Children of Scarabaeus by Sara Creasy

Children of Scarabaeus

by Sara Creasy

75None159,393 (3.89)4
Recently added bykaryanca, private library, ChristinaRegina, leesalogic, bertha96, Amoonsiong, LaCello

In this sequel to Song of Scarabaeus, Edie has discovered a way to save the Fringe planets from the Crib’s oppressive rule. She and Finn, now fugitives, are on their way to the Fringe to implement their strategy when they are captured once again by the Crib. Edie’s former mentor, Natesa, wants her help in terraforming uninhabited planets so that they can become a source of food and other resources for the galaxy. However, Edie soon perceives that Natesa’s plan isn’t working; in fact, her team’s technique for speeding up the terraforming process is rapidly turning the target planets into sludge. Now Edie must find a way to stop Natesa’s program and essentially save the galaxy, all while trying to create a new life for herself with Finn.

As with book one in this series, there’s a lot more going on in this installment than I was able to explain in a one-paragraph summary. This book basically picks up where the previous one left off, and anyone interested in the premise should definitely backtrack and read Song of Scarabaeus first. I think I enjoyed this book even more than the first, mainly because I was more familiar with the complex world of the series. I also enjoyed reading about the development of Edie and Finn’s relationship, although the romance is definitely secondary to the various story lines. In fact, my biggest problem with the book is that there’s too much going on. I had trouble keeping the minor characters straight, and many of them could easily have been left out. My other quibble is that, while the book ends satisfactorily, I’d love to see where Edie and Finn are headed next – but I’m not sure there’s going to be a third book! If Creasy writes one, I’ll definitely check it out.
  christina_reads | May 23, 2012 |
Maybe I just had high expectations because the first book was so great, but I found this one pretty lacking. It was very slow getting into it, it took me days to read the first 100 pages, and I actually nodded off a couple times reading it. Not a good sign.I felt the tech speak was a bit too much in this one, I'm not a skimmer, so when I start skimming, I know it's TMI.I think so much of my disappointment in this book has to do with the characters. I expected to learn a lot more about them, personally and emotionally, but no such luck. Edie would show a teensy smidgey iota of romantic angst, and then just go back to the old song and dance about how she is so sick of being used, and she just wants her own life. And poor Finn--I want to like the man, I really do. Again, throughout this entire book, no matter that he's obviously majorly skilled and an ass kicker to boot, he's still used as a disposable pawn to keep Edie in line. I wanted to learn more about him, I figured we were given the silent, stoic, full of secrets Finn in the 1st book, and we'd get to see a bit into his mind & maybe his soul in this book. But nope--Finn just seemed like a cyborg throughout the book. I'm a big fan of stoic, but this isn't stoic, it's robotic. And the much awaited sex scene was, no pun intended, anti-climactic. For all the shit that these two have been through together, for all the drama and life-threatening situations that have forged a bond between them, is it asking too much to see a bit of soul? I guess we were just supposed to be content with the fact that Finn still stuck around even after the leash bomb was disabled. Ooooh, how romantic. And it's not even that I'm a huge romance novel fan, cause I'm not. But when characters bond and form such a strong attraction and loyalty to each other, I need more than actions. Yes, even if they do speak louder than words. So, not a horrible book, but a disappointing, lackluster sequel. ( )
  LauraLulu | Jun 17, 2011 |
Edie and Finn are trying to steal enough neurotoxin for Edie to stay alive, while they are in hiding from the Crib. After that the plan is to get to the fringe worlds and help free them. Unfortunately the get caught and Edie is forced to work with the Crib so that they won't kill Finn. The project she is assigned to work on is based on the biology of Scarabaeus, the world Edie modified.

I don't have a whole lot to say about this series. I felt they leaned more toward hard sci-fi, which is not what I normally read. There were plenty of technical and scientific explanations. It made for a denser read. Ultimately, I didn't really connect with the stories, but that may have just been because of the style.

This story feels much like the original, in style and pacing. It’s better to read these back to back because many pieces from SoS come into play in this one. I read SoS and then had to wait a year for this one to come out and I was a little hazy on some of the details. All the loose ends get resolved nicely and even some ends I didn’t realize were loose. All in all a solid ending to this story. ( )
  readr | May 17, 2011 |
You may also read my review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2011/03/release-day-review-children-of.html

*Please note: My review is relatively spoiler free, but assumes you've read Song of Scarabaeus. It might be a bit confusing if you haven't:)

Children of Scarabaeus picks up a week after Song of Scarabaeus, with Edie slowly withering away, her body deprived of the drug she needs to stay alive: Neuroxin, distilled from the native plantlife of her homeworld, Talas. If Edie dies, so will Finn, as the chip inside of his head that links them explodes. Aided by Cat Lancer, pilot and ally, she and Finn are on the run from the Crib, who wants Edie back at any cost. They plan to fly to the Fringe, and use the cryptoglyph Finn is carrying in his head to help liberate the Fringe worlds from their reliance on Crib technology.

The trio hitches a ride on a ship filled with migrant workers in cryosleep, waiting to be awakened when someone needs their particular skill. Edie is understandably terrified at the idea of being put into cryosleep for an indefinite period, but Cat sets the timer for 15 months, and Edie creates bios and skillsets for them so that they might be awakened earlier. Unfortunately, the Crib finds Edie, and 13 months after going into cryosleep, she finds herself on a Crib vessel, at the mercy of Natesa, the woman that can force her to use her skills to further the plans of the Crib and systematically turn ecosystems across the universe into the “Terran ideal”. Edie discovers that Natesa is training a new batch of children to see “an ecosystem in flux as damaged, and the Terran ideal as the cure,” and when she realizes that they aren’t afraid to use the children for more nefarious means, the stakes all of a sudden become much, much higher.

I adored Sara Creasy’s first novel, Song of Scarabaeus, and was more than eager to revisit Edie and Finn’s universe. Children of Scarabaeus is just as good, and I think I liked it even more than the first! The passion between Edie and Finn burns through the pages, and the frustration they feel as the mental leash keeps them from consummating their relationship is palpable. I rooted for Edie and Finn from the start, and Finn’s need to protect Edie, as well as her desperation to keep him close to her and safe makes everything they go through that much more urgent. When Natesa finds the infojack that created the leash and is ordered to cut it, Edie is terrified this could kill Finn, not to mention the thought that he might choose to leave her behind. The real shocker comes when Edie learns of widespread famine in the Central world, and the project that she’s assigned to is designed to prop up these worlds for a limited amount of time, after which the ecosystems will completely fail. How can Edie possibly stop this from happening, without killing herself and her friends in the process?

I love the science and world building in these novels. When Edie jacks into the datastream, the pathways of an ecosystem are like “music”, and you can almost visualize the zipping, soaring colors as Edie works her magic. The author’s descriptives are also so good that a relative sci-fi newbie (like me) can easily keep up with the narrative without feeling out of the loop. I’ve had this happen before with “hard” sci-fi, and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Not that there’s anything wrong with the genre, but I ended up concentrating so hard on trying to understand a fraction of the science that I couldn’t enjoy the story. Not so with Sara Creasy’s work. And the story is the best thing about these books. Wonderful character development, a lush, fleshed out environment, suspense, romance, and a multi-layered storyline makes for great reading! Sara Creasy is an auto-buy for me, and I’ll look forward to getting my hands on her next book! ( )
  MyBookishWays | Mar 29, 2011 |

"Edie Sha'nim believes she and her bodyguard lover, Finn, could find refuge from the tyranny of the Crib empire by fleeing to the Fringe worlds. But Edie's extraordinary cypherteck ability to manipulate the ecology of evolving planets makes her far too valuable for the empire to lose. Recaptured and forced to cooperate--or else she will watch Finn die--Edia is shocked to discover the Crib's new breed of cypherteck: children. She cannot stand by while the oppressors enslave the innocent, nor can she resist the lure of Scarabaeus, the first world she tried to save, when researchers discover what appears to be an evolving intelligenge. But escape--for Edie, for Finn, and for the exploited young--will require the ultimate sacrifice...and a shocking act of rebellion."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,411,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible