The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm by Nancy…

The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm (original 1994; edition 2012)

by Nancy Farmer

Member:Mz.Balma
Title:The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm
Authors:Nancy Farmer
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:To read
Tags:Children's/YA Literature, Novels/Novellas

The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm by Nancy Farmer (1994)

In Zimbabwe in the year 2194, the children of a high-ranking general are kidnapped and a trio of detectives with special abilities is on the case. I can't remember any other book set in the future of Africa; it's a continent science fiction seems to ignore, so this is an interesting change of pace, written by an author who lived in Zimbabwe for many years. The story is an exploration of the capitol city as the children make their way through an irradiated garbage dump, a walled-off enclave filled with separatists living in a village of the past, a robot-riddled English home, and a mile-high hotel arcology. The detectives are mutants with the powers of super-sight, super-hearing, and super-sensitivity, which makes their part of the story a bit reminiscent of a fairy tale like The Six Who Went Far. Best for older kids, as there's some very scary (and fairly gory) stuff, though it doesn't get too explicitly descriptive. ( )
  PlasticAtoms | Feb 22, 2014 |
RGG: Very interesting science-fiction story set in 22nd century Zimbabwe. The intersection of the future with African tribal culture is fascinating.
  rgruberexcel | Sep 4, 2013 |
There was a lot that I really enjoyed about this book - stories of Zimbabwe, especially some of the ancient culture and the beliefs, the interesting characters - great child protagonists, and a great sense of humor in many of the situations. But, the plot seemed to meander around and then at the climax, an arbitrary event occurs to resolve a very major conflict (no spoilers so this is vague). It almost seemed like it was time to wrap it up and that was a quick and easy ending. This is my 3rd book by Nancy Farmer and my least favorite, but still a good overall story.
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
Affecting story of the 3 kidnapped children of General Matsika. Set in a dystopian future Nairobi, and full of interesting characters. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
I know I’ve been seeing Farmer’s books around since middle school, but I never read any of them. When I started this one, I realized my mistake. Set in a futuristic Africa, the story manages to be chilling, beautiful, and a rollicking good adventure story all at the same time. [2010 in books] ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |

Nancy Farmerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Daniel Farmer - born in Resthaven
Someone was standing by his bed, a person completely unlike anyone Tendai had ever met.

In Zimbabwe in the year 2194, General Matsika calls in Africa's most unusual detectives--the Ear, the Eye, and the Arm--to find his missing children. By the author of Do You Know Me. Reprint. K. AB.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:05 -0400)

In 2194 in Zimbabwe, General Matsika's three children are kidnapped and put to work in a plastic mine while three mutant detectives use their special powers to search for them.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible