Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Authors:Lauren Oliver
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:****1/2

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Matched by Ally Condie (foggidawn)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Kerian)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (BeckyJG)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (Kerian, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these intense dystopian novels, teenage girls start to question the life-changing operation their oppressive government mandates for teens. Both girls redefine their values and grapple with the possibility of escaping to a rebellious colony in the wilderness.… (more)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (BeckyJG)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (kaledrina)
    Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky (Kritik)
    Kritik: Dystopia
    Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (keeneam)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)
    Girl Parts by John M. Cusick (kaledrina)
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (kaledrina)
    A Very Private Life by Michael Frayn (atreic)
    atreic: Both these books have a teenage protagonist who breaks out of her distopian existance because they suddenly fall in love...

English (446)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (452)
LOVE is a Disease... I tried to listen to the audio of this three different times and each time I never made it past disc one so I'm officially DNF'ing it. I just don't care to hear anything about love or love sick people. Ughh - definitely not my thing!
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
Readers will be held spellbound by the captivating, intense and breathtakingly romantic novel that is Delirium by Lauren Oliver. In a world where love is a disease and banned for the safety of the people all Lena wants is to lay low and get a good score on her evaluation so she can set up a good life after she is cured, but when handsome Alex bursts into her life her falling love may just be inevitable. I loved everything about this book and it is hard to pick what I loved the most but in trying to provide an explanation of how amazing this book is I would pick the excerpts from the rewritten history books and laws at the beginning of every chapter. These excerpts make the world completely believable and really well built. Romance in this novel was amazing and made me feel all the feels! I have to say I have never been more on the edge of my seat with character development than with this book. I was crying and screaming at my book trying to tell the characters what to do! Of course everything was perfectly timed in this novel and Lauren Oliver may just be one of my new favorite authors. I would highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone because it is amazing! ( )
  rebeccabarer | Aug 22, 2016 |
Wow. That is so not how I thought this book would end. And it's book #1 in a series ... I can't wait to see what's next. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
The ending was kind of a letdown, but other than that, I really liked it. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Interesting idea. Way better in the second half, but it's the ole girl falls in love with boy after two minutes and only after seeing him with his top off and admiring his rippling muscles scenario. Boy has been worshipping from afar and he becomes her saviour. In the end, he even sacrifices himself to save her. Whoopee Doo! ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drew, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The most dangerous sicknesses are those that make us believe we are well.

--Proverb 42, The Book of Shhh
For all the people who have infected me with

amor deliria nervosa in the past--

you know who you are.

For the people who will infect me in the future--

I can't wait to see who you'll be.

And in both cases:

Thank you.
It has been sixty-four years since the president and the Consortium identified love as a disease, and forty-three since the scientists perfected a cure.

There was a time when love was the most important thing in the world. People would go to the end of the earth to find it. They would tell lies for it. Even kill for it.

Then, at last, they found the cure.

Now, everything is different. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Haloway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But then, with only ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable
Love is bad for you.
A cure is necessary.
Will Lena survive?
{wegc}

Lena looks forward to receiving the government-mandated cure that prevents the delirium of love and leads to a safe, predictable, and happy life, until ninety-five days before her eighteenth birthday and her treatment, she falls in love.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Delirium by Lauren Oliver was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,362,488 books! | Top bar: Always visible