The house with a clock in its walls by John…

The house with a clock in its walls (original 1973; edition 1993)

by John Bellairs

Series: Lewis Barnavelt (1)

1,855616,381 (3.97)1 / 79
A boy goes to live with his magician uncle in a mansion that has a clock hidden in the walls which is ticking off the minutes until doomsday.
Member:violistpm
Title:The house with a clock in its walls
Authors:John Bellairs
Info:New York : Puffin Books, 1993.
Collections:Children's books, Your library

The House with a Clock in Its Walls by John Bellairs (1973)

It's a fun book, obviously aimed at younger readers than myself. But, it's a bit of a classic I didn't get to when I was in the target age range, so I figured I might as well check it out. A relatively simple story is involved, and not too scary, as one might expect. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Sep 17, 2020 |
I love dark gothic tale for kids, some may think the only scary books out there for kids is Goosebumps. That is why I collect ghost stories that are appropriate for children. Goosebumps are not all bad just, afore a few books they get boring.

The House with a clock in it walls hold it creepiness quit well. Jonathan and Mrs. Zimmermann have a strong friendship bond. You can tell they been friends for a long time with every little joke and fight they have. I never like Tarby and what he did to Lewis. Being nice to someone and then hating them can miss up a person trust towards others.

I wish there could be more to the story especially with the magic and more action with the fight at the end. ( )
  AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |

AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
A chubby, awkward kid that likes to read, and uses what he learns from books to triumph over evil. ( )
  LynnK. | Aug 4, 2020 |

John Bellairsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gorey, EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Priscilla, who lets me be myself
Lewis Barnavelt fidgeted and wiped his sweaty palms on the seat of the bus that was roaring toward New Zebedee.
This is the book.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,765,617 books! | Top bar: Always visible