Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Wood Wife by Terri Windling

The Wood Wife (1996)

by Terri Windling

Series: Brian Froud's Faerielands

American Gods by Neil Gaiman (Larkken)
    Child of a Rainless Year by Jane Lindskold (kmaziarz, Sakerfalcon)
    kmaziarz: Both feature a woman coming to the desert and finding magic waiting for her there.
    Sakerfalcon: Older heroines who move to the Southwestern USA and discover secrets and magic. Both books evoke the landscape and its legends beautifully.
    The Owl Service by Alan Garner (gwernin)
    Territory by Emma Bull (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: both set in SW, involve magical realism
    Fifth Life of the Cat Woman by Kathleen Dexter (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: Both treat the natural world as alive and intellignet. Both have a female protagonist living in rural Southwest US.
    Tam Lin by Pamela Dean (gwernin)

I'm not sure I can really review this book. I mentioned in an update that I want to crawl in and live in this story - that pretty much is all I know how to say about it. I need to own a copy of this book, and it will become a frequent re-read. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
A solid piece of storytelling and a pleasant entertaining read. Moments better than that, and moments (especially dialogue) that is a bit clunky, but I can't really complain as I did read it right through and was enjoying it. It's an interesting "take" on the urban/contemp type fantasy pioneered, really, by Charles de Lint, I think: the spirit world, faerie, or whatever you want to call it, interfacing with ours--some folks, especially those of the artistic musical literary bent finding it not that mysterious or threatening either. In this one the spirits are there, in this valley in the Rincon mountains of Arizona (near Tucson) but take on their form from the humans in their midst, and that can be good or bad depending on what is in your head. There's romance and danger and lots of poetry. ***1/2 ( )
  sibyx | May 2, 2017 |
It's rare that I read a fantasy novel. I just moved to Utah from New York and I was hoping this book would help give me a feel for the desert. Bingo! Perfect! The unfolding of the story works very nicely, pulling the reader gradually into a world of spirits and spiral time etc. Lots of coyotes! With poets and painters! ( )
  kukulaj | Mar 30, 2017 |
I loved this book! I read it a few months ago and it is still stuck with me. I now want to move to the desert after reading this :)
There were a lot of twists and turns and the story line had you on your toes. I loved all of the characters! I think a good artists should make a series based off of these books! Also it would make a great movie! ( )
  XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |
Winner of the Mythopoeic Award.

I really wish I hadn't read this so close to Charles DeLint's 'Memory and Dream'. It was written two years later (in 1996), and DeLint did a blurb for it, so I suppose he deserves credit - but the theme of this story is extremely similar. Both novels deal with the concept of creatures/spirits of myth and legend being given physical form through the work of contemporary artists - and the emotional angst and physical danger that this power can lead to.
However, I liked this book a lot better - I am really a huge fan of Terri Windling in general, and I liked the characters, the setting, and just felt that it flowed really well...

Maggie Black, a sophisticated, successful writer, is unexpectedly named in the will of a famous poet that she had enjoyed a long correspondence with, but never met. Having inherited his house and papers, although this is rendered bittersweet by the fact that the poet appears to have been murdered under mysterious circumstances, she goes to her new property in rural Arizona with the hopes of writing a biography of the man.
In the Sonoran desert, she finds more than she bargained for, not only in the culture shock of the Southwest and the unexpected attraction of a young man she meets there... but going through the poet's papers, she discovers fascinating information about the poet's late wife, the mystical painter Anna Naverra, and begins to uncover a web of secrets. But more than family drama may be involved, as strange visitations and unexplainable phenomena begin to occur...

Originally written as part of a project in tribute to Brian Froud, one might feel that his artwork is mentioned a few too many times... but that's a very minor point in a very enjoyable story... ( )
1 vote AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

Terri Windlingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Froud, BrianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Who wants to understand the poem
Must go to the land of poetry.
—Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
The Wood Wife is for
Brian, Wendy, and Toby Froud,
with love.

And in memory of Herbert Emil Rasmussen
(1916-1994), who is greatly missed.
On the night that Davis Cooper died, coyotes came down from the hills to the town in the desert valley below.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0765302934, Paperback)

Journalist and ex-poet Maggie Black has inherited the estate of Pulitzer Prize-winning poet Davis Cooper, with whom she corresponded for years, but never met. Maggie is a cosmopolitan woman of the West Coast and Europe, and a child of the Appalachian mountains; she has no interest in the desert. She has an ex-husband she still loves in L.A. And Davis Cooper drowned in the Arizona desert, the victim of a mysterious murder. Maggie has many reasons to stay away. Yet she moves to Cooper's desert home, seeking to unravel the secrets of Cooper and his late lover, the mad painter Anna Naverra. But these, Maggie will discover, are not the desert's only mysteries. Ancient powers are stirring--enigmatic and dangerous spirits that would use humans for their own purposes.

Terri Windling is the most important and influential fantasy editor of the 1980s and 1990s: Her many accomplishments include editing (and often discovering) a pantheon of fantasy gods--Steven Brust, Emma Bull, Charles de Lint, Jane Yolen, and many more. She edits, with Ellen Datlow, the indispensible annual Year's Best Fantasy and Horror and the acclaimed revisionist fairy-tale anthology series that began with Snow White, Blood Red. She has won the World Fantasy Award five times. So it's not too surprising that her first novel, The Wood Wife, is well written, fascinating, insightful, and the winner of the 1997 Mythopoeic Award for Best Novel. --Cynthia Ward

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:06 -0400)

A woman writer moves into a house she inherited from a poet in the hills of Arizona. The man died in mysterious circumstances and Maggie Black wants to find out why. So begins a terrifying introduction to the Indian spirits which roam the hills and feed on people's creative juices.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,490,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible