Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich

Wicked Appetite

by Janet Evanovich

Casting Spells by Barbara Bretton (TheLibraryhag)
    TheLibraryhag: Same sort of magical craziness. Casting Spells is very out there but they remind me of each other.
    Demon Hunting in Dixie by Lexi George (TheLibraryhag)
    TheLibraryhag: Both funny and quirky paranormal.
    A Veiled Deception by Annette Blair (TheLibraryhag)
    TheLibraryhag: Both books have sexy guys and are very funny. Both are magically delicious.

English (128)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  All (130)
I’ve put off reading this series despite my love for Janet Evanovich mostly because of the supernatural twist. Sometimes I’m just not in the mood for a combo of supernatural and absurd. I already knew it was a spinoff of the Stephanie Plum series, so the writing style and tone were not a surprise. Plus, Janet Evanovich’s books all kinda read the same.

To my surprise, I enjoyed this! Basically, there are 3 types of people — Normal, Unmentionable, and Questionable. Normal people are, well, normal. Unmentionable people have some sort of magical power, though they may not realize it themselves. And Questionable people seem to have some sort of power, but it’s not defined. And what are these powers used for? To find and control/take care of some magic stones. Each of the 7 stones induces the characteristics of one of the deadly sins in whomever has it. The more stones a person has, the more powerful they are.

Diesel, who is introduced in the Stephanie Plum books, is an Unmentionable. Turns out, cupcake baker Lizzy is too, and he enlists her help in tracking down the stones, in particular the stone representing gluttony. True to Evanovich/Plum form, there are a host of zany characters they encounter along the way. And a monkey.

As I said, I enjoyed it, but it’s not her strongest work. On the good side you find the slow-burning relationship between Lizzy and Diesel, Lizzy’s supporting cast, and Lizzy’s cat. On the bad side, you find the monkey. I really, really, really, could do without the monkey. He’s just straight-up absurdity. He serves no purpose. There’s plenty of funny in this book without the damned monkey. ( )
  miyurose | Mar 31, 2017 |
Nice Cozy mystery change from Plumb ( )
  GailL | Mar 8, 2017 |
I love Janet Evanovich! She's witty - makes me smile and laugh out loud quite often! If you're a fan of the awesome Stephanie Plum, you'll love Lizzie and Diesel. ( )
  candace.neal | Mar 3, 2017 |
I liked it
  lcsmith1 | Nov 12, 2016 |
I am a big fan of Janet Evanovich but I am not a fan of this book. I liked the main female character but she is quite the scardy cat and quite guliable which is a turn off for me if they don't improve over the length of the book. The side story with Glo and her desire to perform spells is also a turn-off but occasionally comical. The book lacked the typical Evanovich humor that I have grown to love. I hope the next book is better. The book had a decent storyline and plot. ( )
  SBShepherd | Oct 16, 2016 |
My name is Elizabeth Tucker.

Life in Marblehead has had a pleasant predictability, until Diesel arrives. Rumor has it that a collection of priceless ancient relics representing the Seven Deadly Sins have made their way to Boston’s North Shore. Partnered with pastry chef Lizzie Tucker, Diesel bullies and charms his way through historic Salem to track them down—and his criminal mastermind cousin Gerewulf Grimorie. The black-haired, black-hearted Wulf is on the hunt for the relic representing gluttony. Caught in a race against time, Diesel and Lizzie soon find out that more isn’t always better, as they battle Wulf and the first of the deadly sins.

With delectable characters and non-stop thrills that have made Janet Evanovich a household name, Wicked Appetite will leave you hungry for more.

Life in Marblehead has had a pleasant predictability, until Diesel arrives. Rumor has it that a collection of priceless ancient relics representing the Seven Deadly Sins have made their way to Boston's North Shore. Partnered with pastry chef Lizzie Tucker, Diesel bullies and charms his way through historic Salem to track them down, and his criminal mastermind cousin Gerewulf Grimorie. The black-haired, black-hearted Wulf is on the hunt for the relic representing gluttony. Caught in a race against time, Diesel and Lizzie soon find out that more isn't always better, as they battle Wulf and the first of the deadly sins.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,887,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible