The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by…

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle (1990)

by Avi

3,545901,493 (4)52
    Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In both, the protagonist sets out to sea and must show great courage to rectify a grievous mistake that exposes themselves and the crew to great danger. Both excellent reads for the nautically-minded.
    Bloody Jack; Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy by L. A. Meyer (Caramellunacy, la_librarian)
    Caramellunacy: Both of these adventure stories are about a strong girl proving her worth on board a sailing ship. Charlotte shows the crew her mettle despite the fact that she's a girl, and Jacky disguises herself as a boy to escape detection. Both are great stories for those who love nautical stories.… (more)
    Sarah Bishop by Scott O'Dell (SadieReads)
    Women Sailors and Sailors' Women: An Untold Maritime History by David Cordingly (nocowardsoul)
    nocowardsoul: An excellent account of real women sailors, pirates, and others
    Pirates! by Celia Rees (espertus)
    The Escape From Home by Avi (nocowardsoul)
    nocowardsoul: Charlotte and Laurence are pretty similar.
    Pirate Soul by Pat Croce (meggyweg)
    Nothing But The Truth: A Documentary Novel by Avi (gilberts)
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville (meggyweg)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (SadieReads)

I read this book when I was in elementary school. The highest reading group read it and I always listened to them talking about it, so I decided to read it. I never understood why I wasn't put in that reading group, especially after I enjoyed reading that book so much in fifth grade. I loved the book then and I still enjoyed reading it now. I actually noticed a theme while I was reading it that I had not noticed when I read it when I was younger: gender roles. The emphasis that is placed on Charlotte knowing her station and her place as a young girl was there for a reason, and when Charlotte ends up joining the crew, it is viewed as something that would never be done. One part of the book where this theme really stuck out was when Charlotte was on trial for murdering Mr. Hollybrass, the first mate. Captain Jaggery argues that her place on the crew is unnatural, while Charlotte calls it unusual: "'Is the way your dress unnatural?' 'Not for the work I do...' 'What work is that?' 'As a member of the crew.' 'Is being a crew member not unnatural for a girl?' "Unusual,' I insisted. 'Not unnatural.'" At this moment she recognizes that she has proved herself as a sailor and women are just as capable as men of doing manual labor on a ship. She knows what she can do and societal norms will not keep her from what she enjoys doing. Personally, I enjoy books that go against society's expectations, so finding this aspect in this book was a treat. I also liked how developed and strong the main character, Charlotte, is, and how she stands up for what she believes is right, even if it causes her to break the rules that she is supposed to follow. An example of when this happens is when she attempts to get Captain Jaggery to stop flogging Zachariah, who had been kind to her the moment she walked onto the Seahawk. One of the big ideas of this book is you never know how strong you are until it is your only option. This is exhibited when Charlotte finds out she will be travelling alone and she leaves her comfort zone and interacts with the crew and when she decides to join the crew and has to climb the tallest mast alone. ( )
  lstec2 | Apr 8, 2014 |
In my opinion, this is an excellent book. I liked that this book was written in first person point of view. Being written in first person point of view allowed the reader to really get to know the narrator, which in this book is Charlotte. This book is very descriptive and uses a lot of imagery, making it very easy to picture everything that happened in the book. For example, “It extended the full width of the Seahawk. And I found I could stand up in it with room to spare. The walls were richly paneled and hung with miniatures and pretty pastoral prints of dear England. On the back wall—stern of the ship—there was a row of windows, below which stood a handsome stuffed sofa. A desk with neatly stacked charts and nautical instruments in velvet boxes faced it on the starboard wall.” I liked that the plot in this story was very suspenseful, and kept the reader interested. Each chapter ended with cliffhanger, begging the reader to read more. For example, chapter 6 ends like this… “I shrieked. The next moment the candle went out and I was plunged into utter darkness.” The central message of this book is that Life is not a straight path, because the people you meet and the events that happen can change the direction you are going in. Charlotte was from a wealth family, and when she got to America her family was able to give her everything and anything she wanted. But after being home, she realized that it was not the life she wanted to live, and choose to go back and work on ship that brought her to America. The book ends with this quote, “A sailor chooses the wind that takes the ship from safe port... but winds have a mind of their own.” ( )
  kjacks26 | Mar 30, 2014 |
This book inspired me to write realistic stories about girl heroines, and the voyage at sea captured my imagination ( )
  CallMeChristina | Mar 23, 2014 |
Charlotte Doyle is traveling across the sea from England to America where she soon realizes the life abroad she's exposed to different cultures and rules
  bmmander | Dec 2, 2013 |
It was a great coming of age story; very adventurous and intriguing. Most of all I liked that fact that it allowed the protagonist to make her own decisions and 'follow her own wind'. I agree with the message the author is trying to send. The only issue I had was that it was not as detailed as it could have been, and some parts simply did not seem like they would happen in the fashion that they did. Overall, I would highly recommend this novel to anyone; though it would be more suitable for younger girls. ( )
  bposinger | Nov 4, 2013 |
For Elizabeth and Christina
Not every thirteen-year-old girl is accused of murder, brought to trial, and found guilty. (Prologue)
Just before dusk in the late afternoon of June 16, 1832, I found myself walking along the crowded docks of Liverpool, England, following a man by the name of Grummage.
But when a ship is upon the sea, there's but one who rules. As God is to his people, as king to his nation, as father to his family, so is captain to his crew. Sheriff. Judge and jury. He is all. (page 34)

Although I've read the 6th grade Houghton Mifflin story selection many times, this is my first time reading the whole novel. The HM story selection does not do it justice.

This captivating tale of a young girl traveling alone across the Atlantic with a crew full of men intent on mutiny is bound to keep readers spellbound. As Charlotte relates to you her journey aboard the Seahawk from England to America, you see how her experiences shake her beliefs about right and wrong, class, and her place in the world. Filled with intrigue, betrayal, mutiny, and murder, this novel is bound to keep you turning pages!

If you enjoyed this selection, another story from the same time period you may enjoy is "The Giver". Like Charlotte, Jonas finds himself in a situation in which he must challenge himself to find his true place in the world.

A vicious captain, a mutinous crew --
and a young girl caught in the middle

Not every thirteen-year-old girl is accused of murder, brought to trial, and found guilty. But I was just such a girl, and my story is worth relating even if it did happen years ago. Be warned, however: If strong ideas and action offend you, read no more. Find another companion to share your idle hours. For my part I intend to tell the truth as I lived it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:52 -0400)

As the lone "young lady" on a transatlantic voyage in 1832, Charlotte learns that the captain is murderous and the crew rebellious.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,628,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible