a span of twenty years, detective Jacqueline “Jack” Daniels finds herself as a rookie entwined in the process of tracking a sadistic killer, code named “Mr. K”. The book twists back in time twenty tears, and then in a three-year increment to the current where Jack has not only identified the killer, but with no physical proof of his committing the crimes has now retired as a police officer. It is at this moment when she finds herself ensnared and captured by the very man she has been hunting for years.
Is he a monster, a killer-for-hire or just a little of both? His routine trademarks: putting salt in the wounds and placing a ball-gag in his victims’ mouth are ever-present. However the actual deaths have been routinely different—though a few evidently are favorites from the number of times they pop back up. After all, there are only so many ways to kill over one hundred people without repeating the method.
The details are gruesome and Konrath threads the story with sarcasm as thick and liberal as a street whore’s mascara in an attempt to slice through the horror. He expertly introduces enough humor into the storyline that stops the reader from running, screaming from the torture he laces the tale with. The dialogue is expertly woven. The scene when two detectives are sitting in the car eating dry cereal from a box will have you gagging along with them.
A no-holds-barred page-turner that will capture your rapt attention until the last page
  MarkPSadler | Jan 17, 2016 |
Lend this with Amazon Prime for free, as I needed a short break from [b:You're Next|10148340|You're Next|Gregg Hurwitz|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1393104022s/10148340.jpg|15046649]. Gripping beginning.
And it is a short read.
A few different timelines are chapter wise swapped and tangled. As it is obvious from the beginning, that Jack (not Daniels the whole time) is alive till the last timeline (2010), not all of it is very suspenseful. But great writing. Be aware, quite a lot of detailed torture.
A few different serial killers pop up in the book, some playing major parts.
As with some of the other books by Konrath I read, a few unbelievable escape scenarios.
So 4 stars might be a bit much, but I recommend it, and read it out of order, which, given the different timelines was ok, I do not think it would have helped a lot read all Jack Daniels books in order to understand this one. ( )
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
As usual Joe never disappoints! A page-turner from beginning to end. I will be sad to see the Jack Daniels series come to an end. On to the final book-Stirred! ( )
  BookaholicBanter | Nov 6, 2014 |
This guy isn't a killer, Dalton thinks.

Chicago cop Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels has chased and caught dozens of dangerous criminals over the course of her career, but she's about to meet her match.

34 wanted2 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,856,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible