Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Authors:Lauren Oliver
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:****1/2

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

English (387)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (392)
Hmm..

I liked this book from the beginning to the end. There were a few chapters that seemed repetitive and boring, but overall I did like the story. I did wonder why and how people came to believe that love needed a cure and why it was mandatory. No more freedom of choice? Why did people believe with the cure everyone would be truly happy? Seemed more like going through the motions of a life, rather than living one. I will be picking up the other books soon! I like Lauren Oliver’s style. This is only the second book I have read written by her. ( )
  CinaChilders | Jul 26, 2014 |
I love how this piece of work is giving off a "The Hunger Games"-esque vibe. Maybe because in some ways, Lena is fighting for her life too. She's resisting. She finds ways to break free from everything. From every piece of lie that had been fed to her. USA (specifically Portland: setting of the story) is like Panem with all the strict rules the grip they both have in each and every citizen.
The main theme of the book is: "What if love is a disease? And the cure for love will make you happy and safe forever."
I can't go on and on with this book review because i'm not really good at not giving spoilers.
"I love you. Remember. They cannot take it." ( )
  PamZaragoza | Jun 27, 2014 |
In a word: Yes. Yes to everything about this book. Yes to the characters, to the premise, to the world, to the story. Delirium just blew me away.

The best part about this book is that while it is a “Love story”, per say, it is not just a love story, at least not a romantic one. It’s Lena’s romantic interest that finally pushes her to see that she wants love, but throughout the book we see what happens when love is taken away, not just in romantic relationships but in friendships and families as well.

The writing is beautiful, but I also really loved this book because it’s written in a way that assumes some intelligence from the reader. Aspects such as the family relationships aren’t completely spelled out, but they are insinuated. I love world-building, and it’s here, but in bits and pieces through out the book, which in my opinion, contributes to a much stronger book by the last page.

Review originally posted on my blog at Book.Blog.Bake. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
The story of a dystopian alternative reality...a place and time in which Love has become a disease. The "cure" for the disease is a mandatory lobotomy. Lena is slated for her "Cure" in just 90 days and is excited and ready. One day her life changes and will never be the same. This is the first in a trilogy! ( )
  Dmtcer | Jun 3, 2014 |
This was a cute book. Yes, there were a lot of law enforcement and scary authority figures constantly popping up, but it was still cute. There's a running Romeo and Juliet theme (explicitly acknowledged by the main character, so it isn't cheesy) that really tied the story together. I laughed, I teared up, and I did roll my eyes at parts, but it was good. 3.5 stars. ( )
  frozenplums | May 27, 2014 |

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drew, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaikille niille, jotka ovat joskus tartuttaneet minuun
amor deliria nervosan –
tiedätte kyllä, keitä olette.
Ja niille, jotka tartutatte minut tulevaisuudessa –
en malta odottaa nähdäkseni keitä te olette.
Ja kummassakin tapauksessa:
Kiitos.
It has been sixty-four years since the president and the Consortium identified love as a disease, and forty-three since the scientists perfected a cure.

There was a time when love was the most important thing in the world. People would go to the end of the earth to find it. They would tell lies for it. Even kill for it.

Then, at last, they found the cure.

Now, everything is different. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Haloway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But then, with only ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable
Love is bad for you.
A cure is necessary.
Will Lena survive?
{wegc}

Lena looks forward to receiving the government-mandated cure that prevents the delirium of love and leads to a safe, predictable, and happy life, until ninety-five days before her eighteenth birthday and her treatment, she falls in love.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Delirium by Lauren Oliver was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,696,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible