The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon

The Fiery Cross (2001)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (5)

English (72)  German (1)  All languages (73)
I was excited to read about their adventures in the colonies, but this isn't one of the best books of the series. It starts to feel a bit like a bunch of mystery novels blended together, with few of them reaching resolution.

I'm still glad I read it, and if you like the series it's well worth it. ( )
  RobinWebster | Nov 28, 2014 |
Book #5 of Outlander - The Jamie and Claire Fraser Saga continues! Spectacular continuation of the story. The clan has a new setting in North Carolina "Fraser's ridge". Briana and Roger, Steven Bonnet and Ian all have tragic encounters, edge of seat, tears, joy and sorrow. After 5 straight in the series, I am ready for a break... but will definitely continue on this journey with this incredible Scot Saga! ( )
  booklovers2 | Nov 26, 2014 |
Alibris: The Fiery Cross Book | Gabaldon, Diana NEW PB 0440221668 BAZ; Condition: New; $17.41
  dbmillegan | Oct 24, 2014 |
I began the fifth book in the Outlander series after watching Season one of the televised version on Starz. It has been a few years since reading Drums of Autumn/Book 4 but I had no difficulty getting back into the story.

The main characters are Claire Randall, the nurse gone back in time and her husband Jaime Mackenzie Fraser the Scottish Highlander as well as Claire's daughter Briana and her husband Roger. We are now in the year 1771 and Jaime has been warned by Claire the war is approaching. Set in South Carolina we are witness to history unfolding and wonder whether it will be changed with the gift of foresight.

While anticipating this oncoming war we spend days at Fraser's Ridge doing routine chores such as making candles, hunting squirrels, and jarring honey. This proved to be quite interesting as the lack of technology and limited resources in this era made such tasks tedious but yet a way of life. The most fascinating is when we witness Claire performing autopsies and amputations as she makes due MacGyver style with whatever she has on hand in addition to a wing and a prayer. I mostly enjoyed the character development of Roger. I feel like he "came of age" in this story. On the other hand I felt Bree whined endlessly and had a rather chilly personality. The scenes with her were the ones that seemed to drag for me

Spanning 979 pages this book is rich in detail to say the least. Diana Gabaldon's books are easy to read but the sheer length can be wearisome at times. Trying to summarize the story would be rather difficult so I'm keeping this rather brief as I suppose that unless you've began the series you wouldn't read this installment. I would say to anyone who hasn't read the series, you are missing something spectacular. This saga is storytelling at it's finest and not books to rush through. You must devote the time in order to appreciate it. I have 3 books to go in the series and while I may not pick up A Breath of Snow and Ashes/Book 6 tomorrow I have every intention of reading it and the remainder of the collection.

How I acquired this book: A Christmas gift from my son several years ago.
Shelf Life: More than 5 years ( )
  missjomarch | Oct 22, 2014 |
Loved her entire series up until this point. It seems like the descriptions is clogging up the pace. I skipped through most of the descriptions. ( )
  annertan | Jul 31, 2014 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ik heb oorlog meegemaakt, en veel verloren. Ik weet wat het waard is om voor te vechten, en wat niet.
Eer en moed zijn essentiële zaken, en voor datgene waarvoor een man bereid is te doden, zal hij soms ook willen sterven.
En dat, o verwanten, is waarom een vrouw brede heupen heeft: dat benige bekken is zowel het toevluchtsoord van een man als zijn kind. Het leven van een man ontspringt aan het lichaam van zijn vrouw, en in haar bloed vindt zijn eer zijn oorsprong.
Voor de liefde alleen, zal ik mij wederom door het vuur begeven.
This book is for my Sister, Theresa Gabaldon, with whom I told the first Stories.
I woke to the patter of rain on canvas, with the feel of my first husband's kiss on my lips.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440221668, Mass Market Paperback)

The fiery cross, once used to summon Highland clans to war, now beckons readers to take up Diana Gabaldon's fifth installment in the Outlander series featuring the time-traveling Frasers. Historical fiction fans who have waited four long years since the publication of Drums of Autumn will thrill to Gabaldon's trademark detail and sensuality, both displayed liberally throughout the nearly 1,000 pages of The Fiery Cross. In this pre-Revolutionary War period, Claire Fraser and her husband, Jamie, have crossed oceans and centuries to build a life together in the bucolic beauty of North Carolina. But tensions both ancient and recent threaten not only Claire and James, but their daughter, Brianna, her new husband, Roger, and their infant son, Jemmy, as well as members of their clan. Gabaldon delivers on what she does best: poignant storylines, empathetic characters, meticulous detail, and searing passion. Savor every carefully chosen word, readers; it may be a long time until the next installment! --Alison Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:04 -0400)

The year is 1771, and war is approaching. Jamie Fraser's wife has told him so. Little as he wishes to, he must believe it, for hers is a gift of dreadful prophecy - a time-traveler's certain knowledge. To break his oath to the Crown will brand him a traitor; to keep it is certain doom. Jamie Fraser stands in the shadow of the fiery cross - a standard that leads nowhere but to the bloody brink of war. In 1771, Scotman Jamie Fraser and his twentieth-century time-traveler wife, Claire Randall, become caught between a loyalty to the Crown and the changing times, as the American Revolution draws inevitably closer, in a new volume from the Outlander saga.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,399,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible