The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff
Authors:Rosemary Sutcliff
Info:Puffin Books (2011), Paperback
Rating:***1/2
Tags:read2012, military-history-fiction

The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff (1954)

English (33)  Dutch (1)  All languages (34)
I first read The Eagle of the Ninth when I was about 10, and it still gripped when I re-read it around 30 years later! Former centurion Marcus' journey into the wild country beyond Hadrian's Wall, accompanied by his British slave, Ecsa, in order to redeem the honour of his dead father by recovering the legion's eagle standard will always be a page-turner - there are battles, furious chases, intrigue and jeopardy a-plenty, the growing trust and friendship between Roman and Briton, and even a touch of romance for Marcus and a red-haired Romano-British girl ( )
  DauntlessGirl | Jan 12, 2014 |
This is an excellent book about Marcus, a Roman Centurion and his experiences as an officer in the Roman military who struggles with the legacy of the 9th Legion - a Legion that has been both disparaged and guarded since disappearing into the mists in Britain with his father as the standard bearer of the Eagle. Journey with Marcus as he leads his soldiers as only a true Leader is able, and follow his quest into Britain with Esca to recover the Eagle pinnacle of the guidon from the standard that mysteriously disappeared along with his father and four thousand Roman soldiers when he was just a child.

This was a recommendation by Carole Joy Seid, homeschooling consultant for learning Ancient Roman history. We have thoroughly enjoyed the book and have begun reading the next book, The Silver Branch.

There is a movie, based upon this story titled "The Eagle". ( )
  the4otts | Oct 23, 2013 |
Re-read - just as thrilling as when I was a kid. ( )
  SChant | Oct 9, 2013 |
One of my favorite books when I was young, about how the son of a member of the Ninth Hispana legion, which vanished in northern Britain, retrieved its lost eagle. I have read more recent research that suggest the legion was just ended by administrative reorganization instead of perishing dramatically as in this book, but it is still a very good story and the first of a series of books set in Roman Britain which to me were Sutcliff's best. originally read this in the Bowling Green , Ohio library and bought this for myself much later because I remembered it fondly. ( )
  antiquary | Jul 8, 2013 |
not bad. took me a while to get into it. Appropriate for younger (MS/HS) readers or their parents. ( )
  annodoom | Jun 12, 2013 |

Rosemary Sutcliffprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crossley-Holland, KevinIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hodges, C.WalterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
From the Fosseway westward to Isca Dumnoniorum the road was simply a British trackway, broadened and roughly metalled, strengthened by corduroys of logs in the softest places, but otherwise unchanged from its old estate, as it wound among the hills, thrusting further and further into the wilderness.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0374419302, Paperback)

In a.d. 125, a young Roman centurion must recover the infamous Ninth Legion's missing symbol of honor, the eagle standard.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:55 -0400)

A young centurion ventures among the hostile tribes beyond the Roman Wall to recover the eagle standard of the Ninth, a legion which mysteriously disappeared under his father's command.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,565,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible