The Named (The Guardians of Time) by…

The Named (The Guardians of Time) (edition 2010)

by Marianne Curley

Member:qgdbsmom
Title:The Named (The Guardians of Time)
Authors:Marianne Curley
Info:Bloomsbury USA Children's Books (2010), Paperback, 352 pages

The Named by Marianne Curley

English (13)  Finnish (1)  All languages (14)
An interesting world with PoV switches that didn't work well for me. ( )
  LaPhenix | Mar 8, 2016 |
I got this from the library when I was about 11 or 12, and took it on holiday with me. I remember devouring it and wanting to go home from my holiday, purely so I could read the next one. I still love the series now, and re-read them every so often. They're a quick and easy read, and the story is gripping. If you're a fan of history, the books are especially appealing. I also liked that one of the main characters shared my name ;) ( )
  Rinnreads | Sep 24, 2013 |
A great first book in a fun trilogy. The characters are deep and fun and I enjoyed reading this book, starting the series. I recommended this book to others and they started to read the series as well. ( )
  joyfiction | Feb 8, 2011 |
Very enjoyable - reminded me a bit of A Wrinkle in Time. Nice balance of action and development of interesting characters. ( )
  hoganedix | Aug 13, 2010 |
I tried to get into this story about two youths who are time-travelers who 'help' history stay on course but it just seemed juvenile and overly simplistic. I couldn't finish it but I know people like it so maybe I'll come back to it some other time. ( )
  mmillet | Dec 14, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0747575398, Paperback)

Sixteen-year-old Ethan Roberts has more to worry about than his lackluster grades. As one of the Named, he is charged with secretly protecting history from the Order of Chaos--an evil group that seeks to alter the past to achieve ultimate power in the present. Ethan is given orders to train his first apprentice, 15-year-old Isabel Becket, in a few short weeks as his growing nightmares soon make it apparent that trouble is brewing on a cosmic scale. The two are helped by Arkarain--Ethan's violet-eyed, blue-haired, 600-year-old mentor--and their secret powers. Isabel is a healer. Ethan is a master of illusion. Their stories evolve in rotating chapters, each told in a similar first-person point of view that makes chapter transitions disorienting at times. But The Named is at its strongest when school and parents fade. Its imagined settings are a pleasure, from the booby-trapped catacombs that house the Prophecy that was written before time to the Citadel--a way-station to the past--with its wildly decorated rooms. Ethan and Isabel's missions to Medieval England and colonial America are also a thrill, indicating that the adventures detailed in this book are just the beginning for this duo. (Ages 10 and older) --D.J. Morel

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:23 -0400)

Ethan, one of the Named, fights the Order of Chaos and its destruction in the present by traveling through time.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,549,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible