Zero by Kathryn Otoshi

Collections:K-2nd Grade Readers, Modern Fantasy, Picturebooks
Rating:*****
Tags:Math, Fun with Math, Number Sense, Value, Self Worth

Zero by Kathryn Otoshi

This book shows the importance of the number 0 and how isolated she feels because she isn't like the other numbers that have value. It was fun how the number tried to bend and reshape herself to be like other numbers. It feels almost like this book is telling more than a story of numbers, it's telling a story about identity. It was cute, and could be used in other context besides math.
  pyattlori | Dec 7, 2013 |
My first thought when reading through this book was that it could have been a set of sketches for [a:Otoshi's|371199|Kathryn Otoshi|http://www.goodreads.com/assets/nophoto/nophoto-U-50x66-251a730d696018971ef4a443cdeaae05.jpg] fabulous [b:One|3118349|One|Kathryn Otoshi|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328765629s/3118349.jpg|3149675], so much did it consist of the same ideas recycled, both the philosophical ideas and the graphic design ideas. So, I kind of assumed that Otoshi had toyed around with these ideas a bit in [b:Zero|7896615|Zero|Kathryn Otoshi|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328765628s/7896615.jpg|11138719] before they finally culminated in [b:One|3118349|One|Kathryn Otoshi|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328765629s/3118349.jpg|3149675]. I don't know why I therefore felt a little let down by this book once I realized that [b:One|3118349|One|Kathryn Otoshi|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328765629s/3118349.jpg|3149675] actually came first. As a sequel, [b:Zero|7896615|Zero|Kathryn Otoshi|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328765628s/7896615.jpg|11138719] is just not as good. For one, it's not original anymore, the story doesn't come together as well, it doesn't have the same poignancy, the same feeling of urgency and the same "oomph!" as the sister book had when the One of [b:One|3118349|One|Kathryn Otoshi|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328765629s/3118349.jpg|3149675] stepped up and said "NO!". Also, the pages don't have the crispness of the first, when displaying the feelings and the hotness of Red, the coolness of Blue. So, there you have it, I can't really describe where I feel this book is lacking without reviewing the original: [b:One|3118349|One|Kathryn Otoshi|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328765629s/3118349.jpg|3149675].

It's still a very interesting book, and way above average, which is why I will rate it 4 stars rather than 3. I just thought it never really took off the way One did, I wasn't mesmerized in the same way. My favorite part (and also graphically the best page, if the rest are mostly rehashes of the previous book) is the page where Zero "saw herself in a new light." "I'm not empty inside. I'm open!", she said, brilliantly displayed on a sudden black background ... ( )
  Fjola | Oct 17, 2013 |
I liked Otoshi's One better, but this is also a wonderful fable about the need for acceptance and belonging. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
This is a great picture book exploring more than numbers and words. It provides greater understanding for fitting in and what it means. A wonderful book for kindergartners or first graders and would fit in nicely to a character building lesson. ( )
  ColorBound | Dec 15, 2012 |
Aside from teaching about the mathematical value of numbers, it also teaches children that everyone has the ability, and willingness, to contribute something of value to society in their own unique way. Zero learns that when he is put behind another number, he multiplies that number’s value by 10. He also learns that he is nothing without the other numbers. ( )
  j-plant | Dec 12, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 097239463X, Hardcover)

Zero is a big round number. When she looks at herself, she just sees a hole right in her center. Every day she watches the other numbers line up to count: "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 . . . !" "Those numbers have value. That's why they count," she thinks. But how could a number worth nothing become something? Zero feels empty inside. She watches One having fun with the other numbers. One has bold strokes and squared corners. Zero is big and round with no corners at all. "If I were like One, then I can count too," she thinks. So she pushes and pulls, stretches and straightens, forces and flattens herself, but in the end she realizes that she can only be Zero. As budding young readers learn about numbers and counting, they are also introduced to accepting different body types, developing social skills and character, and learning what it means to find value in yourself and in others.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:37 -0400)

Zero, dismayed by her big, empty, roundness, tries to force herself into the shape of the much-admired One, but must finally accept that she can only be Zero.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,467,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible