Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Authors:Lauren Oliver
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:****1/2

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Recently added byFoodang, arydwn, jmslibrarygirl, private library, Verkruissen, the-mosthappy, areni55, rena75

English (408)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (414)
Is love a disease? If we eradicated intense emotions from our psyche, would that solve the world's problems? These are a few of the questions that Lauren Oliver's book Delirium addresses. The main character, Lena Haloway, is a young girl raised in the U.S where love has been declared a dangerous disease, and everyone at the age of eighteen must undergo a procedure called the Cure in order to eliminate it. Lena, at first, is excited and a little nervous about her upcoming procedure until she meets Alex, a boy from the Wilds who makes her question the Cure and what it means to live in a world without love. Oliver does a great job creating a dystopian world through beautiful imagery and enough reality to suspend my disbelief (the book takes place in Portland, Maine and there aren't any major technological advances in households that makes the characters' lives much different from our own). I do wish there had been a bit more world-building so I could visualize more of what things look like in that future, but Oliver's focus on character building sort of distracted me from getting too hung up about it. The book does start off a bit slow for my taste, and it might be hard for some YA readers to get into it at first, but halfway through the pace picks up and never stops. This would make a strong primary text in a unit on dystopian literature to show students the effect human nature can have on society as a whole. ( )
  vroussel | Mar 11, 2015 |
3 ½ Stars

The publisher description of the book summarize pretty well what the book it’s about.
Is set in United States in the future, in a society where love is forbidden and seen as an illness call “amor deliria nervosa”. A society in which every bad thing that ever happened in the world is blame on the deadly decease that Love was.

In the book we meet Lena, who grew up in this society and is eagerly awaiting for her procedure, The Cure, that will cured her forever of getting infected by Deliria (Love), taking from her all her emotions, feelings and anything related to love and affection. The procedure is always done at the 18th birthday, she’s 3 months away. After the surgery all past experiences will lose importance, all friendships and relationships will become like blurs of the past, but she will be cured and will live a life of happiness, order and stability.

All teenagers before graduation are also submit to an Evaluation in which a panel of evaluators decide what you are going to study, who are you going to marry and how many kids you can have. During her Evaluation Lena sees Alex for the first time, who would become her romantic counterpart.

In the book we also meet Hana, Lana’s best friend, and also a product of that society, but with a little bit more curiosity than Lena. Hana infiltrates the world of non-cured, invalids and sympathizers, showing us an underworld society, that lives parallel to the general population of Portland.

The novel is a little bit stereotypical and predictable, girl (Lena) meets boy (Alex) and of course Alex is an Invalid or not cured. As expected Lena gets infected of deliria (falls in love) and starts to reevaluate all her believes and defy society.
This is a dystopian Romeo and Juliet novel. Two young characters that fall in love but their love is prohibited, in this case not by their families but by a repressive social system, with a total lack of individual freedom.

The world Lauren Oliver creates is good but not enough, there were more things that should have been explained about the world that were not. The romance between the main characters is not well developed and their relationship lacks deep. I didn’t get a real sense of who Alex really was and what they (Lana and Alex) love about each other.

Oliver’s writing is impeccable; but the first third of the book the pace was very slow, nothing was happening and it was hard for me to get through it. After that point the pace starts to pick up, towards the end pages it becomes a page turner, ending in a cliffhanger, that will leave you wanting to get your hands in the next installment, “Pandemonium” as soon as is published.

The book is good but it could have been amazing, I hope Ms. Oliver continue with the pace of the last past pages in Pandemonium, I’m sure I’ll read it. I want to know what will happen to the characters and how are they going to be develop. I also expect to know more about the world and see more of the support characters.
If you like dystopian novels you would like this one, I also recommended it to YA readers.

Favorite Quotes:
I carry your heart, I carry it on my heart.

I press my hands against my chest, wishing I could somehow be even closer to him. I hate skin. I hate bones and bodies. I want to be curl up inside of him and be carried there forever. (creepy I know, but I like it.) ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Love as a disease to be "cured" for the betterment of society! That intrigues me! This is a well-thought through introduction to a society that we (the reader) only beings to scratch the surface of. While we read of Lena and her family, we learn of the societies restrictions. Much like The Hunger Games and Divergent, you know there is much more to learn of this society's ways and means. The whys and the wherefores. The rhyme and the reason. I look forward to continuing with Pandemonium.

Do you like dystopian societies? Do you like YA? You'll like this!
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
This book/series poses a very interesting concept: Is love a disease? Is love the cause of all of the worlds problems, something to be eradicated, feared? Or can love truly exist as a beautiful thing, in a world where people coexist harmoniously? Does love have to mean pain and heartache, or can love be happiness and joy?

In the beginning, I almost felt like maybe Lena was a bit shallow and self-centered. She just wanted the cure. The same cure that did all of those horrible things to her mother and took everything away from her. But she didn't see it that way. She saw it as salvation. If only she really knew what she was signing up for, huh?

Hana was the ultimate party girl and probably one of my favorite characters in the book.

The evolution of this characters and the world-building that took place was amazing. I felt instantly connected to the story. It takes place in the current time, but in an alternate world. I could so easily picture that being the true case as we watch the news debate gay marriage and things like that that define what is right and just and moral in the world. Because, of course, we fear the unknown. We are taught that that which is different or not the same as everything else, the unknown, is frightening and scary and something to be avoided at all costs, right?

But there is a beauty underneath the story, in the subtext, that you almost have to dig deep to see. It is so worth it though. I urge every teenager, every adult, every HUMAN to read this book. It will make you look at things in a whole new light, and re-evaluate everything you have ever known about love and relationships. It was utterly mind-blowing. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drew, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaikille niille, jotka ovat joskus tartuttaneet minuun
amor deliria nervosan –
tiedätte kyllä, keitä olette.
Ja niille, jotka tartutatte minut tulevaisuudessa –
en malta odottaa nähdäkseni keitä te olette.
Ja kummassakin tapauksessa:
Kiitos.
It has been sixty-four years since the president and the Consortium identified love as a disease, and forty-three since the scientists perfected a cure.

There was a time when love was the most important thing in the world. People would go to the end of the earth to find it. They would tell lies for it. Even kill for it.

Then, at last, they found the cure.

Now, everything is different. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Haloway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But then, with only ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable
Love is bad for you.
A cure is necessary.
Will Lena survive?
{wegc}

Lena looks forward to receiving the government-mandated cure that prevents the delirium of love and leads to a safe, predictable, and happy life, until ninety-five days before her eighteenth birthday and her treatment, she falls in love.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Delirium by Lauren Oliver was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,137,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible