The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon

The Fiery Cross (2001)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (5)

English (68)  German (1)  All languages (69)
Loved her entire series up until this point. It seems like the descriptions is clogging up the pace. I skipped through most of the descriptions. ( )
  annertan | Jul 31, 2014 |
This is not a series for the faint-hearted, that's for sure! Diana Gabaldon is an extraordinarily talented writer. Precise, detailed, and exceedingly good at painting a scene. All traits that make her books so engrossing.

That said, boy howdy, this book. So. Much. Happens. Honestly, I would have to write a novella to even faithfully summarize "The Fiery Cross." And, based on the world Gabaldon has created, I'm frankly surprised anyone at all survived colonial America. Perhaps the Frasers et al are just supremely unlucky and massive magnets for danger, though. Still, the poor characters can't go a week without someone maimed, missing, attacked, kidnapped, forced into battle, or at death's door. Talk about long-suffering!

Now, I know this all seems rather critical, but I truly don't mean it to be. I really like the Outlander series. The characters inspire loyalty and attachment and I do truly want to know what happens next. The settings are always rich and vivid and I feel like I'm part of the story and part of the action. Nevertheless, I'm taking an Outlander break before diving into the next book! For now, I'm savoring the many details and plot twists and preparing my palette for more adventures! ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |
I think it was better this time reading it - I got bogged down a little in the middle, but it really picked up in the end. Book 5 of the Outlander series - on to book 6! ( )
  hobbitprincess | Jun 5, 2014 |
Note: The Fiery Cross is the fifth novel in the "Outlander Series." There will necessarily be spoilers for the first four books in the series.

This series tells the ongoing saga of English nurse Claire who travels back in time and takes up with hot Highland hunk Jamie Fraser.

The Fiery Cross begins with the wedding of Jamie and Claire’s daughter Brianna (“Bree”) to Roger MacKenzie, a descendant of Jamie’s uncle, Dougal MacKenzie, and the time traveler Geillis. At this point in the saga, Bree is 23, Roger 30, Jamie 49, and Claire 54. They are all still rutting like rabbits, and in a remarkably similar way. But there’s more than sex going on in the early 1770s in North Carolina. For one thing, a number of families now reside on Jamie’s land grant, and there are many babies. So in this book a lot of time is spent on diapers, spit-up, and other daily drudges associated with the care and feeding of kids.

More importantly, the Governor has called up a Militia to help put down some anti-taxation protestors calling themselves “Regulators.” Jamie, as part of the deal to get his land, had agreed to organize and lead a regiment whenever called upon to do so. He summons his men with a “fiery cross” as was done in the Highlands of Scotland, but, seeking to avoid bloodshed, he sends Roger to try to get the Regulators to back down. Roger commits an error in judgment and may lose his life over it. And two characters return to the story, one bad, and one good, with dramatic repercussions in each case.

Discussion: This book employs more standard romance tropes than usual, but most aren't too eye-rolling, except perhaps for this passage, in which Bree is asking her mom how she can know what her life is meant for:

"‘What about Da?’

‘What about him?’

‘Does he - is he one who knows what he is, do you think?’

Claire’s hands stilled, the clanking pestle falling silent.

‘Oh yes,’ she said. ‘He knows.’

‘A laird? Is that what you’d call it?’

Her mother hesitated, thinking.

‘No,’ she said at last. She took up the pestle and began to grind again. The fragrance of dried marjoram filled the room like incense. ‘He’s a man,’ she said, ‘and that’s no small thing to be.’”

Evaluation: If you’re following the series, and have a lot of time to read, it’s worth continuing on, to see what happens to this family, the members of which you come to know quite intimately (double entendre intentional). ( )
  nbmars | May 23, 2014 |
I found it very hard to rate this book. While I still love Jamie and Claire and the story line, this book was a very long read. There was so non-important information and details written in the book that it seemed like too much work to get to the plot. There were a few exciting story lines throughout the book but these happened quick and then it was back to the same stretched out day to day activities (many times reading about a diaper change, breastfeeding, hard breasts from not breastfeeding). Part way through the book I decided that this was it, I would not continue reading future books. However, by the end of the book I was excited for the outcome (or maybe just excited to finally finish)and interested in the next book. I will attempt book 6 in the series but I will definitely need a break before starting that. ( )
  kim.jacobs | Apr 1, 2014 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ik heb oorlog meegemaakt, en veel verloren. Ik weet wat het waard is om voor te vechten, en wat niet.
Eer en moed zijn essentiële zaken, en voor datgene waarvoor een man bereid is te doden, zal hij soms ook willen sterven.
En dat, o verwanten, is waarom een vrouw brede heupen heeft: dat benige bekken is zowel het toevluchtsoord van een man als zijn kind. Het leven van een man ontspringt aan het lichaam van zijn vrouw, en in haar bloed vindt zijn eer zijn oorsprong.
Voor de liefde alleen, zal ik mij wederom door het vuur begeven.
This book is for my Sister, Theresa Gabaldon, with whom I told the first Stories.
I woke to the patter of rain on canvas, with the feel of my first husband's kiss on my lips.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440221668, Mass Market Paperback)

The fiery cross, once used to summon Highland clans to war, now beckons readers to take up Diana Gabaldon's fifth installment in the Outlander series featuring the time-traveling Frasers. Historical fiction fans who have waited four long years since the publication of Drums of Autumn will thrill to Gabaldon's trademark detail and sensuality, both displayed liberally throughout the nearly 1,000 pages of The Fiery Cross. In this pre-Revolutionary War period, Claire Fraser and her husband, Jamie, have crossed oceans and centuries to build a life together in the bucolic beauty of North Carolina. But tensions both ancient and recent threaten not only Claire and James, but their daughter, Brianna, her new husband, Roger, and their infant son, Jemmy, as well as members of their clan. Gabaldon delivers on what she does best: poignant storylines, empathetic characters, meticulous detail, and searing passion. Savor every carefully chosen word, readers; it may be a long time until the next installment! --Alison Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:04 -0400)

The year is 1771, and war is approaching. Jamie Fraser's wife has told him so. Little as he wishes to, he must believe it, for hers is a gift of dreadful prophecy - a time-traveler's certain knowledge. To break his oath to the Crown will brand him a traitor; to keep it is certain doom. Jamie Fraser stands in the shadow of the fiery cross - a standard that leads nowhere but to the bloody brink of war. In 1771, Scotman Jamie Fraser and his twentieth-century time-traveler wife, Claire Randall, become caught between a loyalty to the Crown and the changing times, as the American Revolution draws inevitably closer, in a new volume from the Outlander saga.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,335,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible