The Land of Painted Caves by Jean M. Auel

The Land of Painted Caves (2011)

by Jean M. Auel

Series: Earth's Children (6)

Recently added byGSLulos, Book-Elf, bethlakshmi, ivconsack, private library, courtoftheair, drachenbraut23, Spurts

English (83)  French (3)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (89)
It took me forever to get through this book. It was even more tedious than Plains of Passage, if that's even possible. The same things were said over and over and over ad nauseam. Honestly, it could have been about 400 pages shorter. The story didn't even pick up until the last several chapters and even then the ending left me unsatisfied. All I could think was, ""Six books, 30-some years, and this is how it ends? Really?!!""
  kjpmcgee | Sep 9, 2015 |
Over 750 pages and I gave it one star! So why did I read the whole thing? I think I have this perverse need for closure and I have read all the other books in the series. I started in the early 80's when Clan of the Cave Bear was first published and I read the other three in the series as they came out. I would never consider them great literature, but I enjoyed the story line. It tells the story of Ayla, who as a four year old child, lost her Cro-Magnon family in an earthquake and was raised by Neanderthals. The first four books relate how she was expelled by her adoptive tribe, lived alone, learned to hunt and tame wild animals, and eventually met and came to live with a "more advanced" Cro-Magnon man and learned his language and the ways of his people.
But this last book...bleah! bleah! bleah!!!!! The author says the same thing over and over and over. Every time Ayla comes to a pond and sees the cattail plant, the reader has to endure a narration of how useful the plant is for food, clothing, weaving, padding, stuffing, etc. Later when she comes to another pond, we read how useful the plant is for food, clothing, weaving, padding, stuffing, etc. And then she comes to another pond and......you get the picture?

I should have counted the number of caves they visited and how many times they saw a bison drawing, or a cave bear or a lion and hey, there's another bison.... no! wait! there are TWO bison and THREE bears and FOUR lions! Wow! I can't wait until we get to the next cave and the next and the next and the next! I could see myself running from the cave screaming for someone to end the misery and let that lion become real and devour Ayla.

You may have noticed that I have not written about the plot of this fianl installment of the series. Well, that is because THERE IS NO PLOT!!!!
Can you tell I am disappointed? I was never so glad to finish a book. This book is on the Best Seller List so I was worried that I must have missed something. I checked out Amazon ratings and I am not sure that I have ever seen a book that has received so many one star ratings. Consider yourself warned! ( )
1 vote TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
I think what fascinates me about this series is the detail of the people's lives. The story is almost not important, and that did make this volume drag through the second part where Ayla is visiting caves on her "Donier Tour". But I really enjoy imagining what people ate and drank, how they made things without metal or plastics or even pottery, and what their societies might have been like. ( )
  Pferdina | Mar 29, 2015 |
There is an immense amount of detail in each chapter of this story. Occasionally the detail makes dialogue cumbersome or feels a little repetitive. However, I find it very comforting--the circumstances in each situation were fully described and considered, and the motives of the characters were made abundantly clear. Even the dangerous scenes were tempered with analysis. I like context and careful thought, so I found this book to be a relaxing experience. ( )
1 vote TrgLlyLibrarian | Feb 1, 2015 |
This was really tedious with all the repetitions both within and from previous books. I don't mind detail of world building and everyday life; I like that in this series overall, but nobody needs to be told events that happened previously again and again. An editor should have cut a lot of this. ( )
1 vote ratcreature | Dec 20, 2014 |
Among modern epic spinners, Auel has few peers. And readers need not worry: There are enough loose ends to feed a half-dozen more books. We’ll hope to see more, magic mushrooms or no.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 2011)

Jean M. Auelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KjellTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wood, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
First born, last cited, always loved,
and for FRANK,
who stands by her side,
and for AMELIA and BRET, ALECIA, and EMORY,
fine young adults,
with love
The band of travellers walked along the path between the clear sparkling water of Grass River and the black-streaked white limestone cliff, following the trail that paralleled the right bank.

From the jacket:

Ayla, Jondelar and Jonayla are living with the Zelandonii in the Ninth Cave - a shelter of stone. Ayla has been chosen as an acolyte and has embarked on an arduous task of training to become a spiritual leader. It is a daunting, often perilous work that sometimes takes her away from her family. Ayla, Jondalar, and Jonayla are welcomed by the Zelandonii, but problems arise.
They are faced with new challenges, not just the ordinary trials of sheer survival, but the complications posed by many groups of people who need to live and work together. the wisdom that Ayla gained from her struggles as an orphaned child, alone in a hostile environment, strengthens her as she moves closer to leadership of the Zelandonia.

Ayla and Jondalar's first priority is the care for their golden-haird child, Jonayla, and the well-being of their amazing animals Wolf, Whinney, Racer and Gray. The two participate in hunts to provide food, in travels to Summer Meetings for decision making, and in social activities. Whatever the obstacles, Ayla's inventive spirit produces new ways to lessen the difficulties of daily life; searching for wild edibles to make delicious meals, experimenting with techniques to ease the long journeys the Zelandonii must take, honing her skills as a healer and a leader. And then, there are the Sacred Caves, the caves that Ayla's mentor - the Donier, the First of the Zelandonia - takes her to see. These caves are filled with remarkable art - paintings of mammoths, lions, auroches, rhinoceros, reindeer, bison, bear. the powerful, mystical aura within these caves dominates overwhelms Ayla.
Ayla's final preparation for her initiation as a Zelandonie Bring The Land of the Painted Caves to a riveting climax. So much time apart from Jondalar has caused him to drift away from her. The rituals themselves bring her close to death. But through those rituals, Ayla gains a Gift of Knowledge so important that it will change the world.

The highly anticipated sixth book of Jean Auel's Earth's Children® series, The Land of Painted Caves, is the culmination fans have been waiting for. Continuing the story of Ayla and Jondalar, Auel combines her brilliant narrative skills and appealing characters with a remarkable re-creation of the way life was lived more than 25,000 years ago. The Land of Painted Caves is an exquisite achievement by one of the world's most beloved authors.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:46 -0400)

Ayla struggles to find a balance between her duties as a new mother and her training to become a Zelandoni -- one of the Ninth Cave community's spiritual leaders and healers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,954,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible