Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich

Wicked Appetite

by Janet Evanovich

Casting Spells by Barbara Bretton (TheLibraryhag)
    TheLibraryhag: Same sort of magical craziness. Casting Spells is very out there but they remind me of each other.
    Demon Hunting in Dixie by Lexi George (TheLibraryhag)
    TheLibraryhag: Both funny and quirky paranormal.
    A Veiled Deception by Annette Blair (TheLibraryhag)
    TheLibraryhag: Both books have sexy guys and are very funny. Both are magically delicious.

English (128)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  All (130)
I'm always amused by some of the fans of Janet Evanovich -- on one hand they complain that her Stephanie Plum series is getting stale. On the other, if she tries something different they complain because "it's just not the same". As much as I love her Plum series, I've also enjoyed her "between the numbers" books featuring Diesel, a semi-supernatural figure who has strange powers. So Evanovich has spun Diesel into his own series, and happily it works very well (at least it did for me). Let's admit it though, Evanovich writes a certain style of book -- light, funny, pure fluff. If you like it, fine. If not, or you get tired of it after a while, STOP READING HER BOOKS. Don't keep reading and post bad reviews over and over because she's not changing to suit you. Oddly enough, these same people seem to be the first to post terrible reviews of the NEXT in the series.(There, I feel better I got that off my chest!)

The female lead in this new series is Lizzie Tucker, who left New York when she inherited a house in Marblehead from her Great Aunt Ophelia. Lizzie is a pastry chef for Dazzles bakery in Salem. Diesel arrives in town and informs Lizzie that she is an 'Unmentionable' who can sense the presence of objects with magical power. Diesel needs Lizzie's help to locate Stones that represent the Seven Deadly Sins. In 'Wicked Appetite' they are trying to locate the Stone representing Gluttony, which makes for some amusing moments in itself. Diesel has an evil cousin named Wulf who is also after the Stones, and he doesn't seem to mind hurting people who are in his way.

I have to say that Lizzie read an awful lot like Stephanie Plum, which is a little disappointing and shows a lack of creativity on Evanovich's part. But she makes up for it to an extent with some amusing secondary characters, including Glo the aspiring witch, the pure evil but sexy Wulf, his minion Hatchet (a medieval enthusiast), and my favorite, Carl the flinger-flipping monkey.

To sum up, if you've enjoyed Evanovich's style of writing and brand of humor and you're ready for something a little different, you will probably enjoy this book as much as I did. It has all the things you like about the Plum books, with new characters and a supernatural twist. I'm looking forward to the next book in this series. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
I’ve put off reading this series despite my love for Janet Evanovich mostly because of the supernatural twist. Sometimes I’m just not in the mood for a combo of supernatural and absurd. I already knew it was a spinoff of the Stephanie Plum series, so the writing style and tone were not a surprise. Plus, Janet Evanovich’s books all kinda read the same.

To my surprise, I enjoyed this! Basically, there are 3 types of people — Normal, Unmentionable, and Questionable. Normal people are, well, normal. Unmentionable people have some sort of magical power, though they may not realize it themselves. And Questionable people seem to have some sort of power, but it’s not defined. And what are these powers used for? To find and control/take care of some magic stones. Each of the 7 stones induces the characteristics of one of the deadly sins in whomever has it. The more stones a person has, the more powerful they are.

Diesel, who is introduced in the Stephanie Plum books, is an Unmentionable. Turns out, cupcake baker Lizzy is too, and he enlists her help in tracking down the stones, in particular the stone representing gluttony. True to Evanovich/Plum form, there are a host of zany characters they encounter along the way. And a monkey.

As I said, I enjoyed it, but it’s not her strongest work. On the good side you find the slow-burning relationship between Lizzy and Diesel, Lizzy’s supporting cast, and Lizzy’s cat. On the bad side, you find the monkey. I really, really, really, could do without the monkey. He’s just straight-up absurdity. He serves no purpose. There’s plenty of funny in this book without the damned monkey. ( )
  miyurose | Mar 31, 2017 |
Nice Cozy mystery change from Plumb ( )
  GailL | Mar 8, 2017 |
I love Janet Evanovich! She's witty - makes me smile and laugh out loud quite often! If you're a fan of the awesome Stephanie Plum, you'll love Lizzie and Diesel. ( )
  candace.neal | Mar 3, 2017 |
I liked it
  lcsmith1 | Nov 12, 2016 |
My name is Elizabeth Tucker.

Life in Marblehead has had a pleasant predictability, until Diesel arrives. Rumor has it that a collection of priceless ancient relics representing the Seven Deadly Sins have made their way to Boston’s North Shore. Partnered with pastry chef Lizzie Tucker, Diesel bullies and charms his way through historic Salem to track them down—and his criminal mastermind cousin Gerewulf Grimorie. The black-haired, black-hearted Wulf is on the hunt for the relic representing gluttony. Caught in a race against time, Diesel and Lizzie soon find out that more isn’t always better, as they battle Wulf and the first of the deadly sins.

With delectable characters and non-stop thrills that have made Janet Evanovich a household name, Wicked Appetite will leave you hungry for more.

Life in Marblehead has had a pleasant predictability, until Diesel arrives. Rumor has it that a collection of priceless ancient relics representing the Seven Deadly Sins have made their way to Boston's North Shore. Partnered with pastry chef Lizzie Tucker, Diesel bullies and charms his way through historic Salem to track them down, and his criminal mastermind cousin Gerewulf Grimorie. The black-haired, black-hearted Wulf is on the hunt for the relic representing gluttony. Caught in a race against time, Diesel and Lizzie soon find out that more isn't always better, as they battle Wulf and the first of the deadly sins.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,157,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible