Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium

by Lauren Oliver

Series: Delirium (1)

English (394)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (399)
the ending blew me awaay. ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
the ending blew me awaay. ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
4.5-5.

Again, not sure this is one I'll feel the need to relive over and over like my other favorite books. But infinitely superior to most things I've read. Sure it's a little predictable, but Delirium harbors no pretense about that. Some of the things that were meant to be a shock were not entirely shocking.

But it was well written. I loved the characters. I can't wait to see what happens next, what happens to each of them. Despite the prevalent despair, the author always provides some hope to cling to. Just like in other dystopian novels, like Hunger Games and Divergent, you can sense a coming revolution. And I can't wait to be brought along for the ride. This book is so popular that I was on the waiting list for two months with my local (and rather large) library. It was definitely worth the wait. ( )
  lyssa73 | Aug 2, 2014 |
At first I didn't get drawn into this book as much as I would hope. The plot was just AMAZING, yet the writing felt so juvenile at times that I felt bored. There were parts in the beginning when Alex would hint that he wanted to meet Lena somewhere, and I'd be like "neat." But then she'd blab on a whole paragraph trying to figure out what he was telling her and then another paragraph saying things like "He. Is. Giving. Me. A. Signal." and I'm just like, "congratulations, you finally figured it out." I don't know, I just didn't like how everything was being spelled out to me like I was an idiot that didn't know how to read between the lines. I mean, yes this is YA but come on, I don't think I've ever read another young adult novel that repeatedly made me feel like I was reading juvenile fiction as much as this one.

First impression aside though, I became pretty hooked. After losing interest in the first few chapters, I picked it up again and realized that this book is actually not that bad. I love the story line and I love the characters. My favorite character is Hana because she is described as such a sunny person, and I love sunny people. She sounds like the embodiment of sunshine. I'm also really interested in how Lena's mother will turn out, along with Gracie. It might be odd that two of my favorite characters are the most mysterious ones, but I guess that's why I am attracted to them.

To be honest, as much as I did EVENTUALLY enjoy the book, there are still quite a few things that bothered me, specifically the fact that it sounds like a compilation of many other movies and books I have read before. First of all, the scene with Lena and Alex felt very "Twilight" to me. She kept describing him as a statue carved out of stone, and the way she described how she felt for him reminded me almost painfully of how Bella felt for Edward. Then again, I think she is a bit more justified considering she was taught her whole life that those feelings were literally a disease, illegal, and should be avoided at all cost. So overall, it honestly was an intense experience for her, so I forgive the "Twilight-ness" of their relationship. Secondly, the emphasis on the scars on their necks due to the surgery reminded me of another novel by Stephanie Meyer, "The Host". And lastly, the entire plot itself was like a teenage version of "Equilibrium", which is actually one of my favorite movies.

Overall, I love dystopian stories, and I love romance, and I guess I enjoyed the book. I am going to continue on with the series out of interest and curiosity about what happens next. I'm not in a rush to go out and buy the next book, which is saying something. I'm rating it four stars because well, I just liked it. I didn't love it, I'm not obsessed with it, it's simply okay. ( )
  nikkiplusbooks | Aug 1, 2014 |

nikkiplusbooks | Aug 1, 2014 |

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drew, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaikille niille, jotka ovat joskus tartuttaneet minuun
amor deliria nervosan –
tiedätte kyllä, keitä olette.
Ja niille, jotka tartutatte minut tulevaisuudessa –
en malta odottaa nähdäkseni keitä te olette.
Ja kummassakin tapauksessa:
Kiitos.
It has been sixty-four years since the president and the Consortium identified love as a disease, and forty-three since the scientists perfected a cure.

There was a time when love was the most important thing in the world. People would go to the end of the earth to find it. They would tell lies for it. Even kill for it.

Then, at last, they found the cure.

Now, everything is different. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Haloway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But then, with only ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable
Love is bad for you.
A cure is necessary.
Will Lena survive?
{wegc}

Lena looks forward to receiving the government-mandated cure that prevents the delirium of love and leads to a safe, predictable, and happy life, until ninety-five days before her eighteenth birthday and her treatment, she falls in love.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Delirium by Lauren Oliver was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,094,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible