Pale Demon (The Hollows, Book 9) by Kim…

Pale Demon (The Hollows, Book 9) (edition 2011)

by Kim Harrison

1,053None7,977 (4.3)26
Member:steph8787
Title:Pale Demon (The Hollows, Book 9)
Authors:Kim Harrison
Info:Harper Voyager (2011), Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages
Collections:Already Finished
Rating:*****

Pale Demon by Kim Harrison

2011 (21) demons (44) ebook (20) elves (16) fairies (7) fantasy (72) fiction (61) hardcover (9) Hollows (13) horror (8) Kim Harrison (11) Kindle (19) library (7) magic (20) paranormal (38) paranormal romance (17) pixies (21) Rachel Morgan (30) read (12) read in 2011 (7) romance (9) series (13) sff (7) supernatural (11) The Hollows (36) to-read (23) urban fantasy (98) vampires (57) werewolves (15) witches (64)
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Joybee)
    Joybee: Main character is a witch. Also has vampires and demons and romance.

ROAD TRIP! Pack your bags and fasten your seat belts, it's gonna get freaky! Pale Demon by Kim Harrison is the 9th book in The Hollows series. It has all the charm, action, fun, and snarkiness that all the other books in the series have.

With everyone stuck in a car together, there's a lot of interaction between the ones making the trip - Rachel, Ivy, Trent, and Jenks. Although with ley line jumping, plenty of other characters get in the mix. They may even pick up a hitchhiker or two. The intense forced closeness of a car journey brought out a lot of bickering, but also some surprise revelations about the characters. They couldn't help but do a bit of bonding.

The story is full of demons, pixy dust, and Rachel's trademark experimental magic. In my opinion, this book is better than the last. Kim Harrison never disappoints! ( )
  NCRainstorm | Mar 17, 2014 |
I have to say this is probably my favorite of the series. I haven't been a fan of Ivy & Rachel in the past but I found their big scenes in this one to be very emotional. So much is revealed about Trent, Rachel and the demons (most importantly the demonesses). It did start out a little slow but once the revelations stated coming, and the plot really picked up, it kept the pace up until the end. It's hard to say a series reaches a turning point after 9 books but for me the end of this one definitely represents a potential turning point in the series. Both for Rachel and for many other characters. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
One of the things I have grown to love about Rachel Morgan through all of these nine books is her constant positive and hopeful perspective with others, despite how contrary their behavior. Though her friends and partners are telling her in so many ways that the rulers of her kind, the witches' council, will never let her make it to the coast and are more interested in killing her than anything else, she won't believe it until she sees for herself. And then there is her odds-defying ability to always find a way to survive against all attacks - she truly has become one of a kind, as is revealed in several ways in this book, with her match-up against the just-released demon creation that is her genetic match, as well as the sad speech that Ivy gives her about how Rachel is leaving her and Jenks behind with the way she can create change across all species.
And if that is not enough to keep her busy, Rachel's love life only becomes more complicated, since Pierce has professed his love for her in the previous book, and Rachel feels a certain obligation to him. Of course, Al continues to pursue Rachel despite her refusals, and one violent-turned-steamy moment showed the kind of lust-filled potential that exists between them. Towards the end of the book, Rachel also makes a rather interesting observation about demons in general that could put Al in the potential category for future books. If two men is not enough to keep her busy, a very obvious growing attraction between her and Trent seems to show the most promise, and is ironically the one I found myself most rooting for, especially with some of the scenes in the book.
Trent's part in the book is an elf quest of sorts that he is particularly silent about, but gets him in all kinds of trouble and just creates more work for Rachel and crew. Of course, the outcome of this quest makes Trent more likable in the end, but he has to do much to prove himself to Rachel. The newest element to the series in this book was the use of wild magic by the elves, which has an untamed, old world quality that Rachel dislikes immensely. Trent wields it well, though often secretly and against Rachel's wishes.
In the end, the revelations that Rachel undergoes regarding herself and the people around her mark a major turning point for her and the series. I only wish I knew when the next book was due for release! ( )
  JacobsBeloved | Nov 25, 2013 |
I’ve been a fan of The Hollows since I found Dead Witch Walking on a bookstore shelf in Cincinnati shortly after its release and picked it up, delighted that I’d found a story set in my own hometown. I fell in love with Rachel’s fiery temper, Ivy’s stoic vampire glamor, and Jenks’ fierce disrespect for everything. The series has had its ups and downs. When a certain cast member died, my heart broke (we’ve lost two and this statement is equally true for them both). Rachel as a character has a history of bad choices. Some of those have made me furious (namely, Black Magic Sanction), others I’ve been less upset with but they made me wonder if the story was going in the right direction. I’ve remained steadfast, however, picking up every book each year as they are released (shortly before my birthday – the perfect gift!), and I’m thrilled to say that the ride was so definitely worth it.

Pale Demon is the most thrilling book we’ve seen since A Fistful of Charms — and is also the absolute best in the series. We finally get a full look at life in the ever after! The stakes are the highest they’ve ever been: Rachel stands to lose what little standing she has left in the witch community, her church, her friends, her freedom, her magic, and quite probably her life. She finds a surprising ally in her nemesis, Trent Kalamack — but Trent also makes it clear that he has his own agenda in going to the West Coast. Rachel somehow has to travel by car to California, get her shunning revoked, protect Trent from a gang of elven baddies, and — oh, yeah — defeat a suddenly-released day-walking demon that has every resident of the ever after shaking in their boots.

Yes, we have here the classic story-making trope of taking the crew on that oldie-but-goody “the cross-country road trip”. But there’s nothing old or tired about the story we’re getting. I’d have read this straight through if I could have, and when I finished I wanted to pick it up and read it all over again. I may have gotten an advanced galley from NetGalley but this won’t stop me in the least from making sure the hardcover is pre-ordered so that I can devour it once more on the release date.

Kim Harrison is a master storyteller, one who knows her craft very well. Check out her website sometime, her writing posts are of a phenomenal help to aspiring writers. I have never picked up a book by Kim (or her alter-ego, Dawn Cook) that I haven’t enjoyed tremendously. Her young adult series is also a wonderful tale to read — even for adults.

If you’re not reading this series, then you are simply missing out. ( )
  kiaras | Oct 22, 2013 |
Synopsis: Rachel Morgan, shunned black witch/demon fancier, has three days to get to the coven meeting in San Francisco to have her shunning removed. This sounds easy, but although no one is trying to kill her (at least they are not supposed to be), she is blocked from airline travel. Trent must also get to the coast, but he must be in Seattle in the same time period. Together, along with Jenks, Ivy, and assorted good guys and villains, they make the trip in Rachel’s mom’s car. Of course, nothing goes as planned ~ typical road trip.
Review: Kim Harrison’s books just keep getting better. The characters are evolving, as are the situations in which they must perform. There are no easy answers to problems and the outcomes set the stage for more complicated and unusual tales to follow. ( )
  DrLed | Oct 14, 2013 |

Kim Harrisonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lamatsch, VanessaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thornton, KateAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the guy who knows how I take my tea
"Brown or green for the drapes, Rache?".

Condemned to death for practicing witchcraft, bounty hunter Rachel Morgan is given three days to clear her name and get to the annual witches' convention in San Francisco, an effort that forces her to endure a cross-country drive with a motley crew of supernatural companions.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Pale Demon by Kim Harrison was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,414,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible