Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Authors:Lauren Oliver
Info:Piemme (2011), Hardcover
Rating:***1/2

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Matched by Ally Condie (foggidawn)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Kerian)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (BeckyJG)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (Kerian, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these intense dystopian novels, teenage girls start to question the life-changing operation their oppressive government mandates for teens. Both girls redefine their values and grapple with the possibility of escaping to a rebellious colony in the wilderness.… (more)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (BeckyJG)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (kaledrina)
    Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky (Kritik)
    Kritik: Dystopia
    Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (keeneam)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)
    Girl Parts by John M. Cusick (kaledrina)
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (kaledrina)
    A Very Private Life by Michael Frayn (atreic)
    atreic: Both these books have a teenage protagonist who breaks out of her distopian existance because they suddenly fall in love...

English (478)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (484)
I might read the next one instead of listening to it due to the teen angst. It's an improbable dystopia with its outlawing of affection/love but there is some decent romance and adventure and it takes place in Portland, Maine which is hard to resist (I spent a lot of time there in my late teens) ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
This book isn't awful per se but:
- it focuses too much on romance. I like a bit of romance but not that much.
- I like when a book takes over my emotions. It didn't happen here. I was even bored while reading.
So I didn't even finish it. I am so disappointed. ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
Lauren Oliver is turning out to be the Jodi Picoult of young adult. Her twist endings and haunting stories are very good. ( )
  kweber319 | May 13, 2019 |
Lena’s mom and dad died when she was young, so Lena was raised by her aunt. Lena’s 18th birthday is coming up soon, and it will be such a relief to be able to have the surgery done – the cure! – to prevent the sickness “amor deliria nervosa” (aka love). Everyone gets the cure on their 18th birthday. She’ll be matched with someone to marry and her life will be perfect. But, before her birthday (and the surgery) arrives, she meets Alex…

I really liked this. It seems an odd premise, but I went with it, and quite enjoyed it. I liked Lena’s best friend, Hana, and her young cousin(?), Grace, although a bit more interaction with Grace might have been nice. Maybe one of the upcoming books in the series will have more about her? I will definitely be continuing. ( )
  LibraryCin | Feb 16, 2019 |
Wow...where to begin. This book transports you into another world...a world where love doesn't exist, where hate doesn't exist, just indifference. The concept of this world is frightening beyond words. This world wants to cure people of the "disease". There is no life in anything anymore. Lena is just another body roaming through this world until Alex shows up. He shows her a world full of hope and possibility and dreams and LOVE.

The very last page of the book shatters your heart and makes you jump into your car to go buy the 2nd book.

Heart-stopping last few chapters. Cannot wait to pick up Pandemonium. ( )
  jawink22 | Feb 6, 2019 |

Helanen-Ahtola, Marjasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lempens, Willekesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ridelberg, HelenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valle Simón, CarmenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The most dangerous sicknesses are those that make us believe we are well.

--Proverb 42, The Book of Shhh
For all the people who have infected me with

amor deliria nervosa in the past--

you know who you are.

For the people who will infect me in the future--

I can't wait to see who you'll be.

And in both cases:

Thank you.
It has been sixty-four years since the president and the Consortium identified love as a disease, and forty-three since the scientists perfected a cure.

There was a time when love was the most important thing in the world. People would go to the end of the earth to find it. They would tell lies for it. Even kill for it.

Then, at last, they found the cure.

Now, everything is different. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Haloway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But then, with only ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable
Love is bad for you.
A cure is necessary.
Will Lena survive?
{wegc}

Lena looks forward to receiving the government-mandated cure that prevents the delirium of love and leads to a safe, predictable, and happy life, until ninety-five days before her eighteenth birthday and her treatment, she falls in love.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Lauren Oliver's book Delirium was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,342,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible