Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Authors:Lauren Oliver
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:****1/2

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

English (411)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (417)
Seventeen-year-old Lena is just three months (ninety five days if you want to be exact, which she does) away from her procedure. The procedure that will save and/or cure her of deliria nervosa--something we currently know as love.

Love is seen as a disease in Lena's world, something to be feared and avoided at all costs. The cure is celebrated and people who lived in before there was a cure are pitied. Delirium is slightly similar to Matched in that there's a world the main character lives in where she believes herself to be happy, an outside world of rarely (if ever) acknowledged people who don't follow the rules of the society, people are paired together for marriage, and there's an unexpected romance that blossoms that brings the character to certain realizations.

Delirium is a fantastic tale, very much worth reading because even if it might have some things in common with Matched it is very much its own book with its own characters and story.

And of all the dystopians published recently, Delirium has probably the most frightening idea of a future society: one that has (all but) eradicated love. And while people have arranged marriages of a sort and count themselves lucky if they never fall in love (as love is a disease), it's not just romantic love they are proud to be rid of, either. Mothers and fathers no longer feel any true affection for their children, siblings can't say they love each other and are distant once they've had their procedure.

Words obviously get you in trouble, but actions will also betray you as not truly 'cured' as well.

A cure that Lena was absolutely sure she wanted, was sure was the right thing until she met Alex and he turned her view of things on its head.

Now, as Lena journeys toward the date of her procedure, readers will go along with her as she discovers more about her world, where she comes from, and maybe where--and who--it is she wants to be at the end.

10/10

read thanks to NetGalley and the publisher
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
I read this book a few years ago but seeing as the first review I ever posted on my blog was Requiem, the last book in the trilogy, it seemed weird to post reviews for the other two but I think I've waited long enough haha.

If you're looking for a dystopian novel with an epic romance you need to read Delirium. This book is all about the couple and while reading I felt like I was in their relationship right along with them. I felt myself falling hard for this book. The beginning is a little slow but once you get past the foundation of the world-building it really picks up. If you want to fall in love, read this book.

Full Review: http://brittanysbookrambles.blogspot.com/2015/04/delirium-delirium-1-by-lauren-o... ( )
  bpress | Apr 20, 2015 |
Good book! ( )
  Audri-Anne | Apr 6, 2015 |
Is love a disease? If we eradicated intense emotions from our psyche, would that solve the world's problems? These are a few of the questions that Lauren Oliver's book Delirium addresses. The main character, Lena Haloway, is a young girl raised in the U.S where love has been declared a dangerous disease, and everyone at the age of eighteen must undergo a procedure called the Cure in order to eliminate it. Lena, at first, is excited and a little nervous about her upcoming procedure until she meets Alex, a boy from the Wilds who makes her question the Cure and what it means to live in a world without love. Oliver does a great job creating a dystopian world through beautiful imagery and enough reality to suspend my disbelief (the book takes place in Portland, Maine and there aren't any major technological advances in households that makes the characters' lives much different from our own). I do wish there had been a bit more world-building so I could visualize more of what things look like in that future, but Oliver's focus on character building sort of distracted me from getting too hung up about it. The book does start off a bit slow for my taste, and it might be hard for some YA readers to get into it at first, but halfway through the pace picks up and never stops. This would make a strong primary text in a unit on dystopian literature to show students the effect human nature can have on society as a whole. ( )
  vroussel | Mar 11, 2015 |
3 ½ Stars

The publisher description of the book summarize pretty well what the book it’s about.
Is set in United States in the future, in a society where love is forbidden and seen as an illness call “amor deliria nervosa”. A society in which every bad thing that ever happened in the world is blame on the deadly decease that Love was.

In the book we meet Lena, who grew up in this society and is eagerly awaiting for her procedure, The Cure, that will cured her forever of getting infected by Deliria (Love), taking from her all her emotions, feelings and anything related to love and affection. The procedure is always done at the 18th birthday, she’s 3 months away. After the surgery all past experiences will lose importance, all friendships and relationships will become like blurs of the past, but she will be cured and will live a life of happiness, order and stability.

All teenagers before graduation are also submit to an Evaluation in which a panel of evaluators decide what you are going to study, who are you going to marry and how many kids you can have. During her Evaluation Lena sees Alex for the first time, who would become her romantic counterpart.

In the book we also meet Hana, Lana’s best friend, and also a product of that society, but with a little bit more curiosity than Lena. Hana infiltrates the world of non-cured, invalids and sympathizers, showing us an underworld society, that lives parallel to the general population of Portland.

The novel is a little bit stereotypical and predictable, girl (Lena) meets boy (Alex) and of course Alex is an Invalid or not cured. As expected Lena gets infected of deliria (falls in love) and starts to reevaluate all her believes and defy society.
This is a dystopian Romeo and Juliet novel. Two young characters that fall in love but their love is prohibited, in this case not by their families but by a repressive social system, with a total lack of individual freedom.

The world Lauren Oliver creates is good but not enough, there were more things that should have been explained about the world that were not. The romance between the main characters is not well developed and their relationship lacks deep. I didn’t get a real sense of who Alex really was and what they (Lana and Alex) love about each other.

Oliver’s writing is impeccable; but the first third of the book the pace was very slow, nothing was happening and it was hard for me to get through it. After that point the pace starts to pick up, towards the end pages it becomes a page turner, ending in a cliffhanger, that will leave you wanting to get your hands in the next installment, “Pandemonium” as soon as is published.

The book is good but it could have been amazing, I hope Ms. Oliver continue with the pace of the last past pages in Pandemonium, I’m sure I’ll read it. I want to know what will happen to the characters and how are they going to be develop. I also expect to know more about the world and see more of the support characters.
If you like dystopian novels you would like this one, I also recommended it to YA readers.

Favorite Quotes:
I carry your heart, I carry it on my heart.

I press my hands against my chest, wishing I could somehow be even closer to him. I hate skin. I hate bones and bodies. I want to be curl up inside of him and be carried there forever. (creepy I know, but I like it.) ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drew, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The most dangerous sicknesses are those that make us believe we are well.

--Proverb 42, The Book of Shhh
For all the people who have infected me with

amor deliria nervosa in the past--

you know who you are.

For the people who will infect me in the future--

I can't wait to see who you'll be.

And in both cases:

Thank you.
It has been sixty-four years since the president and the Consortium identified love as a disease, and forty-three since the scientists perfected a cure.

There was a time when love was the most important thing in the world. People would go to the end of the earth to find it. They would tell lies for it. Even kill for it.

Then, at last, they found the cure.

Now, everything is different. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Haloway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But then, with only ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable
Love is bad for you.
A cure is necessary.
Will Lena survive?
{wegc}

Lena looks forward to receiving the government-mandated cure that prevents the delirium of love and leads to a safe, predictable, and happy life, until ninety-five days before her eighteenth birthday and her treatment, she falls in love.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Delirium by Lauren Oliver was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,298,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible