The Non-Designer's Design Book by Robin…

The Non-Designer's Design Book

by Robin Williams

English (25)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  All languages (27)
I accidentally bought this little gem. It's inexpensive and quite practical for programmers. ( )
  scottkirkwood | Dec 4, 2018 |
This is an excellent reference work for those who want or need to design something, but who do not have the luxury of going to design school. The information is presented clearly and concisely, and there are many examples of the principles being discussed found throughout the book.

I first got this book for one of my college editing courses, and I still reference it regularly. It's helped to give me more tools to use in explaining why something does or doesn't work from a design standpoint. ( )
  shadrachanki | Jun 8, 2018 |
I have taught out of this book for five years. It is a strong step-by-step to get people to start thinking about design principles. ( )
  cjrecordvt | Aug 13, 2016 |
A delightful book full of concrete, actionable advice that is perfect for amateurs that want to improve their design skills. This book won't make you a professional designer, but it gives you a vocabulary for thinking about fundamental design principles, including colors, fonts, alignment, repetition, contrast, and proximity. The book includes many examples that show how you can use each of these principles to improve a design step by step. By the time you're done, you've trained your eye a bit, and won't be able to see designs the same way. In fact, within 10 minutes of reading, I was going back to some of my designs and making small improvements.

The only downside is that the book is stronger in some areas than others. For example, the discussion of alignment and grouping is very well done, and has tons of examples to make the ideas stick. However, while the discussion of color theory is very clear, there aren't nearly as many examples, and it's not nearly as obvious how to use the information.

Overall, it's a very quick read that can really help the typical person.

Some good quotes from the book:

Lack of alignment is probably the biggest cause of unappealing documents. Our eyes like to see order; it creates a calm, secure feeling in its clarity. Plus it helps to communicate the information.

Nothing should be placed on the page arbitrarily. Every element should have some visual connection with another element on the page.

Avoid using more than one text alignment on the page (that is, don’t center some text and right-align other text). And please try very hard to break away from a centered alignment unless you are consciously trying to create a more formal, sedate presentation. Choose a centered alignment consciously, not by default.

The most practical thing to remember is that cool colors recede into the background, and warm colors come forward.

One of the most important features of an identity package or branding follows the Principle of Repetition: there must be some identifying image or style that carries throughout every piece.

Typography endows human language with visual form.

A design is in conflict when you set two or more typefaces on the same page that are similar—not really different but not really the same. I have seen countless students trying to match a typeface with one on the page, looking for a face that “looks similar.” Wrong. When you put two faces together that look too much alike without really being so, most of the time it looks like a mistake.

If you have trouble seeing what is wrong with a combination of typefaces, don’t look for what is different between the faces—look for what is similar. It is the similarities that are causing the problem.
The major rule to follow when contrasting type is this: Don’t be a wimp!

Start with the focal point. Decide what it is you want readers to see first. ( )
2 vote brikis98 | Nov 11, 2015 |
This was a perfect introduction to design elements from everything from how to set up a newsletter to excel sheet--as well as flyers and invitations!!

It's full of examples and explanations, I am only worried that I wnat to keep it to use as a reference (rather than return it to my friend!). ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
To Carmen Sheldon, my comrade in Design, my friend in Life, - with great love, R
This short chapter explains the four basic principles in general, each of which will be explained in detail in the following chapters.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0321193857, Paperback)

So you have a great concept and all the fancy digital tools you could possibly require¿what¿s stopping you from creating beautiful pages? Namely the training to pull all of these elements together into a cohesive design that effectively communicates your message. Not to worry: This book is the one place you can turn to find quick, non-intimidating, excellent design help.

In The Non-Designer¿s Design Book, 2nd Edition, best-selling author Robin Williams turns her attention to the basic principles of good design and typography. All you have to do is follow her clearly explained concepts, and you¿ll begin producing more sophisticated, professional, and interesting pages immediately. Humor-infused, jargon-free prose interspersed with design exercises, quizzes, illustrations, and dozens of examples make learning a snap¿which is just what audiences have come to expect from this best-selling author.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:24 -0400)

Meditations to use in guiding understanding of biblical teaching and application of that teaching in life.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0321193857, 0321534042

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,462,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible