The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by…

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle (1990)

by Avi

3,7561021,386 (4)56
    Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In both, the protagonist sets out to sea and must show great courage to rectify a grievous mistake that exposes themselves and the crew to great danger. Both excellent reads for the nautically-minded.
    Bloody Jack; Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy by L. A. Meyer (Caramellunacy, la_librarian)
    Caramellunacy: Both of these adventure stories are about a strong girl proving her worth on board a sailing ship. Charlotte shows the crew her mettle despite the fact that she's a girl, and Jacky disguises herself as a boy to escape detection. Both are great stories for those who love nautical stories.… (more)
    Sarah Bishop by Scott O'Dell (SadieReads)
    Women Sailors and Sailors' Women: An Untold Maritime History by David Cordingly (nocowardsoul)
    nocowardsoul: An excellent account of real women sailors, pirates, and others
    Pirates! by Celia Rees (espertus)
    The Escape From Home by Avi (nocowardsoul)
    nocowardsoul: Charlotte and Laurence are pretty similar.
    Nothing But The Truth: A Documentary Novel by Avi (gilberts)
    Pirate Soul by Pat Croce (meggyweg)
    The Secret Journey by Peg Kehret (Hollerama)
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville (meggyweg)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (SadieReads)

5th grade, goes with explorers unit, female subject, sailing vocab
  LauraNelson | Jul 24, 2015 |
I like the premise of this book. I read it to learn about ships and a bit about the time period. However, I found the heroine unpleasant, and her transformation unbelievable in the short time that was allotted. It is an indulgent book for pre-teen girls who have a spirit of adventure but sets them up with unrealistic expectations. It maybe contributes to the idealistic Gen Y 'the world is your oyster' mentality, especially for younger girls. I did enjoy the prose and story line itself. It was a good read and I did what I set out to with it, which was learn a bit about nautical terms. ( )
  BrittneyRossie | Jun 14, 2015 |
It's been a long time since I read this book, but it has stuck with me for over 10 years.

This was probably the first book that I read cover to cover on my own, for a school assignment. I believe I was 14 or 15, I can't quite remember because it was school and it was so long ago.

I recently bought this book myself, because my mom couldn’t find the ragged copy I had from my teenage days. (It was a hand-me-down from my older brother).

I loved this book, it had a few of my favorite things. Three masted (could have been four I can't remember) schooner,(aka tall ships), the ocean, (I grew up on an Island) and munity.

The tail itself is one of self-discovery and the evils that are all around use. Some as close as, say, a clean cut looking Captain, who is black as tar when you aren't looking.

I'm going to read this book again and add to this review, because there are certain scenes that I remember clearly but I want to know if they’re accurate before wiring any more.

I recommend this book with the hope you will remember that this took place in 1832. Different time, different society.

Until Then

Happy Reading

-Emily
  E.A.Walsh | Jun 11, 2015 |
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle is about a girl sailing across the Atlantic in 1832. The Captain is cruel to his crew, and some men want to stage a mutiny! Poor Charlotte is trapped between angry sailors and tyrannical Captains, and she must use all her wits to survive for a month at sea. Armed with only a knife, can she make it through alive? This book has an interesting and engrossing plot, and Charlotte is a complex character with unique thoughts and troubles. I definitely enjoyed watching her change on the voyage, and so will you! I recommend this book to lovers of historical fiction and fans of Avi. ( )
  nariya.rose | May 20, 2015 |
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle was one of my favorite books as a young girl. I recently re-acquired it so that I can read it again through adult eyes.

The story follows an eventful time in the life of a young woman, Charlotte Doyle, as she sails home to New England from England. The ship she is on, however, is frought with discord amongst the crew and Charlotte not only is a witness to this, but must choose a side. In this choice she finds herself in ways that she had not imagined.

Like most Avi books, this is about a young person doing extraordinary things. And it inspired this little girl to march boldly in to life and be a little less afraid of the rough and tumble parts.

I highly recommend this for young readers as well as adults. ( )
  MuzLibrary | Apr 30, 2015 |
For Elizabeth and Christina
Prologue
Just before dusk in the late afternoon of June 16, 1832, I found myself walking along the crowded docks of Liverpool, England, following a man by the name of Grummage.
But when a ship is upon the sea, there's but one who rules. As God is to his people, as king to his nation, as father to his family, so is captain to his crew. Sheriff. Judge and jury. He is all. (page 34)

Although I've read the 6th grade Houghton Mifflin story selection many times, this is my first time reading the whole novel. The HM story selection does not do it justice.

This captivating tale of a young girl traveling alone across the Atlantic with a crew full of men intent on mutiny is bound to keep readers spellbound. As Charlotte relates to you her journey aboard the Seahawk from England to America, you see how her experiences shake her beliefs about right and wrong, class, and her place in the world. Filled with intrigue, betrayal, mutiny, and murder, this novel is bound to keep you turning pages!

If you enjoyed this selection, another story from the same time period you may enjoy is "The Giver". Like Charlotte, Jonas finds himself in a situation in which he must challenge himself to find his true place in the world.

A vicious captain, a mutinous crew --
and a young girl caught in the middle

Not every thirteen-year-old girl is accused of murder, brought to trial, and found guilty. But I was just such a girl, and my story is worth relating even if it did happen years ago. Be warned, however: If strong ideas and action offend you, read no more. Find another companion to share your idle hours. For my part I intend to tell the truth as I lived it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:31 -0400)

As the lone "young lady" on a transatlantic voyage in 1832, Charlotte learns that the captain is murderous and the crew rebellious.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,435,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible