Ghost Story: A Novel of the Dresden Files by…

Ghost Story: A Novel of the Dresden Files (edition 2012)

by Jim Butcher (Author)

2,9071512,952 (4.07)1 / 110
Member:elbakerone
Title:Ghost Story: A Novel of the Dresden Files
Authors:Jim Butcher (Author)
Info:Roc (2012), Edition: Reprint, 608 pages
Tags:fiction, fantasy, urban fantasy, ghosts, Dresden, finished in 2016

Ghost Story by Jim Butcher

English (150)  German (1)  All languages (151)
I must confess, I never do this, never ever, but I had to read the ending before I read this book. I had to!

I LOVED this book! I cried like a baby. ( )
  bm2ng | Apr 9, 2019 |
I haven't read many of this author's work--in fact, this is the second book. I enjoyed the first one (which was a paperback), but not enough to continue with the series. However, this time I listened to the audio book and really enjoyed it. Listening to a story unwind is sometimes much better than reading words on a page. This is especially true for me when I can't seem to get into a story. Ghost Story was exciting. It didn't matter that I didn't know the back story. I could easily figure out who was who; and what was happening.

I'm not sorry I tried this author again. Recommended. ( )
  KarenLeeField | Mar 13, 2019 |
The audiobook bingeing continues, and this book is just so good. Melancholy and good. Without the ability to charge into action (being a, you know, ghost), Harry is forced to confront himself in the best and worst ways. Emotions surface. Decisions are questioned. And he discovers even death doesn't negate the consequences of the events he set into motion in the last book. His friends have had to make hard decisions too, after his death. They won't be the same people they were before.

For those who wanted the series to remain as it started (paranormal cases solved by the end of each book, Harry as the snarky action hero with a guilt complex), this book might be perceived as an unwelcome slowing of the pace. But for a characters-first reader like me, this story arc works wonderfully. ( )
  AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |
It's been a minute since I caught up on the Dresden Files and I'm soo glad I checked back for this one! Damn, it was a good one! In the previous book Harry Dresden has been shot and presumably killed. This book pretty much confirms his death, as he comes back as a ghost. He is told he must track down his killer otherwise three people he loves will be harmed and possibly killed. He goes back to Chicago and has the task of trying to figure out how to get his friends to see or even hear him. He's a ghost dammit! Things quickly escalate and soon he isn't even concerned with tracking down his killer; he just wants to keep his friends safe. Fast paced from start to finish, I cannot wait to get to the next one! ( )
  ecataldi | Feb 11, 2019 |
Well, that was something. ( )
  wordsampersand | Dec 6, 2018 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Glover, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundgren, RayCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Air, for introducing me to Mab by onion-colored light
Life is hard.
"Got a rocket," I sang, "in your pocket. Turn off the juice, boy."
Show tunes? Really? It wasn't bad enough that you've started talking to yourself, man. Now you're doing performing art.
But the musically inclined me had a point.
"Play it cool, boy," I whispered. "Real cool."
"What is teaching but the art of planting and nurturing power?"
"Names have tremendous power, Dresden. Yet mortals toss them left and right as though they were toys. It's like watching infants play with hand grenades sometimes." -Uriel
“Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden,” he said quietly – and he said it exactly right, speaking my Name in a voice of that same absolute power that had so unnerved me before. “Do not attempt to familiarize my name. The part you left off happens to be rather important to who and what I am.
“It is one thing for you to say ‘Let the world burn.’ It is another to say ‘Let Molly burn.’ The difference is all in the name.”

When an unknown someone shoots him and leaves him to die, Harry Dresden hopes he might be heading to a better place. Unfortunately being dead doesn't make Harry's life any easier.

Trapped between life and death, he learns that his friends are in serious trouble. Only by finding his murderer can he save them and move on - a feat that would be a lot easier if he had a body and access to his powers. Worse still are the malevolent shadows roaming Chicago that are controlled by a dark entity that wants Harry to suffer even in death.

Now the late Harry Dreseden will have to pull off the ultimate trick without using any magic - or face an eternity as just another lost soul...

"In his life, Harry's been shot, stabbed, sliced, beaten, burned, crushed, and tortured. And after someone puts a bullet through his chest and leaves him to die in the waters of Lake Michigan, things really start going downhill. But even trapped in the realm between life and death, Harry can't catch a break. He learns that three of his friends are destined to experience unbearable torment and agony. Only by bringing his murderer to justice can he save his friends and move on to what comes next--a feat that would be a lot easier if he had a body and access to his powers. Instead, Harry must work as a ghost, unable to interact with the physical world, invisible and inaudible to almost everyone. Unfortunately he's not the only specter roaming Chicago. There are malevolent shadows who haven't forgotten Harry's predilection for putting evil in its place while he was alive. And now that Harry's on their turf, they are looking for some serious payback. So the late Harry Dresden will have to pull off the ultimate trick without using any magic--or face an eternity as just another lost soul"--… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,735,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible