Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Authors:Lauren Oliver
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:****1/2

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Matched by Ally Condie (foggidawn)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Kerian)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (BeckyJG)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (Kerian, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these intense dystopian novels, teenage girls start to question the life-changing operation their oppressive government mandates for teens. Both girls redefine their values and grapple with the possibility of escaping to a rebellious colony in the wilderness.… (more)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (BeckyJG)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (kaledrina)
    Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky (Kritik)
    Kritik: Dystopia
    Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (keeneam)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)
    Girl Parts by John M. Cusick (kaledrina)
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (kaledrina)
    A Very Private Life by Michael Frayn (atreic)
    atreic: Both these books have a teenage protagonist who breaks out of her distopian existance because they suddenly fall in love...

English (454)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All (460)
This is another book I’ve had on my TBR pile for awhile. I originally didn’t read it right away because I was burnt out on YA dystopian books. I haven’t read a lot of dystopian lately and thought I would give it a shot. This ended up being a very predictable and typical YA dystopian novel. I really wasn’t all that impressed; it was okay but not great.

I listened to this on audiobook and the audiobook was okay. The narrator made the male voices sound a bit unrealistic and goofy. Additional she gives our heroine, Lena, a voice that is very breathless and urgent sounding throughout. At first it does help to make situations seem more urgent, but as the story progresses it just makes the heroine sound like she’s overreacting to everything. In short I wouldn’t recommend listening to this on audiobook.

This book is typical YA dystopian from the beginning to the end. Basically after a huge disaster (which we only know is called the Blitz) cities decide that humans have to undergo labadamies at the age of eighteen in order to make them not love or react with strong emotions. It’s a stretch as a premise I know.

Of course our heroine is a good little girl and is excited to get her “cure” until she meets a boy and falls in love with him (yawn). Now she doesn’t want to be cured but wants to escape with him...of course she has to get caught right before she’s going to escape and (of course) they move her procedure up. Okay I guess you could call that last sentence spoilers...but really you knew from page 1 what was going to happen here if you have ever read any YA dystopian books.

The story is slow, the heroine is cookie-cutter boring. The writing is okay; I felt like there was a lot of time spent with character dramatically over-analyzing their feelings..but whatever. I was just never emotionally involved with these characters so there’s that.

The book “ties up” basically in the middle of an action scene of sorts; which is to say it ends up on a giant cliffhanger with no resolutions (except if you’ve read other YA dystopian you can guess what will happen in book 2...I went and read a recap of book 2 just to see if I was right...I was).

Overall an incredibly typical young adult dystopian novels. It is decently written so if you want an overly dramatic and predictable dystopian read with a lot of teenage angst over love and feelings; this should fit the bill. I personally thought it was predictable, boring and generally inane. I wasn’t a fan and won’t continue reading the series. ( )
  krau0098 | Dec 3, 2016 |
i enjoyed it, though it made me really sad... should have figured it might - a world where love is a curable disease. oi. glad I don't live there! ( )
  cybercarotte | Nov 23, 2016 |
Excellent and clever YA novel, a dystopian story about a future US than has deemed love a disease. The disease metaphor was handled interestingly and fairly adroitly; and I like that it's not just the teen idea of lovey-dovey love that's the illnes, but all forms of love. I liked the format and addition of "historical documents" illustrating the expunging of love from culture, including religious tracts, government healthcare articles, history books, etc. Sure to be a solid series aimed straight at my daughter's starry-eyed demographic, but that's okay if it's not crap, and this doesn't appear to be crap. ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
I had been recommended this series several times over to read, and I finally managed to get around to it (so many books, so little time!) I have never read any of Oliver's other books before.

The premise of this series is that love is a disease. At first, you are just struck with horror by the idea, but then you realize that love - at least "new" love - is definitely a disease!

There's a surgery where they can remove the ability to love from your life, thus "curing" the disease. Problem is, they take away basically all of your emotions, and you are turned into a robot, a zombie, an emotionless shell of a human being. That's just SO scary for me.

The characters are great, the book is well written, and obviously the series is very popular. Overall, I didn't love the book, but I did enjoy it. I felt the pace was a little slow, but the book ends with a big cliffhanger.

I received a copy of the book from the library. ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
As a Youth Services librarian, I deal with many YA books and read lots of book reviews. I tend to read more against current trends, figuring that the popular books will always find their way into the hands of readers. Even now, when I am SO over dystopian novels, I'm very glad I read this one. Lauren Oliver draws you in with a great first sentence and gives you a very sympathetic narrator. It's chilling and tender, and I will be recommending Delirium to any teens who have not yet read it. ( )
  PeggyDean | Oct 28, 2016 |

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionscalculated
Drew, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The most dangerous sicknesses are those that make us believe we are well.

--Proverb 42, The Book of Shhh
For all the people who have infected me with

amor deliria nervosa in the past--

you know who you are.

For the people who will infect me in the future--

I can't wait to see who you'll be.

And in both cases:

Thank you.
It has been sixty-four years since the president and the Consortium identified love as a disease, and forty-three since the scientists perfected a cure.

There was a time when love was the most important thing in the world. People would go to the end of the earth to find it. They would tell lies for it. Even kill for it.

Then, at last, they found the cure.

Now, everything is different. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Haloway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But then, with only ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable
Love is bad for you.
A cure is necessary.
Will Lena survive?
{wegc}

Lena looks forward to receiving the government-mandated cure that prevents the delirium of love and leads to a safe, predictable, and happy life, until ninety-five days before her eighteenth birthday and her treatment, she falls in love.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Delirium by Lauren Oliver was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,734,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible