Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Authors:Lauren Oliver
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:****1/2

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Matched by Ally Condie (foggidawn)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Kerian)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (BeckyJG)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (Kerian, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these intense dystopian novels, teenage girls start to question the life-changing operation their oppressive government mandates for teens. Both girls redefine their values and grapple with the possibility of escaping to a rebellious colony in the wilderness.… (more)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (BeckyJG)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (kaledrina)
    Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky (Kritik)
    Kritik: Dystopia
    Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (keeneam)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)
    Girl Parts by John M. Cusick (kaledrina)
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (kaledrina)
    A Very Private Life by Michael Frayn (atreic)
    atreic: Both these books have a teenage protagonist who breaks out of her distopian existance because they suddenly fall in love...

English (412)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (418)
The concept of love as an illness is very simliar to the SILENCE in the Psy/Changeling series by Nalini Singh.
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
Seventeen-year-old Lena is just three months (ninety five days if you want to be exact, which she does) away from her procedure. The procedure that will save and/or cure her of deliria nervosa--something we currently know as love.

Love is seen as a disease in Lena's world, something to be feared and avoided at all costs. The cure is celebrated and people who lived in before there was a cure are pitied. Delirium is slightly similar to Matched in that there's a world the main character lives in where she believes herself to be happy, an outside world of rarely (if ever) acknowledged people who don't follow the rules of the society, people are paired together for marriage, and there's an unexpected romance that blossoms that brings the character to certain realizations.

Delirium is a fantastic tale, very much worth reading because even if it might have some things in common with Matched it is very much its own book with its own characters and story.

And of all the dystopians published recently, Delirium has probably the most frightening idea of a future society: one that has (all but) eradicated love. And while people have arranged marriages of a sort and count themselves lucky if they never fall in love (as love is a disease), it's not just romantic love they are proud to be rid of, either. Mothers and fathers no longer feel any true affection for their children, siblings can't say they love each other and are distant once they've had their procedure.

Words obviously get you in trouble, but actions will also betray you as not truly 'cured' as well.

A cure that Lena was absolutely sure she wanted, was sure was the right thing until she met Alex and he turned her view of things on its head.

Now, as Lena journeys toward the date of her procedure, readers will go along with her as she discovers more about her world, where she comes from, and maybe where--and who--it is she wants to be at the end.

10/10

read thanks to NetGalley and the publisher
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
I read this book a few years ago but seeing as the first review I ever posted on my blog was Requiem, the last book in the trilogy, it seemed weird to post reviews for the other two but I think I've waited long enough haha.

If you're looking for a dystopian novel with an epic romance you need to read Delirium. This book is all about the couple and while reading I felt like I was in their relationship right along with them. I felt myself falling hard for this book. The beginning is a little slow but once you get past the foundation of the world-building it really picks up. If you want to fall in love, read this book.

Full Review: http://brittanysbookrambles.blogspot.com/2015/04/delirium-delirium-1-by-lauren-o... ( )
  bpress | Apr 20, 2015 |
Good book! ( )
  Audri-Anne | Apr 6, 2015 |
Is love a disease? If we eradicated intense emotions from our psyche, would that solve the world's problems? These are a few of the questions that Lauren Oliver's book Delirium addresses. The main character, Lena Haloway, is a young girl raised in the U.S where love has been declared a dangerous disease, and everyone at the age of eighteen must undergo a procedure called the Cure in order to eliminate it. Lena, at first, is excited and a little nervous about her upcoming procedure until she meets Alex, a boy from the Wilds who makes her question the Cure and what it means to live in a world without love. Oliver does a great job creating a dystopian world through beautiful imagery and enough reality to suspend my disbelief (the book takes place in Portland, Maine and there aren't any major technological advances in households that makes the characters' lives much different from our own). I do wish there had been a bit more world-building so I could visualize more of what things look like in that future, but Oliver's focus on character building sort of distracted me from getting too hung up about it. The book does start off a bit slow for my taste, and it might be hard for some YA readers to get into it at first, but halfway through the pace picks up and never stops. This would make a strong primary text in a unit on dystopian literature to show students the effect human nature can have on society as a whole. ( )
  vroussel | Mar 11, 2015 |

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drew, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The most dangerous sicknesses are those that make us believe we are well.

--Proverb 42, The Book of Shhh
For all the people who have infected me with

amor deliria nervosa in the past--

you know who you are.

For the people who will infect me in the future--

I can't wait to see who you'll be.

And in both cases:

Thank you.
It has been sixty-four years since the president and the Consortium identified love as a disease, and forty-three since the scientists perfected a cure.

There was a time when love was the most important thing in the world. People would go to the end of the earth to find it. They would tell lies for it. Even kill for it.

Then, at last, they found the cure.

Now, everything is different. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Haloway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But then, with only ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable
Love is bad for you.
A cure is necessary.
Will Lena survive?
{wegc}

Lena looks forward to receiving the government-mandated cure that prevents the delirium of love and leads to a safe, predictable, and happy life, until ninety-five days before her eighteenth birthday and her treatment, she falls in love.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Delirium by Lauren Oliver was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,912,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible