Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Authors:Lauren Oliver
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:*****

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

2011 (37) 2012 (17) 2013 (21) ARC (17) disease (20) dystopia (249) dystopian (121) ebook (36) family (14) fantasy (34) fiction (116) friendship (20) future (30) Kindle (16) lauren oliver (13) library (13) love (126) love story (11) Maine (28) own (12) read (27) read in 2011 (19) romance (133) science fiction (141) series (37) teen (45) to-read (148) YA (154) young adult (161) young adult fiction (20)

English (376)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (381)
I devoured this book in a day. It was a fast paced story that held my attention. The writing was pretty good and you can't help but like the characters. The growth that you see in the protagonist is believable and the love story grabs you into rooting for them. The social commentary is interesting and I think that the book will lead an audience to questions and think about what could be. The author makes sure to make the setting almost a place that could be your neighborhood, something a little close to home. I only hope the sequels continue to with a compelling story and keeps my interest. ( )
  cfranson | Apr 7, 2014 |
I wasn't sold on the idea when I first started reading this book, and I kept getting stuck on the writing. After a while, however, the story sucked me in and I was hooked. I LOVE the way the concept of love is explored in depth, especially because it's considered a disease. I'd never given much thought to love as a sickness, but the more I read Delirium, the more I realized that all the symptoms are there! Great job creating this unique read, Lauren Oliver! ( )
  kacimari | Apr 4, 2014 |
Interesting... alternate-apocalyptic feminism? Love is a disease, amor deliria, eradicated by science. Lena hasn't had the treatment yet. And then... she meets a boy.

Kind of... Handmaid's Tale for teen readers? ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
Amazing! This book is one of those books that keep you hooked from early on. I didn't want to put it down, held my interest till the last page, and now I wish I had the second in the series!

The lead characters will keep you interested, and the storyline is written so amazingly well.
It's the first Dystopian novel I've ever read, and it's certainly heightened my interest in the genre.

I highly recommend this amazing book. ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drew, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It has been sixty-four years since the president and the Consortium identified love as a disease, and forty-three since the scientists perfected a cure.

There was a time when love was the most important thing in the world. People would go to the end of the earth to find it. They would tell lies for it. Even kill for it.

Then, at last, they found the cure.

Now, everything is different. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Haloway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But then, with only ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable
Love is bad for you.
A cure is necessary.
Will Lena survive?
{wegc}

Lena looks forward to receiving the government-mandated cure that prevents the delirium of love and leads to a safe, predictable, and happy life, until ninety-five days before her eighteenth birthday and her treatment, she falls in love.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Delirium by Lauren Oliver was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,445,942 books! | Top bar: Always visible