Through the Language Glass: Why the World…

Through the Language Glass: Why the World Looks Different in Other… (2010)

by Guy Deutscher

568None17,413 (3.87)20
Recently added bycenkgokce, Merryann, spaetij, fancett, private library, wmsflrc, aremkay, carlos_v_jugo
    The Stuff of Thought by Steven Pinker (petterw)
    What Language Is: And What It Isn't and What It Could Be! by John McWhorter (amyblue)
    The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind by Julian Jaynes (chmod007)
    chmod007: The first few chapters of Through The Language Glass talk about color as a cultural construct, drawing upon 19th century inquiries into the works of Homer and his seeming indifference to the finer hues of the spectrum. The beginning of TOOCITBOTBM starts with a similar exploration of ancient conceptions (or lack thereof) of consciousness, supported by linguistic evidence.… (more)

English (21)  Spanish (1)  All languages (22)
The debate is ages old: Where does language come from? Is it an artifact of our culture or written in our very DNA? In recent years, the leading linguists have seemingly settled the issue: all languages are fundamentally the same and the particular language we speak does not shape our thinking in any significant way. Guy Deutscher says they’re wrong. From Homer to Darwin, from Yale to the Amazon, and through a strange and dazzling history of the color blue, Deutscher argues that our mother tongues do indeed shape our experiences of the world. Audacious, delightful, and provocative, Through the Language Glass is destined to become a classic of intellectual discovery. ( )
  MarkBeronte | Mar 4, 2014 |
I can understand people who feel that Through the Language Glass didn't quite fulfill its promise. The subtitle might be more accurately, "does the world look different in other languages?" And the answer is yes, but in a limited way that won't be satisfying to those who want the answer to be an unequivocal yes. People feel that the world is different (for them) in different languages, and even that they are different in other languages, but there just isn't the scientific data to back those feelings up.

(For me, and this is a brief digression, I do suspect that those who "feel different" when they speak other languages aren't taking into account context. For example, say you speak Hebrew with your family and English in school. You are a different person in those two contexts, but not because of the language you speak. You're adapting yourself to the situation, including the language. I suspect that even years after that division is so clear, where you might speak Hebrew to someone in the workplace, the associations remain.)

Anyway, I found the book itself a bit dense and prone to repetition, but overall, very interesting. I loved the discussion of the issue of colour in Homer's work, as it's something that inevitably came up when discussing his epithets in class. Why "wine-dark sea"? How could the sea look like wine? And this book has the answer.

It's fairly conservative in its conclusions, not going beyond the available data -- and mocking rather people who did go beyond their data -- and explaining everything at some length rather than packing in various new ideas. It does include a lot of examples and interesting facts about various languages, like languages which don't use egocentric directions but always geographical ones. I would've been interested in a bit more on gendered language, but it doesn't seem as if the work has been done there, yet. It also gives some credit for ideas that were ahead of their time, even if they were founded on shaky principles, which was interesting.

Ultimately, Deutscher explains why early assumptions that language affects the way we perceive the world were wrong -- but then goes on to explain that that instinctive feeling isn't wrong in itself. ( )
4 vote shanaqui | Jan 25, 2014 |
Fabulous. Captivating. Everyone should read this book. Can I say anything more superlative?

From thinking about color to grammatical gender to spatial coordinates, this book challenges so much that I have taken for granted. When I tell a story I don't have a need to tell you how I know every detail that is in the story; I just tell it and that is just fine for my American friends. That won't fly in all cultures, however. It turns out there are no syntactic universals.

Those of us from "Western" nations "naturally" think with an east-west, north-south orientation. But those from (bad pun alert) an Oriental perspective don't and I find it mind-boggling. They think south-north and west-east. I can't wrap my head around it. I asked a Chinese-American friend how he did it. He said it was simple, when he thought in Chinese he used a south-north outlook and when he thought in English, a north-south.

That conversation helped me in reading this book. When Deutscher discussed anthropological studies that showed cultures who always related where they were in the world spatially (rather than our prevalent mode, which is to the left, to the right, above and below), although I still do not think I could do it, I understand that it can be done and without a second thought.

Being familiar with other Romance Languages such as Spanish and French, I understand the role that grammatical gender plays on thinking. It is never (well, rarely?) logical. But the studies done in this field, too, are fascinating.

The book begins (and ends) with what I found most fascinating. Color. It turns out blue isn't necessarily blue to everyone. Well, of course, it is, but it is not spoken of in the same way in all languages.

Just when we (as a species) think we know it all, along comes some young whipper-snapper to tell us we haven't looked at everything yet. Life. Ya gotta love it! ( )
  kaulsu | Nov 9, 2013 |
Bisschen dünn, was da rumkommt. ( )
  Wolfseule | Oct 15, 2013 |
Bisschen dünn, was da rumkommt. ( )
  Wolfseule | Oct 15, 2013 |
Deutscher starts with the puzzling fact that many languages lack words for what (to English speakers) seem to be basic colors. For anyone interested in the development of ideas, Deutscher’s first four chapters make fascinating reading. Did you know that the British statesman William Gladstone was also an accomplished Greek scholar who, noting among other things the surprising absence of any term for “blue” in classical Greek texts, theorized that full-color vision had not yet developed in humans when those texts were composed? Or that a little-known 19th-century philologist named Lazarus Geiger made profound and surprising discoveries about how languages in general divide up the color spectrum, only to have his discoveries ignored and forgotten and then rediscovered a century later?

Deutscher argues that the key to differences between languages is a contained in a maxim of the linguist Roman Jakobson: “Languages differ essentially in what they must convey and not in what they may convey.” As an example, he quotes the English statement, “I spent last night with a neighbour”, in which we may keep private whether the person was male or female.

"There are four tongues worthy of the world's use," says the Talmud:  "Greek for song, Latin for war, Syriac for lamentation, and Hebrew for ordinary speech."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080508195X, Hardcover)

A masterpiece of linguistics scholarship, at once erudite and entertaining, confronts the thorny question of how—and whether—culture shapes language and language, culture

Linguistics has long shied away from claiming any link between a language and the culture of its speakers: too much simplistic (even bigoted) chatter about the romance of Italian and the goose-stepping orderliness of German has made serious thinkers wary of the entire subject. But now, acclaimed linguist Guy Deutscher has dared to reopen the issue. Can culture influence language—and vice versa? Can different languages lead their speakers to different thoughts? Could our experience of the world depend on whether our language has a word for "blue"?

Challenging the consensus that the fundaments of language are hard-wired in our genes and thus universal, Deutscher argues that the answer to all these questions is—yes. In thrilling fashion, he takes us from Homer to Darwin, from Yale to the Amazon, from how to name the rainbow to why Russian water—a "she"—becomes a "he" once you dip a tea bag into her, demonstrating that language does in fact reflect culture in ways that are anything but trivial. Audacious, delightful, and field-changing, Through the Language Glass is a classic of intellectual discovery.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:21 -0400)

A masterpiece of linguistics scholarship, at once erudite and entertaining, confronts the thorny question of how--and whether--culture shapes language and language, culture.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,500,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible