Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium

by Lauren Oliver

Series: Delirium (1)

English (404)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (409)
I really loved the premise of this book. When this is the case I'm usually disappointed by the execution but this was not one of those times. I'm not sure if this was deliberate, but she makes a great statement about today's world and our obsession with turning everything into a disease. We allow ourselves to be medicated for everything but at what cost? A very thought provoking and enjoyable read. If you're not really into the social commentary there is also a beautiful love story that will keep you flipping the pages. ( )
  plaeski | Dec 16, 2014 |
What a great read this was! Lauren Oliver has created a unique dystopian world and richly drawn characters that I can't wait to revisit in the sequel. Lena, the main character, is only 17. One thing I really liked about her was that she often actually acts the way a 17 year old would, immaturely. Frequently in YA the teenage characters behave more like adults than teens. I find that annoying, so it was a nice change here. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys dystopian stories. ( )
  Kelly_Mills | Dec 12, 2014 |
Not as good as other dystopian series I've read lately (Gone and Divergent specifically) but entertaining! I need something to read while I am waiting for the end of both these books! ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
When I closed this book I just stared at it for a minute. Just stared at it before I hurriedly opened Twitter and immediately said (excuse my would be language) "WTF?". I mean, I read 'Before I Fall' and it had the same effect on me, a little bit stronger because I balled my eyes out like a baby but still...this was also a very powerful ending. I guess I should start at the beginning before I go to the end but...whatever.

So, basically in Lena's word Love is considered a disease. The whole world walks around feeling almost nothing because of a government 'cure'. I would have loved to know more about what the cure is or supposed to be, that was very mysterious and odd. Lena is ok in the beginning but I think her character wakes up more when she meets Alex. I felt by Alex and Lena meeting and falling in love the whole dynamic of both characters changed and they were better characters for being together. So, Alex, he is dreamy, mysterious, and definitely the kind of guy to get you into trouble. Definitely.

I enjoyed this book, I didn't feel an urgent need to finish and keep going until the end of the book, I just read a bit each day and then put it down and then read some more the next day. When I got to the end I had to know what going to happen. I was sad, shocked, surprised, and outraged all at the same time because of this ending. Ms. Oliver takes no prisoners when it comes to her endings and you will see it here. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I just finished reading Delirium. It is a young adult dystopian novel by Lauren Oliver. It has been declared that love is not a good thing. It is a disease. Those who are infected with love are a great risk to the rest of society. It’s okay though, because a cure has been found. A new society is formed. One that is free from the disease. The question is, does everybody follow the new way of life? Are there uncured people out there still?

I really enjoyed this novel. It was witty and funny. It was also serious and thought provoking. I feel like I could relate to Lena. She was constantly struggling between what was right by society and what she felt was right. I loved Hana though. She was one of my favorite characters ever! I love how the author gave her a bubbly personality that just shone through even through the dim parts of the book.

There wasn’t really much that I didn’t like about this book. I do feel like there were certain parts of the book that the author could of went into a little more detail over. I understand why other parts were just brushed over though. I like how the author gives you just enough in some parts to make you wonder and try to determine things on your own. I like that kind of foreshadowing sometimes.

I would fully recommend this book. If you like dystopian novels, I especially recommend it to you. It reminds me of a book that I read that never got published (Kalissa). It also reminds me of a more modern version of The Giver, but in a more modern setting. I’m very honored that I was given the opportunity to read this book! I can’t wait to read the rest of the books with this series! ( )
  WillowStarSerenity | Oct 15, 2014 |

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drew, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaikille niille, jotka ovat joskus tartuttaneet minuun
amor deliria nervosan –
tiedätte kyllä, keitä olette.
Ja niille, jotka tartutatte minut tulevaisuudessa –
en malta odottaa nähdäkseni keitä te olette.
Ja kummassakin tapauksessa:
Kiitos.
It has been sixty-four years since the president and the Consortium identified love as a disease, and forty-three since the scientists perfected a cure.

There was a time when love was the most important thing in the world. People would go to the end of the earth to find it. They would tell lies for it. Even kill for it.

Then, at last, they found the cure.

Now, everything is different. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Haloway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But then, with only ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable
Love is bad for you.
A cure is necessary.
Will Lena survive?
{wegc}

Lena looks forward to receiving the government-mandated cure that prevents the delirium of love and leads to a safe, predictable, and happy life, until ninety-five days before her eighteenth birthday and her treatment, she falls in love.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Delirium by Lauren Oliver was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,361,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible