Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Authors:Lauren Oliver
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:*****

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Matched by Ally Condie (foggidawn)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Kerian)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (BeckyJG)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (Kerian, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these intense dystopian novels, teenage girls start to question the life-changing operation their oppressive government mandates for teens. Both girls redefine their values and grapple with the possibility of escaping to a rebellious colony in the wilderness.… (more)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (BeckyJG)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (kaledrina)
    Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky (Kritik)
    Kritik: Dystopia
    Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (keeneam)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)
    Girl Parts by John M. Cusick (kaledrina)
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (kaledrina)
    A Very Private Life by Michael Frayn (atreic)
    atreic: Both these books have a teenage protagonist who breaks out of her distopian existance because they suddenly fall in love...

English (414)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (420)
The premise is not original - how many versions of "emotions are bad & society is going to give you something to get rid of them" have we seen since The Giver? However, the idea of it being a disease with symptoms and that falling in love is like "getting infected" - that is an interesting take on it. The book was well written, a little slow at first, but it picks up and flows quite nicely for the rest of the book. The characters are easy to relate to and easy to root for - and I did not see the twist at the end coming - I'll be starting book 2 tomorrow. ( )
  BeckyGraham1016 | Jul 22, 2015 |
Lauren Oliver is an amazingly poignant writer and I absolutely love her stories. Delirium is definitely not an exception of her her talent. So far, this book has been my favourite of hers.

Now that being said, here's a look at the book and what I liked. Delirium revolves around the life of Lena Haloway (Tiddle). The period is a dystopian type future, set in America. In this future, love (amor deliria nervosa) is a disease and America has found a cure. Every person 18 and older gets this cure and goes on a to live a happy, care-free life because they no longer can love anything. But because love is considered dangerous and horrible, this cure is great thing to the people.

Basically, they're lobotomized. Cool? Not so much. I'd much rather be sick with the disease, thank you very much.

However, Lena can't wait to be cured so she can prove everyone that she won't wend up like her dead mother...until she falls in love. I was hoping that this falling in love stuff wouldn't be cheesy, and it turns out that it wasn't. The whole thing was very tasteful and actually beautiful. The underlying plot to this story (actually, the trilogy) is also super interesting. I can't say what that is without spoiling it, but lets just say that love always wins. Winkwink.

Alex, the one who contaminated her with amor deliria nervosa? Totally awesome character. He felt like a real guy, not a fantasized one. Lena was also a great character. Though I didn't /sympathize/ all that much, I agreed with her feelings and her actions for the most part. (Not so much the whole, 'All praise the cure!' thing.) She was also an enjoyable protagonist. I wasn't annoyed by her mistakes or angry for things she did do (go out on a raid night) or didn't do (not leave Portland earlier, or not burn down Aunt Carol's house).

The ending is a killer. My heart was pounding through out the whole thing. I refuse, absolutely refuse, to believe that what Lena thinks what happened to Alex actually happened. She never says for sure! There /could/ be a chance! I highly doubt it...but there could! My heart will break if its true...but I again, I can't give away what happens. You'll just have to read the book.

As a whole, the book was great! There's meat to the story and the characters, and it's all super interesting. I can't wait to get my hands on the next books! ( )
  SpazzyDragon13 | Jul 7, 2015 |
The concept of love as an illness is very simliar to the SILENCE in the Psy/Changeling series by Nalini Singh.
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
Seventeen-year-old Lena is just three months (ninety five days if you want to be exact, which she does) away from her procedure. The procedure that will save and/or cure her of deliria nervosa--something we currently know as love.

Love is seen as a disease in Lena's world, something to be feared and avoided at all costs. The cure is celebrated and people who lived in before there was a cure are pitied. Delirium is slightly similar to Matched in that there's a world the main character lives in where she believes herself to be happy, an outside world of rarely (if ever) acknowledged people who don't follow the rules of the society, people are paired together for marriage, and there's an unexpected romance that blossoms that brings the character to certain realizations.

Delirium is a fantastic tale, very much worth reading because even if it might have some things in common with Matched it is very much its own book with its own characters and story.

And of all the dystopians published recently, Delirium has probably the most frightening idea of a future society: one that has (all but) eradicated love. And while people have arranged marriages of a sort and count themselves lucky if they never fall in love (as love is a disease), it's not just romantic love they are proud to be rid of, either. Mothers and fathers no longer feel any true affection for their children, siblings can't say they love each other and are distant once they've had their procedure.

Words obviously get you in trouble, but actions will also betray you as not truly 'cured' as well.

A cure that Lena was absolutely sure she wanted, was sure was the right thing until she met Alex and he turned her view of things on its head.

Now, as Lena journeys toward the date of her procedure, readers will go along with her as she discovers more about her world, where she comes from, and maybe where--and who--it is she wants to be at the end.

10/10

read thanks to NetGalley and the publisher
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
I read this book a few years ago but seeing as the first review I ever posted on my blog was Requiem, the last book in the trilogy, it seemed weird to post reviews for the other two but I think I've waited long enough haha.

If you're looking for a dystopian novel with an epic romance you need to read Delirium. This book is all about the couple and while reading I felt like I was in their relationship right along with them. I felt myself falling hard for this book. The beginning is a little slow but once you get past the foundation of the world-building it really picks up. If you want to fall in love, read this book.

Full Review: http://brittanysbookrambles.blogspot.com/2015/04/delirium-delirium-1-by-lauren-o... ( )
  bpress | Apr 20, 2015 |

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drew, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The most dangerous sicknesses are those that make us believe we are well.

--Proverb 42, The Book of Shhh
For all the people who have infected me with

amor deliria nervosa in the past--

you know who you are.

For the people who will infect me in the future--

I can't wait to see who you'll be.

And in both cases:

Thank you.
It has been sixty-four years since the president and the Consortium identified love as a disease, and forty-three since the scientists perfected a cure.

There was a time when love was the most important thing in the world. People would go to the end of the earth to find it. They would tell lies for it. Even kill for it.

Then, at last, they found the cure.

Now, everything is different. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Haloway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But then, with only ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable
Love is bad for you.
A cure is necessary.
Will Lena survive?
{wegc}

Lena looks forward to receiving the government-mandated cure that prevents the delirium of love and leads to a safe, predictable, and happy life, until ninety-five days before her eighteenth birthday and her treatment, she falls in love.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Delirium by Lauren Oliver was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,437,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible