The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking

The Grand Design (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Stephen Hawking, Leonard Mlodinow

Member:Blue_Astral
Title:The Grand Design
Authors:Stephen Hawking
Other authors:Leonard Mlodinow
Info:Bantam (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 208 pages
Rating:***
Tags:non-fiction, universe, physics, astronomy, philosophy

The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking (2010)

Aristotle Leads the Way by Joy Hakim (themulhern)
    themulhern: "Aristotle Leads the Way" has a more objective discussion of Greek scientific thought along with lots of great pictures.
    The Inflationary Universe by Alan Guth (Limelite)
    Limelite: A lot more of the physics, but also exceptionally clear and graspable.
    The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory by Brian Greene (j_aroche)
    The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality by Brian Greene (XOX)
    How Real Is Real? by Paul Watzlawick (paradoxosalpha)

English (84)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All (87)
Nice, easy read...certainly not nearly as controversial as the press made it out to be when it was published. Hawking and Mlodinow get bashed for oversimplifying, but I think that translating cosmology to be accessible to the masses is admirable. If you want more math or science, those books are out there. If you want a general overview that you can lend your friends, this serves well.

I like their reference to David Hume, silencing the "but how do we know what is real?" waste of time crowd: although we have no rational grounds for believing in an objective reality, we also have no choice but to act as if it is true.

We really don't have much choice but to act as if what we perceive is real...we are macroscopic beings and travel at far less than relativistic speeds, so the classic equations govern.

Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Good book. Implies there might kinda be a grand design even without a god... somehow. ( )
  jvgravy | May 13, 2017 |
Not good at all really ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
Too light-weight; I was able to read this in a few hours total. I was hoping for something more... detailed, I guess. I realize the math is beyond any mere dilettante, but this book was *very* high level. ( )
  dcunning11235 | Oct 17, 2016 |
Forgettable to the point that if I hadn't written it down in my book ledger I wouldn't even know I read it. I had to look at the book description to spark my memories.

Essentially, this is about the forces that rule the universe and the quests to create a grand unifying theory of everything.

It only gave the slightest depth to each concept and really wasn't half as good as the Brief History of the Universe books. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 10, 2016 |
It is all entertaining stuff, skilfully assembled and described in a fairly droll manner. The wave-particle duality of particles is described as being as foreign as drinking a chunk of sandstone, for example. The book is also commendably brief and by and large illuminating about the complexities of modern cosmology.

So read it to understand the universe. But if it is God you are after, my advice is to steer clear.

The real news about “The Grand Design,” however, isn’t Mr. Hawking’s supposed jettisoning of God, information that will surprise no one who has followed his work closely. The real news about “The Grand Design” is how disappointingly tinny and inelegant it is. The spare and earnest voice that Mr. Hawking employed with such appeal in “A Brief History of Time” has been replaced here by one that is alternately condescending, as if he were Mr. Rogers explaining rain clouds to toddlers, and impenetrable.

Stephen Hawkingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mlodinow, Leonardsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bollinger, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, SidneyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We each exist for but a short time, and in that time explore but a small part of the whole universe.
In the last thirty years of his life Albert Einstein searched for a unified theory - a theory which could describe all the forces of nature in a single framework. But the time was not right for such a discovery in Einstein's day. Neither was the time right when, in 1988, Professor Stephen Hawking wrote A Brief History of Time in which he took us on a journey through classical physics, Einstein's theory of relativity, quantum physics and string theory in order to explain the universe that we live in. He concluded, like Einstein, that science may soon arrive at the long sought after 'Theory of Everything'. In this ground-breaking new work, Professor Hawking and renowned science writer Leonard Mlodinow have drawn on forty years of Hawking's own research and a recent series of extraordinary astronomical observations and theoretical breakthroughs to reveal an original and controversial theory. They convincingly argue that scientific obsession with formulating a single new model may be misplaced, and that, instead, by synthesising existing theories we may discover the key to finally understanding the universe's deepest mysteries. Written with the clarity and lively style for which Hawking is famous, The Grand Design is an account of Hawking's quest to fuse these different strands of scientific theory. It examines the differences between past and future, explains the nature of reality and asks an all-important question: How far can we go in our search for understanding and knowledge?

Along with Caltech physicist Mlodinow (The Drunkard's Walk), University of Cambridge cosmologist Hawking (A Brief History of Time)deftly mixes cutting-edge physics to answer three key questions--Why is there something rather than nothing? Why do we exist? Why this particular set of laws and not some other?--and explains that scientists are approaching what is called "M-theory," a collection of overlapping theories (including string theory) that fill in many (but not all) the blank spots in quantum physics; this collection is known as the "Grand Unified Field Theories."… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Stephen Hawking's book The Grand Design was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,459,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible