Superman: Earth One (Superman (Graphic…

Superman: Earth One (Superman (Graphic Novels)) (edition 2013)

by J. Michael Straczynski, Shane Davis (Illustrator)

3182049,897 (3.59)9
Member:OgdensburgPL
Title:Superman: Earth One (Superman (Graphic Novels))
Authors:J. Michael Straczynski
Other authors:Shane Davis (Illustrator)
Info:DC Comics (2013), Paperback, 136 pages
Collections:Your library, Young Adult
Tags:1502

Superman: Earth One by J. Michael Straczynski

Really fun story with a cool villain. Not a big Superman guy but really liked this. ( )
  Fearshop | Mar 31, 2018 |
This is a new origin story for Superman. It stays pretty close to the one we're all familiar with, not much has changed. It starts with Clark leaving the farm and going off to the city to start his life; he's decided not to be Superman but just be a regular person getting a regular job. Unfortunately, a villain comes to Earth, specifically looking for the last remaining Kryptonian to destroy him and Clark comes out as Superman to save the earth. The best thing about this book is the art; it's great. The story is good and readable; I like the angle we are seeing Superman from but the plot isn't very exciting and the villain (made up for this volume) was lame: just some guy from another planet in a ship. I've read all the other books in the Earth One series so I'll go on and read the next which I hope picks up with a better villain, perhaps someone we already know. ( )
  ElizaJane | May 14, 2016 |
Pros:
-art is nice
-beginning was good (we got a mopey and unsure superman)

Cons:
-villain was uninspired
-no build up
-things developed to quickly
-overly written in some areas ( )
  Emman_89 | Apr 21, 2016 |
A well considered retelling of the superman story set in a modern frame of reference. It uses a rather confusing method of sequencing the story (which seems to be a rather common technique in comics) but despite that it was highly enjoyable. The writing is on a bit higher of a level than is often seen in comics. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
This was a very unconventional "Superman" book and I enjoyed it as a result. It was interesting to see them go from this "cool guy" motif to this "geek boy" status by the end of the book. It was also interesting that the story was set in a more modern day era where there were characters that referenced issues of the current world, like issues in newspaper printing.

The entire book took a new spin on Superman and what happened on Krypton. We discover that an alien race that despised to the Krypton people was behind the earthquake that blew up the planet. All of these components made for an excellent read that I enjoyed. ( )
  SoulFlower1981 | Jan 20, 2016 |

J. Michael Straczynskiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davis, ShaneIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hope, SandraIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Gives new insight into Clark Kent's transformation into Superman and his first year as the Man of Steel.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,809,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible