Convergence Culture: Where Old and New Media…

Convergence Culture: Where Old and New Media Collide (Revised with a New…

by Henry Jenkins

Recently added byjoshua.moore, private library, Claudia_Colin, Katharine1999, itas, O_Hozomeen, ramonsolis

Jenkins addresses the convergence of mass media and interactive media from a solid background in studies of fan cultures. He builds his arguments around three core concepts -- media convergence, participatory culture, and collective intelligence -- which he develops in a series of well-written and engaging case studies, ranging from online communities of Survivor spoilers to Harry Potter fan-fiction IPR controversies and the US elections. The focus is largely on how the established mass media "collide" with new media cultures and practices, and the new media forms originating in the digital realm are generally less well covered. Nevertheless, I consider the insights offered in the book to be required reading for any interaction designer involved in transmedia/crossmedia projects.
  jonas.lowgren | Mar 28, 2011 |
Dharmishta Referred me to it :)
  sethwoodworth | Oct 5, 2009 |
Very interesting. I like the logic that starts from what the audience is actually doing to understand what the media might/should do.
A very good example of this fascinating space where technology intersects with society. ( )
  francispisani | Feb 28, 2009 |
I always like Henry Jenkins and this book is no exception. He does a good job of exploding the one-device idea of convergence and paying attention to the social and cultural processes around convergence and participatory culture without getting too frothy. The first few chapters which examine the role of fan communities and corporations' alternate stances on them were pretty good in outlining the punitive/"collaborative" stances that companies (and different entities within one conglomerate) have taken toward fans and fans' responses to and awareness of theses strategies. However, typically, I liked best the last three chapters that talked about fannish practices of remix, appropriation, community-building and participation that pave the way we deal with cultural and moral questions, literacy and education, political participation and how we can apply these skills to an increasingly transmedia world. Of course I like the call not to get wrapped up in the technology, the brand, or the inevitability of convergence and miss out on this "critical utopian" moment. ( )
  chameleon2 | Nov 3, 2008 |
"In the end, Convergence Culture is a good overview for readers interested in popular culture and an excellent introduction for the general public. Jenkins' combination of readable, entertaining, lucid prose, practical application, and scholarly foundations helps to establish this book as a popular analysis of contemporary cultural life. Scholars of new media studies, however, may find that this book offers only a cursory examination of the topics they study."

Cultura da Convergência fala sobre como diferentes mídias estão sendo utilizadas para desenvolver conteúdos de maneira a cercar a audiência para uma experiência mais profunda em obras audiovisuais.

Henry Jenkins at Authors@Google (video)

Winner of the 2007 Society for Cinema and Media Studies Katherine Singer Kovacs Book Award

2007 Choice Outstanding Academic Title

Convergence Culture maps a new territory: where old and new media intersect, where grassroots and corporate media collide, where the power of the media producer and the power of the consumer interact in unpredictable ways.

Henry Jenkins, one of America’s most respected media analysts, delves beneath the new media hype to uncover the important cultural transformations that are taking place as media converge. He takes us into the secret world of Survivor Spoilers, where avid internet users pool their knowledge to unearth the show’s secrets before they are revealed on the air. He introduces us to young Harry Potter fans who are writing their own Hogwarts tales while executives at Warner Brothers struggle for control of their franchise. He shows us how The Matrix has pushed transmedia storytelling to new levels, creating a fictional world where consumers track down bits of the story across multiple media channels.Jenkins argues that struggles over convergence will redefine the face of American popular culture. Industry leaders see opportunities to direct content across many channels to increase revenue and broaden markets. At the same time, consumers envision a liberated public sphere, free of network controls, in a decentralized media environment. Sometimes corporate and grassroots efforts reinforce each other, creating closer, more rewarding relations between media producers and consumers. Sometimes these two forces are at war.

Jenkins provides a riveting introduction to the world where every story gets told and every brand gets sold across multiple media platforms. He explains the cultural shift that is occurring as consumers fight for control across disparate channels, changing the way we do business, elect our leaders, and educate our children.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:55 -0400)

Media analyst Jenkins delves beneath the new media hype to uncover the important cultural transformations that are taking place as media converge. He takes us into the secret world of Survivor Spoilers, where avid internet users pool their knowledge to unearth the show's secrets before they are revealed on the air. He shows us how The Matrix has pushed transmedia storytelling to new levels, creating a fictional world where consumers track down bits of the story across multiple media channels. Jenkins argues that struggles over convergence will redefine the face of American popular culture: industry leaders see opportunities to direct content across many channels to increase revenue and broaden markets; at the same time, consumers envision a liberated public sphere, free of network controls. Jenkins explains the cultural shift as consumers fight for control across disparate channels, changing the way we do business, elect our leaders, and educate our children.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,091,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible