Children of Scarabaeus by Sara Creasy

Children of Scarabaeus

by Sara Creasy

Sara Creasy ends a book so well that you just want to dive into another. This was a really fast, enjoyable read. I'm very happy to know the end of the story for Edie and Finn, and will be eagerly watching for Sara's next book. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
There are some intriguing potentials with this book and the first one in the series... but they are larely lost in a one-note plot that tries to keep up tension by doing the same thing over and over again/

Edie can be manipulated by threats to Finn. Fine. But when basically the entire plot has her being pressured into cooperating with her enemies because of the same damn threat over and over again... well, it starts to lack the tension necessary to make it interesting. I say "This yet again???"

The political set-up of the universe is potentially interesting and plausible. However- as in the first volume- the "tecjh" just doesn't feel plausible to me. Not even as plausible as a good thoughtfully based magical system. There's lots of buzzwords, carefully unexplained, and I did not see any hard-and-fast rules that would make a deus ex machina impossible; rather the opposite. Throwing jargon at something and calling it "tech" does not really work when it's not well-thought-out and lacks an underlying consistency and plausibility.

Also, the characterization is lacking. Everyone is a cliche. Edie is a doormat- OK, there's reasons why, but still. Finn is a cipher. And the rest are yet less vividly drawn; they exists mostly as plot elements.

I read this because I do think the idea of an awakened sentient ecosystem- "Mother Nature" as it were- is fascinating. I wish Creasy had opened her vision wider and explored more there... or even explored more about Edie NOT being a victim of all and sundry. There were various points where she could have used her skills to upend things... but she did not and remained a doormat.

I was disappointed. ( )
  cissa | Apr 16, 2014 |
In this sequel to Song of Scarabaeus, Edie has discovered a way to save the Fringe planets from the Crib’s oppressive rule. She and Finn, now fugitives, are on their way to the Fringe to implement their strategy when they are captured once again by the Crib. Edie’s former mentor, Natesa, wants her help in terraforming uninhabited planets so that they can become a source of food and other resources for the galaxy. However, Edie soon perceives that Natesa’s plan isn’t working; in fact, her team’s technique for speeding up the terraforming process is rapidly turning the target planets into sludge. Now Edie must find a way to stop Natesa’s program and essentially save the galaxy, all while trying to create a new life for herself with Finn.

As with book one in this series, there’s a lot more going on in this installment than I was able to explain in a one-paragraph summary. This book basically picks up where the previous one left off, and anyone interested in the premise should definitely backtrack and read Song of Scarabaeus first. I think I enjoyed this book even more than the first, mainly because I was more familiar with the complex world of the series. I also enjoyed reading about the development of Edie and Finn’s relationship, although the romance is definitely secondary to the various story lines. In fact, my biggest problem with the book is that there’s too much going on. I had trouble keeping the minor characters straight, and many of them could easily have been left out. My other quibble is that, while the book ends satisfactorily, I’d love to see where Edie and Finn are headed next – but I’m not sure there’s going to be a third book! If Creasy writes one, I’ll definitely check it out.
  christina_reads | May 23, 2012 |
Maybe I just had high expectations because the first book was so great, but I found this one pretty lacking. It was very slow getting into it, it took me days to read the first 100 pages, and I actually nodded off a couple times reading it. Not a good sign.I felt the tech speak was a bit too much in this one, I'm not a skimmer, so when I start skimming, I know it's TMI.I think so much of my disappointment in this book has to do with the characters. I expected to learn a lot more about them, personally and emotionally, but no such luck. Edie would show a teensy smidgey iota of romantic angst, and then just go back to the old song and dance about how she is so sick of being used, and she just wants her own life. And poor Finn--I want to like the man, I really do. Again, throughout this entire book, no matter that he's obviously majorly skilled and an ass kicker to boot, he's still used as a disposable pawn to keep Edie in line. I wanted to learn more about him, I figured we were given the silent, stoic, full of secrets Finn in the 1st book, and we'd get to see a bit into his mind & maybe his soul in this book. But nope--Finn just seemed like a cyborg throughout the book. I'm a big fan of stoic, but this isn't stoic, it's robotic. And the much awaited sex scene was, no pun intended, anti-climactic. For all the shit that these two have been through together, for all the drama and life-threatening situations that have forged a bond between them, is it asking too much to see a bit of soul? I guess we were just supposed to be content with the fact that Finn still stuck around even after the leash bomb was disabled. Ooooh, how romantic. And it's not even that I'm a huge romance novel fan, cause I'm not. But when characters bond and form such a strong attraction and loyalty to each other, I need more than actions. Yes, even if they do speak louder than words. So, not a horrible book, but a disappointing, lackluster sequel. ( )
  LauraLulu | Jun 17, 2011 |
Edie and Finn are trying to steal enough neurotoxin for Edie to stay alive, while they are in hiding from the Crib. After that the plan is to get to the fringe worlds and help free them. Unfortunately the get caught and Edie is forced to work with the Crib so that they won't kill Finn. The project she is assigned to work on is based on the biology of Scarabaeus, the world Edie modified.

I don't have a whole lot to say about this series. I felt they leaned more toward hard sci-fi, which is not what I normally read. There were plenty of technical and scientific explanations. It made for a denser read. Ultimately, I didn't really connect with the stories, but that may have just been because of the style.

This story feels much like the original, in style and pacing. It’s better to read these back to back because many pieces from SoS come into play in this one. I read SoS and then had to wait a year for this one to come out and I was a little hazy on some of the details. All the loose ends get resolved nicely and even some ends I didn’t realize were loose. All in all a solid ending to this story. ( )
  readr | May 17, 2011 |

"Edie Sha'nim believes she and her bodyguard lover, Finn, could find refuge from the tyranny of the Crib empire by fleeing to the Fringe worlds. But Edie's extraordinary cypherteck ability to manipulate the ecology of evolving planets makes her far too valuable for the empire to lose. Recaptured and forced to cooperate--or else she will watch Finn die--Edia is shocked to discover the Crib's new breed of cypherteck: children. She cannot stand by while the oppressors enslave the innocent, nor can she resist the lure of Scarabaeus, the first world she tried to save, when researchers discover what appears to be an evolving intelligenge. But escape--for Edie, for Finn, and for the exploited young--will require the ultimate sacrifice...and a shocking act of rebellion."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,465,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible