Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium

by Lauren Oliver

Series: Delirium (1)

Matched by Ally Condie (foggidawn)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Kerian)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (BeckyJG)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (Kerian, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these intense dystopian novels, teenage girls start to question the life-changing operation their oppressive government mandates for teens. Both girls redefine their values and grapple with the possibility of escaping to a rebellious colony in the wilderness.… (more)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (BeckyJG)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (kaledrina)
    Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky (Kritik)
    Kritik: Dystopia
    Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (keeneam)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)
    Girl Parts by John M. Cusick (kaledrina)
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (kaledrina)
    A Very Private Life by Michael Frayn (atreic)
    atreic: Both these books have a teenage protagonist who breaks out of her distopian existance because they suddenly fall in love...

English (434)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (440)
A very entertaining read. Not quite "The Hunger Games" , but it more then satisfied my craving for frivolous dystopian YA fiction :) ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
Just finished Delirium after rocketing through it, much like I did Lauren Oliver's previous novel, Before I Fall. Totally loved it right up until the last page, last paragraphs. After reading those my mouth was hanging open and I wanted to email Lauren to ask what the heck she was thinking.

NOW, I see the lovely bit in the parentheses that says (Delirium, #1) MEANING that the story is not over.... I'll hold off on sending Lauren that message because there is more to come!!!

If these was a stand-alone book I would be exceptionally peaved. What a poopy ending ... if that was indeed the ending, but it's not!

Hooray!!

Now - when is #2 coming out. I want to know what will happen to our Romeo and Juliet! ( )
  zuzamiller | Feb 3, 2016 |
It took some time to get into, but the ending brought tears to my eyes. It was amazing. Read it! ( )
  uhohxkate | Jan 31, 2016 |
Rating this a 4 because 3 seems too low and there aren't half-stars.

Read my full review here: http://www.renaemcbrianbooks.com/2014/09/book-review-delirium-by-lauren-oliver.h... ( )
  RenaeMcBrian | Jan 31, 2016 |
Rating this a 4 because 3 seems too low and there aren't half-stars.

RenaeMcBrian | Jan 31, 2016 |

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drew, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The most dangerous sicknesses are those that make us believe we are well.

--Proverb 42, The Book of Shhh
For all the people who have infected me with

amor deliria nervosa in the past--

you know who you are.

For the people who will infect me in the future--

I can't wait to see who you'll be.

And in both cases:

Thank you.
It has been sixty-four years since the president and the Consortium identified love as a disease, and forty-three since the scientists perfected a cure.

There was a time when love was the most important thing in the world. People would go to the end of the earth to find it. They would tell lies for it. Even kill for it.

Then, at last, they found the cure.

Now, everything is different. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Haloway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But then, with only ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable
Love is bad for you.
A cure is necessary.
Will Lena survive?
{wegc}

Lena looks forward to receiving the government-mandated cure that prevents the delirium of love and leads to a safe, predictable, and happy life, until ninety-five days before her eighteenth birthday and her treatment, she falls in love.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Delirium by Lauren Oliver was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,205,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible