Zero by Kathryn Otoshi

Collections:K-2nd Grade Readers, Modern Fantasy, Picturebooks
Rating:*****
Tags:Math, Fun with Math, Number Sense, Value, Self Worth

Zero by Kathryn Otoshi

I just loved this. Beautiful painted illustrations and a wonderful message about learning your own value and working with others to maximize it. ( )
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
The entire series is great for students to learn about inclusion and appreciating others. Great story for expressing feelings. Also a great book for students who are learning numbers. It shows the shapes of numbers and counting together.
  KyleeO | Nov 30, 2015 |
I love reading this book to my students because it emphasizes counting skills, and number sense. Moreover,it teaches young and very impressionable readers the importance of friendship, and finding value in oneself. I love having this book on my pre-k shelf, and I suggest it to anyone that wants something more than just a counting book. ( )
  kberryman44 | Dec 6, 2014 |
Zero is sad because he's not counted from 1-9. He feels empty and lonely, until he gets the idea that all the numbers could work together. They then realize they can count to bigger numbers.
I like this book because it shows how you can think outside the box and how it's good to work together to make everyone included.
  Y-NhiVu | Oct 2, 2014 |
This book shows the importance of the number 0 and how isolated she feels because she isn't like the other numbers that have value. It was fun how the number tried to bend and reshape herself to be like other numbers. It feels almost like this book is telling more than a story of numbers, it's telling a story about identity. It was cute, and could be used in other context besides math.
  pyattlori | Dec 7, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 097239463X, Hardcover)

Zero is a big round number. When she looks at herself, she just sees a hole right in her center. Every day she watches the other numbers line up to count: "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 . . . !" "Those numbers have value. That's why they count," she thinks. But how could a number worth nothing become something? Zero feels empty inside. She watches One having fun with the other numbers. One has bold strokes and squared corners. Zero is big and round with no corners at all. "If I were like One, then I can count too," she thinks. So she pushes and pulls, stretches and straightens, forces and flattens herself, but in the end she realizes that she can only be Zero. As budding young readers learn about numbers and counting, they are also introduced to accepting different body types, developing social skills and character, and learning what it means to find value in yourself and in others.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:46 -0400)

Zero, dismayed by her big, empty, roundness, tries to force herself into the shape of the much-admired One, but must finally accept that she can only be Zero.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,588,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible