The Land of Painted Caves by Jean M. Auel

The Land of Painted Caves (2011)

by Jean M. Auel

Series: Earth's Children (6)

Recently added bySclinzi, PriPri77, Carrosh, shapedance, loomis22, gahoward67, Krild13, SRose27, private library

English (89)  French (3)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (95)
I do like Jean Auel's books even if they tend to be excessively wordy.
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
Well, clearly Ms. Auel put a lot of work and effort into this. BUT...I agree with the other comments. It is such a shame this book wasn't edited well. This could have been an enjoyable book at 250 to 300 pages. As it is, I really can't recommend it. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
By the time I reached this book, I had to find out what happened to Ayla and Jondalar, so there would have been little that could have stopped me. I was not disappointed.
  Lylee | Apr 3, 2016 |
The last of the series. I think that I read the first one over 20 years ago. I think that this series is an education in human history. Very detailed dialogue, but interesting story and characters to the end. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
I have long been a fan of the Earth's Children series (the first two books in particular) and because this book is the final one, I give it 3 stars, given the context with the others. By itself, I would give it 2. My main problem was the utter repetetiveness - how many times can one repeat the same handful of facts over and over? A lot, as it turned out. A number of incidents from previous books are being reiterated, and, this being the final book, I wouldn't mind that. Once. However, when the same thing is being explained over and over, in much the same words, it becomes tedious. The endless introductions alone are enough to turn you off the story. The middle of the book deals largely with Ayla visiting the many painted caves in the region, they are beautifully described and I enjoyed that part, although I can see that some readers might find it a bit much. There is not much of a plot as such until the end, and even then the events have actually been played out in exactly the same way in previous books. The descriptions of everyday life and the landscape are as beautiful and impressive as ever, but a bit of a story would have been nice. I would have hoped for a better finale for this series. ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
Among modern epic spinners, Auel has few peers. And readers need not worry: There are enough loose ends to feed a half-dozen more books. We’ll hope to see more, magic mushrooms or no.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 2011)

Jean M. Auelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KjellTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wood, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For RAEANN
First born, last cited, always loved,
and for FRANK,
who stands by her side,
and for AMELIA and BRET, ALECIA, and EMORY,
fine young adults,
with love
The band of travellers walked along the path between the clear sparkling water of Grass River and the black-streaked white limestone cliff, following the trail that paralleled the right bank.

From the jacket:

Ayla, Jondelar and Jonayla are living with the Zelandonii in the Ninth Cave - a shelter of stone. Ayla has been chosen as an acolyte and has embarked on an arduous task of training to become a spiritual leader. It is a daunting, often perilous work that sometimes takes her away from her family. Ayla, Jondalar, and Jonayla are welcomed by the Zelandonii, but problems arise.
They are faced with new challenges, not just the ordinary trials of sheer survival, but the complications posed by many groups of people who need to live and work together. the wisdom that Ayla gained from her struggles as an orphaned child, alone in a hostile environment, strengthens her as she moves closer to leadership of the Zelandonia.

Ayla and Jondalar's first priority is the care for their golden-haird child, Jonayla, and the well-being of their amazing animals Wolf, Whinney, Racer and Gray. The two participate in hunts to provide food, in travels to Summer Meetings for decision making, and in social activities. Whatever the obstacles, Ayla's inventive spirit produces new ways to lessen the difficulties of daily life; searching for wild edibles to make delicious meals, experimenting with techniques to ease the long journeys the Zelandonii must take, honing her skills as a healer and a leader. And then, there are the Sacred Caves, the caves that Ayla's mentor - the Donier, the First of the Zelandonia - takes her to see. These caves are filled with remarkable art - paintings of mammoths, lions, auroches, rhinoceros, reindeer, bison, bear. the powerful, mystical aura within these caves dominates overwhelms Ayla.
Ayla's final preparation for her initiation as a Zelandonie Bring The Land of the Painted Caves to a riveting climax. So much time apart from Jondalar has caused him to drift away from her. The rituals themselves bring her close to death. But through those rituals, Ayla gains a Gift of Knowledge so important that it will change the world.

The highly anticipated sixth book of Jean Auel's Earth's Children® series, The Land of Painted Caves, is the culmination fans have been waiting for. Continuing the story of Ayla and Jondalar, Auel combines her brilliant narrative skills and appealing characters with a remarkable re-creation of the way life was lived more than 25,000 years ago. The Land of Painted Caves is an exquisite achievement by one of the world's most beloved authors.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:46 -0400)

Ayla struggles to find a balance between her duties as a new mother and her training to become a Zelandoni -- one of the Ninth Cave community's spiritual leaders and healers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,719,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible