Vixen by Lila Fine
    Ingenue by Jillian Larkin (Hollerama)
    Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Both are YA historical fiction series set during the 1920s.
    The Luxe by Anna Godbersen (lilkim714)
1920s (156)

I picked this up just for the cover.
It looked so apropos at the Jazz Age Lawn Party!
Upon reading it, at first I was a little taken aback by the 'juvenile' feel to it - it's got a hefty dose of teen romance. At times I felt as if the author's ideas about teen relationships were not very firmly grounded in her time period, and were based instead on modern conventions.
However, as the book went on, I got more into it, and fond myself caring what happened with the characters.
It still suffers from stereotypes, and an oversimplified sense of bad/good.
But if I come across the sequel (it's very much set up for a sequel) I just might pick it up... ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Vixen follows three girls living in the roaring twenties. Country-cousin Clara is putting on a show of being a goody two shoes while staying with her cousin. She's living in Chicago with her cousin Gloria who is supposed to be planning one of the most important social events of the season, her weading to Sabastian Grey. Lorraine is Gloria's childhood best friend and she is getting very jealous of Gloria. Gloria's fun in the speakeasy, Gloria's upcoming marriange and Gloria's relationship with her cousin Clara.

It took me a while to review this one because I kept getting distracted by other things. I should have reviewed it right away so I could be more specific but cest la vie.

The beginning of this book was just not entertaining to me. It felt like the author was trying to hard. There was too much slang and it didn't all sound right. Some of the descriptions were a little heavy handed too. (The description of her first taste of gin was just a little bit much, I'm not going into specifics cause it was just gross.)

However as it progressed I started to enjoy it more and more. There were lots of little mysteries going on. What was Clara's secret? Who kept spilling Gloria's secrets? I felt like these little mysteries made it more interesting and kept the book going for me.

PART ONE

SPEAK EASY

****

All life is just a progression toward,
and then a recession from,
one phrase - I love you.

~F. Scott Fitzgerald ("The Off-Shore Pirate,"
The Saturday Evening Post, 29 May 1920)
PART TWO

SPEAK LOW

****

I don't want to live.
I want to love first,
and live incidentally.

~Zelda Fitzgerald (1919)
For the two finest modern-day flappers,
Beverly and Wendy:
You've got all the moves.

In 1923 Chicago, seventeen-year-old Gloria Carmody rebels against her upcoming society wedding by visiting a speakeasy, while her Pennsylvania cousin, Clara, hides similar tastes and her best friend, Lorraine, makes plans of her own.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,237,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible