Echo (An Alex Benedict Novel) by Jack…

Echo (An Alex Benedict Novel) (edition 2010)

by Jack McDevitt

Title:Echo (An Alex Benedict Novel)
Authors:Jack McDevitt
Info:Ace Hardcover (2010), Edition: Book Club Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages

Echo by Jack McDevitt

This Alex Benedict book by Jack McDevitt had the potential to be great, like some of the others in the series, but I thought it fell well short of its potential and I finished it feeling somewhat disappointed.

In this book, a space explorer named Sunset Tuttle, who's been dead for some 30 years now, spent his whole life looking for aliens and by all accounts, never found any. But someone in his old house is giving away a tablet with markings on them which don't appear to be human. Antique dealer Alex Benedict and his assistant/pilot Chase Kolpath decide to look into it and so the mystery begins. And let me tell you, this book is darker than the previous books in the series. Some serious stuff happens that might make you dislike the protagonists as they continue their search. I had problems with them myself. Ultimately, they go in search of aliens themselves. Do they find any? You might be surprised at what they find. And you might feel let down by it. I was. It was underwhelming. At least McDevitt came up with new ways to try and get them killed in this book rather than using the old broken skimmer ploy of ALL of the previous books. That was refreshing. There have been wrongs committed in this book, but I didn't get to see the justice I wanted to see and that was disappointing. Frankly, this is a three star book I'm giving four stars to because it's original and it's well told. I'd give it a 3.5 if I could. Recommended if you're reading the series. ( )
  scottcholstad | Sep 1, 2015 |
Another solid entry in the Alex Benedict series. It strayed enough from the formula to keep me guessing til the end. ( )
  heradas | May 31, 2015 |
371 pages. Science fiction / mystery. Set in a future where travel to stars is normal but not common. Humanity has yet to find an alien race. An antique dealer finds an object that may be alien or maybe from a lost colony. The chase to find where it came from and why so many people are trying to stop him begins. This is a fun read. A good mystery. Worth reading.
  Cataloger623 | Nov 8, 2014 |
Jack McDevitt has become my favorite science fiction writer. I look forward to each book eagerly. "Echo" is another in the Alex Benedict series. I look forward to each adventure Alex and his assistant, Chase, begin. This time they are determined to find out if Sunset Tuttle actually found alien life. What they find may or may not be exactly what they hoped for. ( )
  kp9949 | Aug 17, 2014 |
Another excellent "Alex Benedict and Chase Kolpath" book from Jack McDevitt. This one seemed a little darker, a little more uncomfortable at times than previous outings with the antiquities brokers/adventurers. But that didn't affect my enjoyment of the story. It made the world, the characters all that more real.

As these characters grow older (which doesn't mean much in a future where most people live at least a couple of centuries), they are definitely experiencing character growth as well. Chase becomes uncomfortable with her seemingly stagnate unadventurous role as a glorified secretary/pilot and in dealing with the fallout of Alex's reputation in some fields. Though he is great at exposing mysteries and discovering answers, he's seen more as a looter or tomb robber - selling artifacts to the highest bidder.

Their investigations this time have some disasterous implications for some people, opening up a can of worms that they've tried to hide for 25 years. Chase and Alex struggle to make it right.

I love setting in these novels. Jack McDevitt tells the story (or Chase does) as if the reader is intimately familiar with the world(s), the technology, etc. And makes the reader feel right at home, come in, have a cup of coffee. It's always good to get back to this world.

If your a fan of the Alex Benedict novels, read it! If you've never read one, go start further back in the series and work your way to this one and get to know the characters before embarking on this adventure with them.

Echo was provided to me by the publisher for the purpose of review. Ace is awesome like that!

kevbayer | Jun 20, 2014 |

Jack McDevittprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441019242, Hardcover)

A new novel of the fantastic unknown by the national bestselling author of Time Travelers Never Die.

Eccentric Sunset Tuttle spent his life searching in vain for forms of alien life. Thirty years after his death, a stone tablet inscribed with cryptic, indecipherable symbols is found in the possession of Tuttle's onetime lover, and antiquities dealer Alex Benedict is anxious to discover what secret the tablet holds. It could be proof that Tuttle had found what he was looking for. To find out, Benedict and his assistant embark on their own voyage of discovery-one that will lead them directly into the path of a very determined assassin who doesn't want those secrets revealed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:28 -0400)

After 8000 years of star travel, humanity has found only one alien species. Alex Benedict may be on the path to finding another one, but an assassin has other ideas.

2 wanted3 pay6 pay

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 140011473X, 1452604878

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,802,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible