Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium

by Lauren Oliver

Series: Delirium (1)

English (400)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (405)
I just finished reading Delirium. It is a young adult dystopian novel by Lauren Oliver. It has been declared that love is not a good thing. It is a disease. Those who are infected with love are a great risk to the rest of society. It’s okay though, because a cure has been found. A new society is formed. One that is free from the disease. The question is, does everybody follow the new way of life? Are there uncured people out there still?

I really enjoyed this novel. It was witty and funny. It was also serious and thought provoking. I feel like I could relate to Lena. She was constantly struggling between what was right by society and what she felt was right. I loved Hana though. She was one of my favorite characters ever! I love how the author gave her a bubbly personality that just shone through even through the dim parts of the book.

There wasn’t really much that I didn’t like about this book. I do feel like there were certain parts of the book that the author could of went into a little more detail over. I understand why other parts were just brushed over though. I like how the author gives you just enough in some parts to make you wonder and try to determine things on your own. I like that kind of foreshadowing sometimes.

I would fully recommend this book. If you like dystopian novels, I especially recommend it to you. It reminds me of a book that I read that never got published (Kalissa). It also reminds me of a more modern version of The Giver, but in a more modern setting. I’m very honored that I was given the opportunity to read this book! I can’t wait to read the rest of the books with this series! ( )
  WillowStarSerenity | Oct 15, 2014 |
In this dystopian view of the United States, love (amor deliria nervosa) has been banned because it causes insanity and death to those it touches. A cure has been developed, given to everyone who turns 18 years old, which turns the cured person into a person without feeling who is ready to live the carefully programmed government life of obedience.

Read more at: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/ ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
Delirium is like nothing else I've read (which is rich considering I just said it reminded me of something). I think the idea for this book is genius and I'm unsure why its never been done before. In it love is bad. It infects you and makes your mind not your own. You don't think clearly, you cant stand to be away from the other person and you will do anything to keep them safe. So what do they do to keep a hold on everyone and make sure no one is opinionated or has a mind of their one? they cure you.

When you turn 18 you undergo surgery that will remove your ability to love, thus leaving you a mindless zombie that will say and do anything the people in charge tell you to, the only problem is it doesn't always work, something Lena knows all too well. Ever since she was little all she's ever dreamed about is being cured. And when she was 6, her mother having committing suicide because of love, her mind was made up even more.

But the day she went for her assessment, her life changed. It was the day she met Alex.
She thought she was safe around him, he has the scars and he promised her he'd been cured. Until she began to fall for him and him for her, he couldn't lie any more and told her the truth about where he came from.

At first that mattered, but then it didn't. They spent more and more time together, falling into a deep love. Lena began to change, be the person she was destined to be without rule. And when she did her character grew and blossomed so quick it was hard to believe it was the same person. Her and Alex are near to busted on a handful of occasions but it not until Lena finally got paired do they get hit with the harsh reality of the word they live in and the rules they are suppose to follow. But everything changes when they plan to make a run for it. For the worst.

Lauren Oliver manages to grip you at every turn with this books. Her characters are well thought out, described and written. The world she creates is wonderful. To the point where I found myself wishing I was there a few times (haha silly). This book has something everyone can relate to. That love feeling. The feeling of not being able to think straight or eat because you are so in love that you cant focus on anything else. And the feeling when it all crumbles down around you.

“And now I know why they invented words for love, why they had to: It's the only thing that can come close to describing what I feel in that moment, the baffling mixture of pain and pleasure and fear and joy, all running sharply through me at once.”

This is one of my new favourites ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
Lauren Oliver is a great writer, she proved that to me when I read Before I Fall, and with Delirium the same great writing is there. The story isn't as good, but I think it's due to the premise of the story.

Delirium is about a world where love is a sickness and when you reach the age of eighteen, you need to be cured of this horrible virus.

Once you are cured, everything is better. Except, it's not. Parents no longer have feelings towards their kids, couples go through the motion, and people stop loving each other. In this world, it's hunky dory to the people, but to the reader we can clearly see that this is really messed up.

The Good:

At first, I was bored Lena and loved Hana. By the middle of the novel, I still loved Hana, but I liked Lena too. Lena is someone who was really into the system, so her reluctance to do anything, given with what happened to her mother, was realistic and made sense. She does start to change once she falls in love, but even then when she first finds out what Alex really is, she stops all contact with him. In a lot of other novels, she would have continued her relationship and changed completely, but Lena didn't. I really liked that about her.

Did I mention that Hana was awesome? If I didn't, then well...she was awesome.

I really liked the world that Lauren Oliver created. Not the virus, but the fact that the people are so heavily governed and that they think that this is for the good of the people is scary. Hmmm, maybe this is why the government decided to 'cure' everyone of love when they're eighteen. They reach the age to vote, get cured, then stop caring about how heavily oppressed they truly are.

The Okay

Once Lena falls in love, she starts to become a bit stupid. Considering how oppressive her country has become and how scared she was before, she seems to stop caring. Even though she knows of the consequences.

I've never been in love before or in a relationship so I don't know how that affects or changes people, but I do know that if I lived there and was in love with someone, I wouldn't have done some of the things Lena did.

The Bad
Sadly, while I did like many things in the book, the thing that I didn't like was the premise. I think it's because love wasn't really defined properly in this. For example, I do love my family and with that love comes caring, loyalty, and a bunch of other emotions. And we do see that with Aunt Carol and her children, she doesn't have any motherly love for them and treats them in a mechanical kind of manner. She's doing things for them, not because she loves them, but because it's her job and duty as a mother.

At the same time, there are scenes when you could tell that she does care for her children, husband, and Lena. Her trying to remind Lena that after she's cured she won't want to hang out with Hana so much, showed that she did care. She even looked a little sad when saying this. She actively tries to help Lena through her examinations, because she wants what is best for her.

But then, she calls her kid stupid because one of her daughters can't speak. It might just be me, but I kind of wish the virus was explained a bit more, because it did seem inconsistent at some points.

Other than that, I quite liked the book. ( )
  pdbkwm | Sep 8, 2014 |
It was really good. ( )
  cassie.peters1 | Sep 6, 2014 |

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drew, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaikille niille, jotka ovat joskus tartuttaneet minuun
amor deliria nervosan –
tiedätte kyllä, keitä olette.
Ja niille, jotka tartutatte minut tulevaisuudessa –
en malta odottaa nähdäkseni keitä te olette.
Ja kummassakin tapauksessa:
Kiitos.
It has been sixty-four years since the president and the Consortium identified love as a disease, and forty-three since the scientists perfected a cure.

There was a time when love was the most important thing in the world. People would go to the end of the earth to find it. They would tell lies for it. Even kill for it.

Then, at last, they found the cure.

Now, everything is different. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Haloway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But then, with only ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable
Love is bad for you.
A cure is necessary.
Will Lena survive?
{wegc}

Lena looks forward to receiving the government-mandated cure that prevents the delirium of love and leads to a safe, predictable, and happy life, until ninety-five days before her eighteenth birthday and her treatment, she falls in love.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Delirium by Lauren Oliver was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,388,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible