Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Land of Painted Caves (with Bonus…

The Land of Painted Caves (with Bonus Content): Earth's Children, Book Six (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Jean M. Auel (Author)

Series: Earth's Children (6)

2,2041045,044 (3)74
Ayla is training to become a Zelandoni, one of the community's spiritual leaders and healers. She becomes the acolyte to the Zelandoni for the Ninth Cave and begins the series of intensive journeys that are part of the sacred training. But as she struggles to find a balance between her calling and her duties as a new mother, her pursuits begin to take a toll on her relationship with Jondalar.… (more)
Member:zardox
Title:The Land of Painted Caves (with Bonus Content): Earth's Children, Book Six
Authors:Jean M. Auel (Author)
Info:Bantam (2011), 770 pages
Tags:Historical

The Land of Painted Caves by Jean M. Auel (2011)

The Breaking of Northwall by Paul O. Williams (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: I found a similar atmosphere between these series despite their broader dissimilarities (genre, period): societies that are simultaneously primitive but mostly benevolent, and heroes of uncommon ingenuity who unite societies. The same feel-good tone.
    Tell Me Who I Am by Julia Navarro (albavirtual)

English (98)  French (3)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (104)
DNF I listened to the first three and the last one of the 29 CDs. My complaints are the same as the others here.

Loved the first two books but this book just described and described and I felt there was no story to follow. I hated Ayla's voice in this audiobook. It reminded me of a vampire. I'm pretty darn sure it's the same narrator for the other books. I listened to book 1 multiple times and Ayla's voice was great.

I don't feel like spending anymore time on the story.

DNF

Seayla2020 | Nov 21, 2020 |
6e volum dela fills de ls terra
  stJosep | Mar 25, 2020 |
Got about half way through the first (of five) Audible files. Each one is about 9 hours long.

YAWN. Never mind. Too many other things I want to read right now. ( )
  CiaraCat | Jan 9, 2020 |
This took me almost a year to get through. I kept putting it down and picking up something else. It really REALLY should have been about a quarter of the size and it would have been good. Endless descriptions of images painted in caves for hundreds of pages... it should have been one non-fiction book WITH PICTURES, and another fiction book with NARRATIVE and then the work that went into this may have been worth it. Seriously, for a series that was quite enjoyable for the most part this book (and the previous) were just quite disappointing. ( )
  waltandmartha | Dec 3, 2019 |
  waltandmartha | Dec 3, 2019 |
Among modern epic spinners, Auel has few peers. And readers need not worry: There are enough loose ends to feed a half-dozen more books. We’ll hope to see more, magic mushrooms or no.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 2011)

Jean M. Auelprimary authorall editionscalculated
Risvik, KjellTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wood, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For RAEANN
First born, last cited, always loved,
and for FRANK,
who stands by her side,
and for AMELIA and BRET, ALECIA, and EMORY,
fine young adults,
with love
The band of travellers walked along the path between the clear sparkling water of Grass River and the black-streaked white limestone cliff, following the trail that paralleled the right bank.

From the jacket:

Ayla, Jondelar and Jonayla are living with the Zelandonii in the Ninth Cave - a shelter of stone. Ayla has been chosen as an acolyte and has embarked on an arduous task of training to become a spiritual leader. It is a daunting, often perilous work that sometimes takes her away from her family. Ayla, Jondalar, and Jonayla are welcomed by the Zelandonii, but problems arise.
They are faced with new challenges, not just the ordinary trials of sheer survival, but the complications posed by many groups of people who need to live and work together. the wisdom that Ayla gained from her struggles as an orphaned child, alone in a hostile environment, strengthens her as she moves closer to leadership of the Zelandonia.

Ayla and Jondalar's first priority is the care for their golden-haird child, Jonayla, and the well-being of their amazing animals Wolf, Whinney, Racer and Gray. The two participate in hunts to provide food, in travels to Summer Meetings for decision making, and in social activities. Whatever the obstacles, Ayla's inventive spirit produces new ways to lessen the difficulties of daily life; searching for wild edibles to make delicious meals, experimenting with techniques to ease the long journeys the Zelandonii must take, honing her skills as a healer and a leader. And then, there are the Sacred Caves, the caves that Ayla's mentor - the Donier, the First of the Zelandonia - takes her to see. These caves are filled with remarkable art - paintings of mammoths, lions, auroches, rhinoceros, reindeer, bison, bear. the powerful, mystical aura within these caves dominates overwhelms Ayla.
Ayla's final preparation for her initiation as a Zelandonie Bring The Land of the Painted Caves to a riveting climax. So much time apart from Jondalar has caused him to drift away from her. The rituals themselves bring her close to death. But through those rituals, Ayla gains a Gift of Knowledge so important that it will change the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,671,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible