The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon

The Fiery Cross (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Diana Gabaldon

7,320120727 (4.13)185
Member:treetracker
Title:The Fiery Cross
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:Delacorte Press (2001), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 992 pages

The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon (2001)

English (118)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (120)
Fifth book in the Outlander series. The American Revolution is only a few years away and unrest is brewing. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Sep 8, 2018 |
I felt this book kind of dragged on and on until about the last 100 pages- then once again she blindsides you with things you either completely forgot or thought were done with! Roger is a lot stronger of a character in this book. At this point in the series, this is my least favorite one. ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
Audible audiobook narrated by Davina Porter.

Book number five in the popular Outlander series continues the saga of Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser. Now established on Fraser’s Ridge in a settlement populated by other Scots, they begin to recognize the rumblings of the coming Revolutionary War.

Well, there’s plenty of drama and intrigue in these tales … personal and political. I’m getting pretty tired of Briana and Roger, and of Claire’s medical experiments (does she really think she can create penicillin?!). Finally – and I never thought I’d say this, but – I rather miss the sex scenes between Jamie and Claire. Oh, there are a few, but this is hardly the passion that fueled the first two books in the series. Still, it’s a ripping good yarn that moves at a quick pace and held my interest through 56 hours of audio!

And speaking of the audio … Davina Porter is absolutely pitch perfect in her interpretation of these stories. Every character comes to life and Porter gives them all believable voices. Brava. ( )
  BookConcierge | Aug 2, 2018 |
3.25 stars

*****Possible SPOILERS for earlier book(s) in the series*****
Roger and Brianna are getting married, as are Jocasta (Jamie’s aunt) and her beau. Stephen Bonnett (who raped Brianna) may or may not be dead, and Brianna’s son, Jemmy, may or may not be Roger’s.
*****END SPOILERS*****
Plus lots more to cover over 1000 pages…

These books are so long. I read one/year, during my holidays from work. I don’t know whether or not it’s worth continuing. This one (as the others might, but it’s been a while) felt like a series of vignettes… in order to fill over 1300 pages, so in some ways, kind of like short stories with the same characters. Some of those vignettes I found interesting; others, I didn’t. It’s not a fast paced book (or series), but there were open-ended threads left at the end of the book. The length of these books makes me not want to continue, but I’m still interested, so I don’t know. I will certainly continue watching the tv show. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 20, 2018 |
This one was slog. I felt the story was really all over the place, and that it must be setting up the next book in the series. There was no coherent plot and many of the story lines were left unresolved. I also felt it did not have some of the dynamic interactions among the characters that there was in the other novels in the series. I did not really feel the spark between Roger and Brianna or Jamie and Claire. I was a bit disappointed. ( )
  MicrobeMom | Mar 23, 2018 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Craft, KinukoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schnell, Barbarasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ik heb oorlog meegemaakt, en veel verloren. Ik weet wat het waard is om voor te vechten, en wat niet.
Eer en moed zijn essentiële zaken, en voor datgene waarvoor een man bereid is te doden, zal hij soms ook willen sterven.
En dat, o verwanten, is waarom een vrouw brede heupen heeft: dat benige bekken is zowel het toevluchtsoord van een man als zijn kind. Het leven van een man ontspringt aan het lichaam van zijn vrouw, en in haar bloed vindt zijn eer zijn oorsprong.
Voor de liefde alleen, zal ik mij wederom door het vuur begeven.
This book is for my Sister, Theresa Gabaldon, with whom I told the first Stories.
I woke to the patter of rain on canvas, with the feel of my first husband's kiss on my lips.
The French translations of the Outlander series have been split in different ways by different publishers. Also, the same titles have been used for different splits. You can find information about the splits here: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Chard... Please do not combine French translations with each other or with other language versions without checking that the content is the same. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440221668, Mass Market Paperback)

The fiery cross, once used to summon Highland clans to war, now beckons readers to take up Diana Gabaldon's fifth installment in the Outlander series featuring the time-traveling Frasers. Historical fiction fans who have waited four long years since the publication of Drums of Autumn will thrill to Gabaldon's trademark detail and sensuality, both displayed liberally throughout the nearly 1,000 pages of The Fiery Cross. In this pre-Revolutionary War period, Claire Fraser and her husband, Jamie, have crossed oceans and centuries to build a life together in the bucolic beauty of North Carolina. But tensions both ancient and recent threaten not only Claire and James, but their daughter, Brianna, her new husband, Roger, and their infant son, Jemmy, as well as members of their clan. Gabaldon delivers on what she does best: poignant storylines, empathetic characters, meticulous detail, and searing passion. Savor every carefully chosen word, readers; it may be a long time until the next installment! --Alison Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:38 -0400)

Crossing the boundaries of genre with its unrivalled storytelling, Diana Gabaldon's new novel is a gift both to her millions of loyal fans and to the lucky readers who have yet to discover her. In the ten years since her extraordinary debut novel, Outlander, was published, beloved author Diana Gabaldon has entertained scores of readers with her heart-stirring stories and remarkable characters. The four volumes of her bestselling saga, featuring eighteenth-century Scotsman James Fraser and his twentieth-century, time-traveling wife, Claire Randall, boasts nearly 5 million copies in the U.S. The story of Outlander begins just after the Second World War, when a British field nurse named Claire Randall walks through a cleft stone in the Scottish highlands and is transported back some two hundred years to 1743. Here, now, is The Fiery Cross, the eagerly awaited fifth volume in this remarkable, award-winning series of historical novels. The year is 1771, and war is approaching. Jamie Fraser's wife has told him so. Little as he wishes to, he must believe it, for hers is a gift of dreadful prophecy - a time-traveler's certain knowledge. To break his oath to the Crown will brand him a traitor; to keep it is certain doom. Jamie Fraser stands in the shadow of the fiery cross - a standard that leads nowhere but to the bloody brink of war. In 1771, Scotman Jamie Fraser and his twentieth-century time-traveler wife, Claire Randall, become caught between a loyalty to the Crown and the changing times, as the American Revolution draws inevitably closer, in a new volume from the Outlander saga.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,004,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible