The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by…

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle (1990)

by Avi

3,7221001,404 (4)55
    Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In both, the protagonist sets out to sea and must show great courage to rectify a grievous mistake that exposes themselves and the crew to great danger. Both excellent reads for the nautically-minded.
    Bloody Jack; Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy by L. A. Meyer (Caramellunacy, la_librarian)
    Caramellunacy: Both of these adventure stories are about a strong girl proving her worth on board a sailing ship. Charlotte shows the crew her mettle despite the fact that she's a girl, and Jacky disguises herself as a boy to escape detection. Both are great stories for those who love nautical stories.… (more)
    Sarah Bishop by Scott O'Dell (SadieReads)
    Women Sailors and Sailors' Women: An Untold Maritime History by David Cordingly (nocowardsoul)
    nocowardsoul: An excellent account of real women sailors, pirates, and others
    Pirates! by Celia Rees (espertus)
    The Escape From Home by Avi (nocowardsoul)
    nocowardsoul: Charlotte and Laurence are pretty similar.
    Nothing But The Truth: A Documentary Novel by Avi (gilberts)
    Pirate Soul by Pat Croce (meggyweg)
    The Secret Journey by Peg Kehret (Hollerama)
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville (meggyweg)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (SadieReads)

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle is about a girl sailing across the Atlantic in 1832. The Captain is cruel to his crew, and some men want to stage a mutiny! Poor Charlotte is trapped between angry sailors and tyrannical Captains, and she must use all her wits to survive for a month at sea. Armed with only a knife, can she make it through alive? This book has an interesting and engrossing plot, and Charlotte is a complex character with unique thoughts and troubles. I definitely enjoyed watching her change on the voyage, and so will you! I recommend this book to lovers of historical fiction and fans of Avi. ( )
  nariya.rose | May 20, 2015 |
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle was one of my favorite books as a young girl. I recently re-acquired it so that I can read it again through adult eyes.

The story follows an eventful time in the life of a young woman, Charlotte Doyle, as she sails home to New England from England. The ship she is on, however, is frought with discord amongst the crew and Charlotte not only is a witness to this, but must choose a side. In this choice she finds herself in ways that she had not imagined.

Like most Avi books, this is about a young person doing extraordinary things. And it inspired this little girl to march boldly in to life and be a little less afraid of the rough and tumble parts.

I highly recommend this for young readers as well as adults. ( )
  MuzLibrary | Apr 30, 2015 |
This book is about an adventurous 13-year-old girl named Charlotte Doyle. Charlotte leaves her home in Liverpool to ride the legendary, and dangerous, ship, "SEAHALK", to Rhode Island. Many people warn her not to ride the strange ship, but her own father told her to ride it, and that it was safe. And she boarded it. So when Charlotte's new friend, Zachariah, gives her a dagger for safety, she is confused. But she will soon find out why she has it. So, will Charlotte be able to cross safely aboard the SEAHALK? I liked this book because it was very suspenseful. I also DIDN'T like it because the chapters were too long and the beggining was boring. I recommend this book to people who like mystery and crime books. ( )
  rhea.rose | Apr 13, 2015 |
Personal Response-- I enjoyed this novel because the main character was the underdog and she proved everyone wrong. I liked that I learned a few words about sailing and customs in the early America days. The plot was fast paced and you sympathized with many characters. Race was an issue and the main character Charlotte didn't let that affect her opinion. I love books that make you angry at certain characters because you related with the heroine of the novel.

Curricular Connections- Anti bullying and justice could be discussed. What is a fair justice system? What are the proper ways to handle difficult situations so that all is fair and equal. Discuss male and female roles and how that evolved over time in the novel and in our actual human history. ( )
  amy.wesen | Mar 2, 2015 |
What ages would I recommend it too? – Twelve and up.

Length? – A couple day’s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – England to America on board a ship in 1832.

Written approximately? – 1990.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – No.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? Many children today would be confused about the lack of cell phones, and the length of time it took to cross the ocean.

Short storyline: Charlotte leaves England on board a troubled ship with a skeleton crew. Along the way she makes friends, enemies, and joins the crew. Upon her arrival in America, she is no longer the frightened picture perfect little girl her parents left in England. She is mature, knows what she wants and needs, speaks her mind, and is not afraid to be useful in the family.

Notes for the reader: ( )
  AprilBrown | Feb 25, 2015 |
For Elizabeth and Christina
Prologue
Just before dusk in the late afternoon of June 16, 1832, I found myself walking along the crowded docks of Liverpool, England, following a man by the name of Grummage.
But when a ship is upon the sea, there's but one who rules. As God is to his people, as king to his nation, as father to his family, so is captain to his crew. Sheriff. Judge and jury. He is all. (page 34)

Although I've read the 6th grade Houghton Mifflin story selection many times, this is my first time reading the whole novel. The HM story selection does not do it justice.

This captivating tale of a young girl traveling alone across the Atlantic with a crew full of men intent on mutiny is bound to keep readers spellbound. As Charlotte relates to you her journey aboard the Seahawk from England to America, you see how her experiences shake her beliefs about right and wrong, class, and her place in the world. Filled with intrigue, betrayal, mutiny, and murder, this novel is bound to keep you turning pages!

If you enjoyed this selection, another story from the same time period you may enjoy is "The Giver". Like Charlotte, Jonas finds himself in a situation in which he must challenge himself to find his true place in the world.

A vicious captain, a mutinous crew --
and a young girl caught in the middle

Not every thirteen-year-old girl is accused of murder, brought to trial, and found guilty. But I was just such a girl, and my story is worth relating even if it did happen years ago. Be warned, however: If strong ideas and action offend you, read no more. Find another companion to share your idle hours. For my part I intend to tell the truth as I lived it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:52 -0400)

As the lone "young lady" on a transatlantic voyage in 1832, Charlotte learns that the captain is murderous and the crew rebellious.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,216,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible