The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon

The Fiery Cross (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Diana Gabaldon

Member:treetracker
Title:The Fiery Cross
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:Delacorte Press (2001), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 992 pages

The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon (2001)

English (124)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (126)
By now the Frasers and MacKenzies are old friends of mine. Many reviewers of this book comment on it being “too long,” “too thick,” and including “too many details.” I agree, some of the details might be a bit too personal if Diana hadn’t written this series in such a way that reading them feels like hanging out with one of my oldest, dearest friends, a friend for whom there is no “TMI.” Yes, this is a very long book. You should not start this book if you want a quick light read.

I really enjoy pairing the audio version of the book (Davina Porter perfectly portrays Claire) with the print version. I drive a great deal for work and family and listening to the story not only moves me through the volume more quickly, it provides a different experience than just reading. The Gaelic dialogue, British pronunciations, and “Scottish noises” translate much better through audio than my brain alone could figure.

Diana does a wonderful job of immersing her reader into the 18th century. While I’m certain some of the difficulties are minimized, having the time be described by a character who has also experienced the 20th century provides a unique perspective that makes me wonder if we’ve forgotten some of the beauty of life and relationships with all the advancements and comforts we currently enjoy. ( )
  Corrine333 | Mar 23, 2019 |
The fifth book in the outlander series moves at a much slower pace than most of the others so far. It also struggles to have a distinct story to it. Whereas most of the books could stand alone as novels in their own rite, with a logical story arc, this book is more of a housekeeping book, doing the heavy lifting of advancing several story lines to what will hopefully be some dramatic conclusions in the next book.

This book lacks a lot of the graphic sex scenes that the earlier books have, and while the book does have a number of action sequences, they are not nearly as cartoonist and unrealistic as previous books.

The action in this book is meaningful, but disjointed. The character development is critical, but only marginally interesting.

But, as I said, the progression of the characters and story lines is going to be critical for the overall series arc, and no one is reading this book unless they are immersed in the overall story, so it is a must read for Outlander fans. Just give yourself a little more time to slog through it. ( )
  McCarthys | Jan 30, 2019 |
More than the other books in this series so far, I think this one lacks a strong through line. There's one mystery plot that's introduced at the beginning and resolved toward the end, but it frequently gets subsumed by other smaller (e.g. the snake bite) and larger (e.g. the time travel) threads. It's not a bad book by any means, and as usual, I quite like Gabaldon's prose. It was just a little too easy to put down for long periods of time. ( )
  epaulettes | Jan 3, 2019 |
It took me over a month to read this one, but it was well worth it. The slow reading pace had much more to do with life circumstances and the desire to savor the novel than it did with the writing (which was excellent!). I have to admit that by the time I got to the last part, I had no choice but to give up on the savoring and devour the rest of the book. :) ( )
  KristinaSimon | Nov 24, 2018 |
It certainly wasn't as fast paced as the earlier books, but I like reading about the daily lives of pioneers in the 1700s, so I still enjoyed it. ( )
  Silvia_rubicula | Oct 8, 2018 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Craft, KinukoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schnell, Barbarasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ik heb oorlog meegemaakt, en veel verloren. Ik weet wat het waard is om voor te vechten, en wat niet.
Eer en moed zijn essentiële zaken, en voor datgene waarvoor een man bereid is te doden, zal hij soms ook willen sterven.
En dat, o verwanten, is waarom een vrouw brede heupen heeft: dat benige bekken is zowel het toevluchtsoord van een man als zijn kind. Het leven van een man ontspringt aan het lichaam van zijn vrouw, en in haar bloed vindt zijn eer zijn oorsprong.
Voor de liefde alleen, zal ik mij wederom door het vuur begeven.
This book is for my Sister, Theresa Gabaldon, with whom I told the first Stories.
I woke to the patter of rain on canvas, with the feel of my first husband's kiss on my lips.
The French translations of the Outlander series have been split in different ways by different publishers. Also, the same titles have been used for different splits. You can find information about the splits here: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Chard... Please do not combine French translations with each other or with other language versions without checking that the content is the same. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440221668, Mass Market Paperback)

The fiery cross, once used to summon Highland clans to war, now beckons readers to take up Diana Gabaldon's fifth installment in the Outlander series featuring the time-traveling Frasers. Historical fiction fans who have waited four long years since the publication of Drums of Autumn will thrill to Gabaldon's trademark detail and sensuality, both displayed liberally throughout the nearly 1,000 pages of The Fiery Cross. In this pre-Revolutionary War period, Claire Fraser and her husband, Jamie, have crossed oceans and centuries to build a life together in the bucolic beauty of North Carolina. But tensions both ancient and recent threaten not only Claire and James, but their daughter, Brianna, her new husband, Roger, and their infant son, Jemmy, as well as members of their clan. Gabaldon delivers on what she does best: poignant storylines, empathetic characters, meticulous detail, and searing passion. Savor every carefully chosen word, readers; it may be a long time until the next installment! --Alison Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:38 -0400)

Crossing the boundaries of genre with its unrivalled storytelling, Diana Gabaldon's new novel is a gift both to her millions of loyal fans and to the lucky readers who have yet to discover her. In the ten years since her extraordinary debut novel, Outlander, was published, beloved author Diana Gabaldon has entertained scores of readers with her heart-stirring stories and remarkable characters. The four volumes of her bestselling saga, featuring eighteenth-century Scotsman James Fraser and his twentieth-century, time-traveling wife, Claire Randall, boasts nearly 5 million copies in the U.S. The story of Outlander begins just after the Second World War, when a British field nurse named Claire Randall walks through a cleft stone in the Scottish highlands and is transported back some two hundred years to 1743. Here, now, is The Fiery Cross, the eagerly awaited fifth volume in this remarkable, award-winning series of historical novels. The year is 1771, and war is approaching. Jamie Fraser's wife has told him so. Little as he wishes to, he must believe it, for hers is a gift of dreadful prophecy - a time-traveler's certain knowledge. To break his oath to the Crown will brand him a traitor; to keep it is certain doom. Jamie Fraser stands in the shadow of the fiery cross - a standard that leads nowhere but to the bloody brink of war. In 1771, Scotman Jamie Fraser and his twentieth-century time-traveler wife, Claire Randall, become caught between a loyalty to the Crown and the changing times, as the American Revolution draws inevitably closer, in a new volume from the Outlander saga.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,053,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible