Retribution by Jilliane Hoffman

Info:Thorndike Press (2004), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 707 pages
Collections:listsofbests to get
Tags:unowned, listsofbests, angus and robertson's top 100 books

Retribution by Jilliane Hoffman

English (21)  German (3)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (26)
Retribution is a bit of a colour-by-numbers legal thriller; enjoyable as relaxed holiday reading. Hoffman makes it clear that we're supposed to sympathise with her protagonist C. J. Townsend,, a driven Miami prosecutor whose rape as a young woman in New York casts a shadow over her life. Yet the lengths C. J. goes to in order to make her rapist 'pay' make it hard to keep rooting for her. Especially once it becomes apparent that C.J.'s judgement is hopelessly compromised and leading her astray. ( )
  whirled | Mar 23, 2014 |
Excellent book, I really enjoyed it.

There were a few plot holes, but they didn't detract from my enjoyment.

Recommended. ( )
  Holly_85 | Mar 16, 2014 |
This was my first book by Jilliane Hoffman. As a matter of fact I had never heard of her before. On another site I came across this book and decided to give it a try (in German).

From the very first page the story grabbed me. At first there's the brutal rape and the aftermath. And then, I realised that C.J. and Chloe are the same person (yes, soemtimes it takes me awhile to figure things out...).
After that I couldn't put the book down, wanting to know 'what's next?, what will happen? how will it end? please let not...' It is not often that I do not have a clue about the who-dunnit untill he actually does the thing he's supposed to do. Wow!!

For all of you that haven't yet read the book but still want to, I'm not going to give away any more details. Would spoil the fun :-)

Morpheus is the next book, I'm certainly going to read that one too!

BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
4,5 Sterne... Super spannender Thriller, hat mich echt gefesselt. Zwar blieb bei mir dieses Angst-Gefühl aus, das viele Leserinnen hier beschrieben und auf das ich eigentlich schon freudig erwartet habe, aber einen gewissen emotionalen Druck könnte ich schon spüren. Hätte mir allerdings gewünscht, dass sich eine andere Lösung finden lässt, um ihrem Peiniger seine gerechte Strafe zukommen zu lassen... ( )
  mausi21 | Mar 31, 2013 |
For a first novel, this is a very worthwhile book. The author creates a fascinating narrative hook that links two periods in the heroine's life. Much of the work focuses on her experiences as a tough and experienced prosecutor, but her current case is giving her major agita. The dialogue is good, as is the description of how a prosecutorial case is assembled. There is some good speculation on legal ethics, for both the prosecution and defense, focusing on whether the ends do justify the means. The love interest is a tad too perfect. Also, the main character's Hamlet speculations become repetitive and slow down the story. But the ending is a surprise, and the book carries a realistic portrayal of someone for whom solid ground has turned into quicksand. ( )
  neddludd | Oct 14, 2012 |
Für meine grosse Liebe Rich, der nie gezweifelt hat, und für Amanda und Katarina, die immer geglaubt haben.
Wie immer war Chloe Larson in fürchterlicher Hetze.

retribution: n. punishment that is considered to be morally right and fully deserved
-The Oxford American Dictionary

When an elite prosecutor faces the most lethal predator she's ever encountered, it all comes down to a choice between justice . . .

. . . and retribution

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:19 -0400)

When an elite prosecutor faces the most lethal predator she's ever encountered, it all comes down to a choice between justice and retribution.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,632,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible