Flutter by Amanda Hocking
2201252,892 (3.98)4

Somehow, my view of this book/series just took a nose dive. I still believe that Hocking is a very talented writer, she has some great thoughts and the premise behind this story is very good - something different from the standard girl meets vampire story. THAT I like very much.

But, maybe I'm just a fair weather friend, because when something happens in the story that I don't like, I lose interest. Mae is really starting to bother me. She seemed like the mother that Alice never had and now? She's gone off the deep end. I'm not saying that people don't just SNAP and suddenly change their whole behavior and attitude, but Mae's behavior is just so out of character (at least the character that Hocking created in the first two novels). Mae simply seems to have lost interest in Alice and almost can't stand to be near her. What's with that? I know she's devastated by losing that last remains of her living family and I can understand how she would be distraught, but something just seems off about her character and makes me feel like it is not believable anymore.

Also, I just don't get why Peter is so totally in love with Alice. He hasn't spoken two words to her. If it's related to the 'bond' that they shared, then why was he getting so upset with Alice for only liking him because she 'had to' not because she actually wanted to like him - isn't that the same thing he's doing with Alice? Because he can't possibly be in love with her because he wants to - he doesn't know her yet. He's such a hypocrite!

Okay, I don't want to sound like this book is all bad - it's not. I enjoyed it a lot. I like the story line, the idea that there can be a bond and what happens when personal desire is in conflict with that animalistic love that is created with the vampire bond. Also, the idea that sometimes we make choices that we can't explain (like when Alice kisses Peter or when Mae accidentally killed Jack and didn't ever tell him the truth until much later). These all make for tension and interest and make the story exciting!

Also, I've enjoyed getting to know Bobby more and more and Milo seems to be coming to terms with himself as a vampire and as someone who is gay. I like Ezra's character too. He's a firm individual who stands up for what he believes but does so as lovingly as he can.

I will read the final book in this set, but only after I read the third book in Hocking's Trylle Trilogy - which I've been patiently awaiting. I really enjoy that series too - probably more. ( )
  mlh2 | Aug 7, 2013 |
hmmm, the series has been progressively focusing on the more sexual aspects of the relationships of the characters. i found myself drifting out of interest for the most part. however, i did enjoy the parts that included some vampire fighting action. :] that part was written well enough that i almost lost my appetite for dinner right after reading it. lol so for those parts, i give this 3 stars, but i hope the fourth one is... less sexy? lol ( )
  JessiJames | Apr 2, 2013 |
I am still enjoying this series and it is moving along in a different direction that the other series I feel it was similar to in the beginning. Action packed and adventurous with some romance and intrigue. ( )
  MonicaLynn | Dec 15, 2012 |
This was a fantastic follow on from Fate & another awesome book by Amanda Hocking.

This continues to follow a love triangle with Alice, Jack & Peter. Alice has chosen Jack, but continues to struggle with her feelings for Peter. Now that Alice is a full fledged vampire, she is struggling with her bloodlust for Jack & trying to stay in control.

Peter has disappeared & news comes over that he is getting into trouble with the wrong crowd. On a suicidal mission with a pack of rogue vampires.

Ezra & Alice travel to track him down & save him from this pack. It doesn't turn out too well with Ezra trading his life for Peters. They escape back home only to be tracked by the pack.

Mae is also on a mission to turn her great-granddaughter whom is terminally ill.

There is a lot going on in this one, full of mystery & action. Another fantastic book in the series. Final book to follow is Wisdom. ( )
  ktu35114 | Oct 27, 2012 |
Flutter...well, I just had to know what was going to happen to Alice and Jack and Peter. I was still bothered by some chapters that seemed to be frivolous, but on to book 4 I go. ( )
  lms8esmith | Oct 8, 2012 |

Being undead doesn't make life any easier for Alice Bonham. Her younger brother's love life is heating up, while hers is-- more complicated. Alice volunteers for a rescue mission with Ezra. But going up against a pack of rabid vampires might be too much, even for him.… (more)

132 wanted2 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,696,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible