Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Delirium

by Lauren Oliver

Series: Delirium (1)

Lena looks forward to receiving the government-mandated cure that prevents the delirium of love and leads to a safe, predictable, and happy life, until ninety-five days before her eighteenth birthday and her treatment, when she falls in love.
    Matched by Ally Condie (foggidawn)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Kerian)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (BeckyJG)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (Kerian, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these intense dystopian novels, teenage girls start to question the life-changing operation their oppressive government mandates for teens. Both girls redefine their values and grapple with the possibility of escaping to a rebellious colony in the wilderness.… (more)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (BeckyJG)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (kaledrina)
    Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky (Kritik)
    Kritik: Dystopia
    Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (keeneam)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)
    Girl Parts by John M. Cusick (kaledrina)
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (kaledrina)
    A Very Private Life by Michael Frayn (atreic)
    atreic: Both these books have a teenage protagonist who breaks out of her distopian existance because they suddenly fall in love...

English (478)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (484)
HS, series, future utopia, love, disease

What if you could escape all the drama of your teen years? Would you look forward to that? Lena does, she can’t wait for the day when she is cured, when she’s officially grown up and happy. Her life will be planned out and settled. Lots of people would like to live this way-it’s not so bad is it? But where does choice fit in? Love? Love is considered a disease. Something to be afraid of, avoided at all costs.

With excellent writing, Ms. Oliver sucked me straight into the world. I understood Lena’s fear and her desire to leave that behind. A society could easily talk itself into a cure and the isolationism. Changing the scriptures to suit society’s needs with so many church ard it would be to . I missed the time frame--I think Lena must be second generation under this system. I love how she has woven in quotations from the “revised literature” of Shakespeare, Scriptures, and yet included true quotations from classic love poetry. I hate how this book ended. I know it’s a trilogy, but ugh!!!! Cliff hangers are the worst way to end a book. I immediately went out to buy the sequel.

Book of Shhh- “Fundamentals of Society”

Psalm 42- not the one we associate w/ours- as the deer

So interesting how the Bible has been rewritten by this society to suit themselves. (Lamentations Mary 13:1)

“I understood that all the happiest moments of my childhood were a lie. They were wrong and unsafe and illegal. They were freakish. My mother was freakish and I probably inherited the freakishness from her.”
  readingbeader | Oct 29, 2020 |
I will recommend this to teens, because I think there are many who will enjoy it. I really, really disliked it. Oliver does an excellent job of getting into a teen girl's head, which I appreciate. However, nothing happens in this book. There's a great deal of worrying, pining, worrying, being in love, worrying, then a chapter of two with some action and then the cliffhanger for the next in the series. I really dislike reading a fairly hefty YA title like this that reads like it is JUST a set up for the next book or books. If this hadn't been for book club, I wouldn't have finished it. ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
Surprisingly I loved the book. The concept of the world was different. It was an enjoyable read. ( )
  Haleema-imran | Aug 3, 2020 |
An amazing unique dystopian novel. The ending hit me like a truck, I loved it. ( )
  Tehya13 | Jul 21, 2020 |
I can honestly say that this was one of the most painful reads for me this year.

To recap this novel is part of the USA by the book that I am participating in this summer. I really loved the first novel that I read as part of USA by the book but this one was awful.

This is a YA novel that takes place in a fictional future where love has been outlawed. Apparently it has been found that love can lead to all kinds of diseases such as being bi-polar and heart disease.

All citizens have to undergo the Cure which will make them incapable of love. The main character of this novel is Lena who is happy that she will be undergoing the Cure. She sees love as a dangerous thing that led to her mother's death. While about to undergo treatment an incident causes Lena's cure to be delayed which leads her to meet the mysterious Alex and find out what love can lead to.

I gave this novel one star because as I said above, it was awful. The only reason why I gave it one star were that the chapters were short.

First, I can't even get behind the science that would say that love is bad and can lead to as many diseases as the novel claims. Maybe if there was more information provided by the author in this novel that can show why love is such a horrible thing and why anyone in the world would go along with a supposed cure that would turn your emotions off.

Second, the world building in this novel was shallow at best. One reason that I like dystopian novels is that an author can make up an entirely new world. It's cool to read someone else' words and get to know what strange world have they created. One of the many reasons why I loved the novel Dune so much.

With regards to Delirium, there is no real sense of the world the author has created. This novel takes place in Portland, Maine and there is some references to other cities, but that's about it. I hate it when an author does not describe a place and it ends up sounding like Everytown, Usa.

I could maybe understand how the Cure happened if we had any explanations of why this occurred and how a large population of people agreed to do such a thing for 64 years. Maybe if the timeline of the novel had been expanded, i.e. it has been a 100 years or 200 years since the first person underwent the Cure and it is a normal way of life now. But for some reason 64 years seemed to be such a short time-frame for people to willingly undergo the Cure and the science as mentioned above made no sense. I think Ms. Oliver lost a golden opportunity to invent other cities, places, perhaps a Great War which lead to people trying to stop human beings from killing one another.

I understood and got engrossed with the Hunger Games and how those events occurred and were let to continue because of the Capital and how the games were used to stop any potential uprisings. Maybe in the second and third books in this trilogy it will be explained further. I can honestly say that I have no plans to read either of those novels.

Third, the main character of Lena is freaking annoying. The way that she is written she is the drippiest character ever. It also doesn't help that the author uses such overwrought language throughout the whole novel. For example:

"Of course we aren't yet totally free from the deliria in the United States. Until the procedure has been perfected, until it has been made safe for the under-eighteens, we will never be totally protected. It still moves around us with invisible, sweeping tentacles, choking us."

I could put more quotes from the book in this review but I like to spare you all. The entire novel needed to be toned down. I have never seen so many adjectives or adverbs in my life in just one novel. All I wanted to do was scream, "just say it's yellow, quit saying it looks like a golden halo with dew sprinkled upon it. Just say yellow!" Quick aside, it's never good when I start yelling while reading a novel.

Fourth, the romance between Lena and Alex had me rolling my eyes. I had more chemistry with the guy at Starbucks who I buy coffee from everyday. If you want the readers to root for the main protagonist and a guy you have to believe they really are in love. I felt like Lena's feelings for Alex were shallow at best and Alex was written very one dimensional. He did not feel like a real person to me while reading. What almost killed me while reading was that of course when Lena falls in love with Alex the writing becomes even more painful to get through.

I do not recommend this novel. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |

Helanen-Ahtola, Marjasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lempens, Willekesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ridelberg, HelenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valle Simón, CarmenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The most dangerous sicknesses are those that make us believe we are well.

--Proverb 42, The Book of Shhh
For all the people who have infected me with

amor deliria nervosa in the past--

you know who you are.

For the people who will infect me in the future--

I can't wait to see who you'll be.

And in both cases:

Thank you.
It has been sixty-four years since the president and the Consortium identified love as a disease, and forty-three since the scientists perfected a cure.

There was a time when love was the most important thing in the world. People would go to the end of the earth to find it. They would tell lies for it. Even kill for it.

Then, at last, they found the cure.

Now, everything is different. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Haloway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But then, with only ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable
Love is bad for you.
A cure is necessary.
Will Lena survive?
{wegc}

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Lauren Oliver's book Delirium was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,525,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible