The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking

The Grand Design (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Stephen Hawking, Leonard Mlodinow

Member:Blue_Astral
Title:The Grand Design
Authors:Stephen Hawking
Other authors:Leonard Mlodinow
Info:Bantam (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 208 pages
Rating:***
Tags:non-fiction, universe, physics, astronomy, philosophy

The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking (2010)

Aristotle Leads the Way by Joy Hakim (themulhern)
    themulhern: "Aristotle Leads the Way" has a more objective discussion of Greek scientific thought along with lots of great pictures.
    The Inflationary Universe by Alan Guth (Limelite)
    Limelite: A lot more of the physics, but also exceptionally clear and graspable.
    The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory by Brian Greene (j_aroche)
    The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality by Brian Greene (XOX)
    How Real Is Real? by Paul Watzlawick (paradoxosalpha)

English (79)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (82)
This books goes to my virtual list: "Books I wish I had read before I started studying my Physics Degree", so far only some books from MIR Publisher had done it to this list. It is simply superb, they way Hawking introduces some of the most complex concepts of Physics is amazing. Anyway this book is definitely NOT for the intermediate science lover, you will need some background or lots of patience, but still in hardly 200 pages Hawking and Mlodinow present very clearly the sate of the art of Physics and Science in one of its last frontiers. Great great book. ( )
  yakov.perelman | Jun 13, 2016 |
CC and several ILL
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
best explanation changing philosophy perspective ( )
  dendisuhubdy | Mar 22, 2016 |
Good in depth stuff about life and everything. Goes into more detail than a lot of popular physics books. I'm convinced there is no grand design. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
The best thing about reading Hawking is that he really knows how to draw in the lay reader. He starts off in such a broad welcoming style that I always think "Hey! I'm GETTING this!" Then the science begins in earnest. I give this five because I love Hawking's writing and his broad themes/concepts/ideas, which I believe I can grasp - I just can't help you with the nitty gritty, but that's ok; this is entertaining and inspiring stuff anyway. ( )
1 vote MartynChuzz | Feb 22, 2016 |
It is all entertaining stuff, skilfully assembled and described in a fairly droll manner. The wave-particle duality of particles is described as being as foreign as drinking a chunk of sandstone, for example. The book is also commendably brief and by and large illuminating about the complexities of modern cosmology.

So read it to understand the universe. But if it is God you are after, my advice is to steer clear.

The real news about “The Grand Design,” however, isn’t Mr. Hawking’s supposed jettisoning of God, information that will surprise no one who has followed his work closely. The real news about “The Grand Design” is how disappointingly tinny and inelegant it is. The spare and earnest voice that Mr. Hawking employed with such appeal in “A Brief History of Time” has been replaced here by one that is alternately condescending, as if he were Mr. Rogers explaining rain clouds to toddlers, and impenetrable.

Stephen Hawkingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mlodinow, Leonardmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bollinger, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, SidneyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We each exist for but a short time, and in that time explore but a small part of the whole universe.

In the last thirty years of his life Albert Einstein searched for a unified theory - a theory which could describe all the forces of nature in a single framework. But the time was not right for such a discovery in Einstein's day. Neither was the time right when, in 1988, Professor Stephen Hawking wrote A Brief History of Time in which he took us on a journey through classical physics, Einstein's theory of relativity, quantum physics and string theory in order to explain the universe that we live in. He concluded, like Einstein, that science may soon arrive at the long sought after 'Theory of Everything'. In this ground-breaking new work, Professor Hawking and renowned science writer Leonard Mlodinow have drawn on forty years of Hawking's own research and a recent series of extraordinary astronomical observations and theoretical breakthroughs to reveal an original and controversial theory. They convincingly argue that scientific obsession with formulating a single new model may be misplaced, and that, instead, by synthesising existing theories we may discover the key to finally understanding the universe's deepest mysteries. Written with the clarity and lively style for which Hawking is famous, The Grand Design is an account of Hawking's quest to fuse these different strands of scientific theory. It examines the differences between past and future, explains the nature of reality and asks an all-important question: How far can we go in our search for understanding and knowledge?

Along with Caltech physicist Mlodinow (The Drunkard's Walk), University of Cambridge cosmologist Hawking (A Brief History of Time)deftly mixes cutting-edge physics to answer three key questions--Why is there something rather than nothing? Why do we exist? Why this particular set of laws and not some other?--and explains that scientists are approaching what is called "M-theory," a collection of overlapping theories (including string theory) that fill in many (but not all) the blank spots in quantum physics; this collection is known as the "Grand Unified Field Theories."… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,922,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible