Preaching: The Art of Narrative Exposition…

Preaching: The Art of Narrative Exposition (original 2006; edition 2010)

by Calvin Miller

Member:StephenBarkley
Title:Preaching: The Art of Narrative Exposition
Authors:Calvin Miller
Info:
Collections:Your library, @Church
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Non-Fiction, Religion, Homiletics

Preaching: The Art of Narrative Exposition by Calvin Miller (2006)

I preach about 50 messages every year—in addition to teaching a number of Bible studies. I've learned that the single most important way to grab someone's attention and connect is to tell a story. In an effort to become more effective, I picked up this book on preaching from a master story teller.

The strength of this book was the perception Miller has gained from years of preaching. Here are a few examples of his insight:

- "The textless sermon is a stammering talk by a prophet whose amnesia will not allow him to cherish the call" (101).

- I think God has never used a cookie cutter to mass-produce prophets" (180).

- "People don't want to know the truth you read (they can read for themselves). They want to know how you personally feel about the truth you read" (182).

My biggest frustration was the old bait-and-switch with the subtitle. I expected to glean insight from a seasoned story-teller. I expected a book on "Narrative Exposition." Instead, I read a text on sermon preparation that spoke about the importance of storytelling while sharing very little about how to actually tell a good story.

Overall, Miller's tone and quick sense of humour made this book an interesting read. I just wish he spent more time on the subtitle. ( )
1 vote StephenBarkley | Aug 22, 2012 |
Calvin Miller has definitely made a significant contribution to the field of expository preaching. It is a volume homileticians should read and take to heart. Whether the work will endure and become a staple in preacher's libraries such as Haddon Robinson's many volumes remains to be seen. For an enjoyable experience, this volume will provide many laughs, along with several daggers that can pierce the soul.
added by Christa_Josh | editJournal of the Evangelical Theological Society, Paul Jacobs (Mar 1, 2008)

The pastors and seminary students who browse the shelves of Christian bookstores are looking for resources that will help them inject vigor and passion into their ministry. What they need is a book on narrative exposition, a book that will help them connect to the younger, contemporary members in the church such as GenXers and millenials. This is that book. Because they are speaking to a younger society more attuned to lively dialogue and visual images, pastors need a fresh wineskin for a timeless message of redemption. Calvin Miller, who has preached and equipped preachers for decades, offers a volume of helpful insights for pastors to deliver the heart of the gospel via the Jesus-endorsed vessel of compelling storytelling. For the working pastor, Miller's crash course on preaching is a welcomed study.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:01 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,357,802 books! | Top bar: Always visible