Fancy Nancy: Spectacular Spectacles by Jane…

Fancy Nancy: Spectacular Spectacles (2010)

by Jane O'Connor

Fancy Nancy and the Sensational Babysitter by Jane O'Connor (EMcNeill04)
    EMcNeill04: Both books encourage coping with new experiences with young readers.

These series of books is really clever. I'd never heard of them before I read this book. The story itself is about something that maybe a child is going through, like this one is about getting glasses. It makes it sound fun and exciting instead of scary or weird. And then throughout the story, there are "fancy" words that are introduced. It is a larger word that is used in place of a shorter similar word. And then at the back they show them again and their meaning. This is a great way to beef up kids vocabularies in a fun way.
  ediekm1990 | May 27, 2014 |
I am a fan of Fancy Nancy stories because before each story I have noticed that there is a different vocabulary set of words that the reader has to know before they read each story. Throughout the different Fancy Nancy stories Nancy has the same friend named bree and they go through different experiences during each story. In this particular story Bree’s eyes hurt a lot in class and Nancy thinks thatshe needs glasses, when bree doesn’t show up to school she wonders about nancy and whether she is going to get to glasses. This would be a great story to engage my students with predictions. I also like this story because I have witnessed students get made fun of in class for wearing glasses and this story almost celebrates brees new glasses as something really cool. ( )
  bnlmoore | Nov 27, 2012 |
It this book Nancy's best friend Bree has troubles with her eyes, they hurt a lot. Bree has to go to the eye doctor. Nancy and Bree sends notes to each other through a basket between their houses. Bree is excited to show Nancy a surprise and Nancy is excited to see what it is. When Nancy goes over to Bree's house she learns that Bree has new reading glasses. Her glasses are lavender and glittery with a silver case. Bree tells her class all about the eye doctors and her glasses. Her teacher tells her how nice the glasses look and Bree wears them for math and library. Nancy is envious of the glasses and begins to wonder if she needs some. She thinks that everything at home is blurry and tries to read in the dark, hoping to make her eye sight worse. Her mom reminds her that she is lucky to have good eyes. Nancy decides that she will get her old sunglasses and pop the other lens out and make her own fancy pretend glasses.
  lane4348 | Apr 10, 2011 |
For Rob, who finally got spectacles --J.O'C.

For my sister Erica, who sees us all with such clarity --R.P.G.

Re: Spectacles, the otherwise wise Ms. Marker was incorrectable. --T.E.
Bree can't come over after school today.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006188264X, Paperback)

Nancy thinks that Bree's new glasses are simply spectacular. After all, they are lavender. They are glittery. And best of all, they come in a silver case. So when Bree tells Nancy all about her trip to the eye doctor, Nancy can't help but wonder if her own eyesight is perhaps getting a little blurry too. . . .

With a glossary of Fancy Nancy's Fancy Words in the back, this addition to the Fancy Nancy I Can Read series is sure to delight young readers everywhere!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:50 -0400)

When Nancy's friend Bree gets some glittery glasses to help her see better, Nancy, who likes to be fancy, wants to wear glasses too.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,513,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible