Snow Dog by Jim Kjelgaard

Snow Dog (1948)

by Jim Kjelgaard

Other authors: Jacob Landau (Illustrator)

199359,063 (4.08)11
    Julie by Jean Craighead George (Book2Dragon)
    Book2Dragon: If you like reading Jim Kjelgaard, you will also love Jean Craighead George's books. Both are excellent storytellers and both have a deep respect and love for both Nature and animals without sentementality.

Engaging story of a trapper, his dogs, a rogue wolf and the wild dog in between them. Good plot, well written, one of Kjelgaard's better books IMHO. A keeper. ( )
  fuzzi | Jun 16, 2012 |
This was a very good book, I have it in my library because my dog shredded the front cover after pulling it off my bookshelf when he was 4 months old. A strange but happy twist, I had to pay for it and I might not have read this lovely book because I had about 15 library books at the time. Well worth reading for anyone. ( )
  softfur | Aug 7, 2009 |
I read Jim Kjelgaard's Big Red as a pre-teen, but then forgot about him until I decided to read more dog books and picked up Snow Dog. Kjelgaard is one of the best writers, not just YA writer I mean, that I have come across, and I have read many books. He is able to introduce a tension in the book that keeps you totally involved in the story. In this book, he does not resolve that tension until the next to the last page. Now that is writing!! Wonderful book, highly recommended. ( )
  Book2Dragon | May 31, 2009 |

Jim Kjelgaardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landau, JacobIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
The two wolves advanced side by side, the one-eyed gray to the left and the black monster to the right. They paused a few feet from the gay dog, looking the field over with all the intelligence of military commanders. The black wolf sat down on his haunches, looking over every inch of the embattled gray dog, probing her strength and her weakness. The wolf grinned fiendishly. They would kill the gray dog.
"The north wind blew low across the snow fields, carrying powder snow before it and piling it on the drifts that lay like long, shadowed fingers in the lee of every tiny rise."

The steel-gray Husky Chiri was just a puppy when he watched the black wolf kill his mother and two brothers. Left alone inthe snow-covered land oof the coyote, caribou, and gizzly, Chiri learned to fend for himself, to hunt and survive by his keen instinct and natural intelligence. Now full-grown and full of courage and cunning, Chiri forms a tentative bond with trapper Link Stevens, the only human he's ever learned to trust. But the Husky knows that one day soon he will have to face the black wolf again--and this time only one of them will survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:38 -0400)

The adventure of a dog born in the wilderness, left to fend for himself when a black wolf kills his mother and brothers, and finally won over by the trapper his mother had deserted.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,510,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible