Retribution by Jilliane Hoffman

Info:Thorndike Press (2004), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 707 pages
Collections:listsofbests to get
Tags:unowned, listsofbests, angus and robertson's top 100 books

Retribution by Jilliane Hoffman

English (22)  German (3)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (27)
I am writing this as an afterthought May 14th, 2014 as I am reading [b:The Cutting Room|13649739|The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend #3)|Jilliane Hoffman|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1343127215s/13649739.jpg|19269336] (currently at 63%). One of the things I did not like was how twisted the ending was in serving justice. Well, just to say, justice comes back with a vengeance in the the Cutting Room to bite back. While it it is not clear how bad it will be, C J still has problems and the decisions made here might hunt her in the future. Is this required reading for The Cutting Room? No, but it helps. Parts of it are repeated as flashbacks of memory in The Cutting Room. Also as I have not yet finished it, I may change my review here and then I will write a review of The Cutting Room. ( )
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
Retribution is a bit of a colour-by-numbers legal thriller; enjoyable as relaxed holiday reading. Hoffman makes it clear that we're supposed to sympathise with her protagonist C. J. Townsend,, a driven Miami prosecutor whose rape as a young woman in New York casts a shadow over her life. Yet the lengths C. J. goes to in order to make her rapist 'pay' make it hard to keep rooting for her. Especially once it becomes apparent that C.J.'s judgement is hopelessly compromised and leading her astray. ( )
  whirled | Mar 23, 2014 |
Excellent book, I really enjoyed it.

There were a few plot holes, but they didn't detract from my enjoyment.

Recommended. ( )
  Holly_85 | Mar 16, 2014 |
This was my first book by Jilliane Hoffman. As a matter of fact I had never heard of her before. On another site I came across this book and decided to give it a try (in German).

From the very first page the story grabbed me. At first there's the brutal rape and the aftermath. And then, I realised that C.J. and Chloe are the same person (yes, soemtimes it takes me awhile to figure things out...).
After that I couldn't put the book down, wanting to know 'what's next?, what will happen? how will it end? please let not...' It is not often that I do not have a clue about the who-dunnit untill he actually does the thing he's supposed to do. Wow!!

For all of you that haven't yet read the book but still want to, I'm not going to give away any more details. Would spoil the fun :-)

Morpheus is the next book, I'm certainly going to read that one too!

BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
4,5 Sterne... Super spannender Thriller, hat mich echt gefesselt. Zwar blieb bei mir dieses Angst-Gefühl aus, das viele Leserinnen hier beschrieben und auf das ich eigentlich schon freudig erwartet habe, aber einen gewissen emotionalen Druck könnte ich schon spüren. Hätte mir allerdings gewünscht, dass sich eine andere Lösung finden lässt, um ihrem Peiniger seine gerechte Strafe zukommen zu lassen... ( )
  mausi21 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Für meine grosse Liebe Rich, der nie gezweifelt hat, und für Amanda und Katarina, die immer geglaubt haben.
Wie immer war Chloe Larson in fürchterlicher Hetze.

retribution: n. punishment that is considered to be morally right and fully deserved
-The Oxford American Dictionary

When an elite prosecutor faces the most lethal predator she's ever encountered, it all comes down to a choice between justice . . .

. . . and retribution

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:52 -0400)

When an elite prosecutor faces the most lethal predator she's ever encountered, it all comes down to a choice between justice and retribution.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible