The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by…

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle (1990)

by Avi

3,669941,437 (4)52
    Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In both, the protagonist sets out to sea and must show great courage to rectify a grievous mistake that exposes themselves and the crew to great danger. Both excellent reads for the nautically-minded.
    Bloody Jack; Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy by L. A. Meyer (Caramellunacy, la_librarian)
    Caramellunacy: Both of these adventure stories are about a strong girl proving her worth on board a sailing ship. Charlotte shows the crew her mettle despite the fact that she's a girl, and Jacky disguises herself as a boy to escape detection. Both are great stories for those who love nautical stories.… (more)
    Sarah Bishop by Scott O'Dell (SadieReads)
    Women Sailors and Sailors' Women: An Untold Maritime History by David Cordingly (nocowardsoul)
    nocowardsoul: An excellent account of real women sailors, pirates, and others
    Pirates! by Celia Rees (espertus)
    The Escape From Home by Avi (nocowardsoul)
    nocowardsoul: Charlotte and Laurence are pretty similar.
    Pirate Soul by Pat Croce (meggyweg)
    Nothing But The Truth: A Documentary Novel by Avi (gilberts)
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville (meggyweg)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (SadieReads)

Newbery Award

Summary of book
This story takes place in 1832 when a thirteen-year old girl named Charlotte Doyle travels on a ship on her own. Charlotte is travel across the ocean to meet her family. She is naïve and beliefs that the captain, who she thinks is a higher class than the rest of the crew, means he are a better person. Her true friend is older black man named Zachariah, whom she considered to be the lowest class person in the ship. In the end the captain show his true colors and Charlotte is changed forever.

Personal reaction
This story reminded me of the old saying that says not to judge a book from its cover. I use that saying now more than ever as a mother. I remind my children not to judge people.

Extension Idea
Have students write from their own personal experience when they judge or were judge incorrectly. Have them present their work in front of class.
  readcindyread | Nov 11, 2014 |
I loved this book growing up. ( )
  SarahDowning | Oct 17, 2014 |
I loved this book growing up. ( )
  SarahDowning | Oct 17, 2014 |
(5.0)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
Historical Fiction, adventure, pirates, drama, Interest Level: Grade 3, GLE: 5, 2003.

Charlotte Doyle is prepared to voyage home to Rhode Island from her school in England, but she is not prepared for the turmoil she quickly finds herself in aboard her ship. The captain and mutinous crew are caught in a conflict that Charlotte is quickly pulled into. The voyage only becomes worse when she is put on trial for a murder. ( )
  mollyellison | Aug 31, 2014 |
For Elizabeth and Christina
Not every thirteen-year-old girl is accused of murder, brought to trial, and found guilty. (Prologue)
Just before dusk in the late afternoon of June 16, 1832, I found myself walking along the crowded docks of Liverpool, England, following a man by the name of Grummage.
But when a ship is upon the sea, there's but one who rules. As God is to his people, as king to his nation, as father to his family, so is captain to his crew. Sheriff. Judge and jury. He is all. (page 34)

Although I've read the 6th grade Houghton Mifflin story selection many times, this is my first time reading the whole novel. The HM story selection does not do it justice.

This captivating tale of a young girl traveling alone across the Atlantic with a crew full of men intent on mutiny is bound to keep readers spellbound. As Charlotte relates to you her journey aboard the Seahawk from England to America, you see how her experiences shake her beliefs about right and wrong, class, and her place in the world. Filled with intrigue, betrayal, mutiny, and murder, this novel is bound to keep you turning pages!

If you enjoyed this selection, another story from the same time period you may enjoy is "The Giver". Like Charlotte, Jonas finds himself in a situation in which he must challenge himself to find his true place in the world.

A vicious captain, a mutinous crew --
and a young girl caught in the middle

Not every thirteen-year-old girl is accused of murder, brought to trial, and found guilty. But I was just such a girl, and my story is worth relating even if it did happen years ago. Be warned, however: If strong ideas and action offend you, read no more. Find another companion to share your idle hours. For my part I intend to tell the truth as I lived it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:52 -0400)

As the lone "young lady" on a transatlantic voyage in 1832, Charlotte learns that the captain is murderous and the crew rebellious.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,356,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible