Vixen by Lila Fine
    Ingenue by Jillian Larkin (Hollerama)
    Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Both are YA historical fiction series set during the 1920s.
    The Luxe by Anna Godbersen (lilkim714)
1920s (162)

A young adult novel set in the roaring 20's, smack dab in the thick of it all in downtown Chicago. Gloria Carmody is a straight A student, socialite debutante who is engaged to Sebastian Grey. Her troubled cousin, Clara Knowles, comes to help with the wedding and get away from her secret past. Lorraine Dyer is Gloria's best friend, who happens to be a flapper, has some important choices to make regarding their friendship. Marcus Eastman is like a brother to Gloria, the object of Lorraine's unrequited love and a definite playboy. Together the four take the reader through the seedy, underground world of gangsters and flappers during the Prohibition Era in a quest to find themselves, and love.

This book was very hard for me to put down. In fact this is the first week for discussion on it for the Barnes and Noble First Look and I couldn't stop reading at each designated sections. I just was not able to! I had to know more, I had to know what Gloria, Clara, and Lorraine were going to do next. I loved reading a timed piece like this, from the 1920's. This is part of a series by Jillian Larkin, so it ends with a bang and leaves you wanting for more. Of course we'll be waiting until next year to get our hands on Ingenue.
  jaimelee77 | Jul 7, 2015 |
Even though this had a stellar ending I have to admit that a lot of this story was a snoozer. There was lots of backstory and build up that I think was well written and necessary to the story but just didn't capture my attention. (Hence the long time it took me to finish) 3.5 Stars and unsure about reading book 2. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
This was somewhere between a 2 and 3 for me. The beginning half was slow and predictable as well as completely dramatic. The end was better and it almost got me interested in reading the next in the series but not quite. I don't think I would recommend this book to anyone honestly. Just an ok read. ( )
  morgantaylor | Dec 2, 2014 |
I also couldn't get into this story. I think the whole flipping back and forth between characters was disorienting. I think that the concept is cool and the look into a fascinating period in American history was very cool. This book is like a 20's version of Gossip Girl. So if you like drama and intrigue this book is definitely for you. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I really wanted to love this book. This is one of my favorite times in history. Ultimately, I didn't care about the characters and not enough attention was paid to the history, fashion, or even the music of the Roaring 20's. I have no desire to read the rest of this series. ( )
  trishaj | Oct 7, 2014 |
PART ONE

SPEAK EASY

****

All life is just a progression toward,
and then a recession from,
one phrase - I love you.

~F. Scott Fitzgerald ("The Off-Shore Pirate,"
The Saturday Evening Post, 29 May 1920)
PART TWO

SPEAK LOW

****

I don't want to live.
I want to love first,
and live incidentally.

~Zelda Fitzgerald (1919)
For the two finest modern-day flappers,
Beverly and Wendy:
You've got all the moves.

In 1923 Chicago, seventeen-year-old Gloria Carmody rebels against her upcoming society wedding by visiting a speakeasy, while her Pennsylvania cousin, Clara, hides similar tastes and her best friend, Lorraine, makes plans of her own.

55 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,132,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible