Echo (An Alex Benedict Novel) by Jack…

Echo (An Alex Benedict Novel) (edition 2010)

by Jack McDevitt

3341932,882 (3.59)15
Member:Karlstar
Title:Echo (An Alex Benedict Novel)
Authors:Jack McDevitt
Info:Ace Hardcover (2010), Edition: Book Club Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:SciFi

Echo by Jack McDevitt

Echo

(minor spoilers)

Echo gets a bit formulaic – find an artifact, find out who it belongs to, there’s more to it than Chase thinks, unusual death threats, surprise ending.

Echo is the first McDevitt novel that really had me gripping my Kindle and flipping my finger on the screen to find out what happens next.

A stone tablet with odd writing is found and the person who buys it, a former lover of Sam Tuttle, a man who has been looking for alien life so long that people think he’s nuts – messes with Alex and Chase.

This gal really messes with them! I mean, take the tablet with the odd writing and pretend to throw it away. Then say she destroyed it. Then do everything possible to dissuade Alex and Chase from further discovery.

And the tour company she used to fly interstellars for. Some pretty crazy stuff there too.

Are aliens found? What is the secret that drives this woman to homicide and becoming suicidal? Are there really aliens that are so far advanced of us that they’ll kill us? (Unlikely, Alex thinks).

There are times the story tends to drag, but overall not a bad story. We do find out about a planet, about the nearly destroyed civilization that dwells there, and a direct connection to this woman, to Tuttle and even to the tablet (sort of).

Recommended.

James_Mourgos | Dec 22, 2016 |
I really wanted to like this book but it never really got going for me. Nice plot twist though after far too long of a set up. He is a skilled writer though, so i am sure I'll try another one of his. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
I generally like McDevitt's writing and this was no exception. This is far more of a sleuthing/mystery story than hardcore sci-fi, which is basically the biggest reason for not giving it 4 stars. Good story if you want to read a mystery set against the back-drop of the future and space. ( )
  RalphLagana | Jan 23, 2016 |
This Alex Benedict book by Jack McDevitt had the potential to be great, like some of the others in the series, but I thought it fell well short of its potential and I finished it feeling somewhat disappointed.

In this book, a space explorer named Sunset Tuttle, who's been dead for some 30 years now, spent his whole life looking for aliens and by all accounts, never found any. But someone in his old house is giving away a tablet with markings on them which don't appear to be human. Antique dealer Alex Benedict and his assistant/pilot Chase Kolpath decide to look into it and so the mystery begins. And let me tell you, this book is darker than the previous books in the series. Some serious stuff happens that might make you dislike the protagonists as they continue their search. I had problems with them myself. Ultimately, they go in search of aliens themselves. Do they find any? You might be surprised at what they find. And you might feel let down by it. I was. It was underwhelming. At least McDevitt came up with new ways to try and get them killed in this book rather than using the old broken skimmer ploy of ALL of the previous books. That was refreshing. There have been wrongs committed in this book, but I didn't get to see the justice I wanted to see and that was disappointing. Frankly, this is a three star book I'm giving four stars to because it's original and it's well told. I'd give it a 3.5 if I could. Recommended if you're reading the series. ( )
  scottcholstad | Sep 1, 2015 |
Another solid entry in the Alex Benedict series. It strayed enough from the formula to keep me guessing til the end. ( )
  heradas | May 31, 2015 |

Jack McDevittprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441019242, Hardcover)

A new novel of the fantastic unknown by the national bestselling author of Time Travelers Never Die.

Eccentric Sunset Tuttle spent his life searching in vain for forms of alien life. Thirty years after his death, a stone tablet inscribed with cryptic, indecipherable symbols is found in the possession of Tuttle's onetime lover, and antiquities dealer Alex Benedict is anxious to discover what secret the tablet holds. It could be proof that Tuttle had found what he was looking for. To find out, Benedict and his assistant embark on their own voyage of discovery-one that will lead them directly into the path of a very determined assassin who doesn't want those secrets revealed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:28 -0400)

After 8000 years of star travel, humanity has found only one alien species. Alex Benedict may be on the path to finding another one, but an assassin has other ideas.

7 wanted4 pay6 pay

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 140011473X, 1452604878

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,624,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible