Blacksad by Juan Díaz Canales

Blacksad

by Juan Díaz Canales, Juanjo Guarnido (Illustrator)

Other authors: Jim Steranko (Introduction)

Series: Blacksad (Omnibus 1-3)

Blacksad: A Silent Hell by Juan Díaz Canales (section241)
    Britten and Brülightly by Hannah Berry (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Both these are comic books of hardboiled detective stories, with a distinctive and interesting drawing style, and a bleakly noir story.

English (24)  Swedish (1)  All languages (25)
Not bad at all, but I could do without the way he draws "women"... all the same sultry things, regarless of species; boring as hell, compared to the uniqueness of the other characters. (Probably fits the genre; does not mean I have to like it.) ( )
  annathecrow | Feb 14, 2019 |
I loved these three Noir type detective stories, and the animalistic characters! Glad I accidentally wandered into the graphic novel section of my library! ( )
  SoubhiKiewiet | Mar 20, 2018 |
A very cool graphic novel! Sort of like if Philip Marlowe was snooping around the back streets of "Zootopia"! I love this kind of noir, and the three stories in here do it justice! The artwork is crisp and engaging and the characters own their roles! The white vs. black "animals" is pretty deep, especially when a young zebra is shown in one of the panels. And any graphic novel that includes an excerpt from "Howl" has got my vote! This is one beautiful collection! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Nov 19, 2017 |
Perhaps the most acclaimed French comic of the new century, Canales and Guarnido cleverly combine the seemingly disparate elements of anthropomorphic animal and 1950s crime fiction into their wholly original creation, Blacksad. Private eye cat John Blacksad uncovers the often filthy depths of mysteries involving child abductions, nuclear secrets, racist hate groups, and of course murder. Guarnido evokes the period through his evocative and elegant art while Canales' script successfully evokes the era's moods and attitudes through a contemporary lens. One of the best books of the year, Blacksad more than deserves its abundant praise. ( )
  rickklaw | Oct 13, 2017 |
I am happy to report that this one finished stronger than it started - a huge thanks to Mark for bringing my attention to this one. Written and drawn in the noir style, John Blacksad is a private detective that is reminiscent of Sam Spade. He plays by his own rules and has his own set of standards. He is not afraid to get his hands dirty. The artwork and the characters in this graphic novel would get a solid five star rating from me. Where it suffers, IMO, is in the writing. The storylines were slightly lacking; they needed more depth. I felt like the plotting could have been tighter with just a little more effort. That being said, the first story is the weakest of the three, so it gets better as you continue. I am hoping that this is the first in a series because I would like to see more. Recommended if you like noir and are a fan of the detective genre. ( )
  Crazymamie | Feb 13, 2016 |

Juan Díaz Canalesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guarnido, JuanjoIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Steranko, JimIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Byron Preiss, who believed in Blacksad
There are mornings when you have trouble digesting your breakfast... especially when you find yourself in front of the dead body of an old flame...
This "Blacksad" is the 3-volume Dark Horse US edition (ISBN 159582393X / 9781595823939), distinct from the first volume of the series (which has a ton of ISBNs in different languages, including the US iBooks edition).

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159582393X, Hardcover)

Private investigator John Blacksad is up to his feline ears in mystery, digging into the backstories behind murders, child abductions, and nuclear secrets. Guarnido's sumptuously painted pages and rich cinematic style bring the world of 1950s America to vibrant life, with Canales weaving in fascinating tales of conspiracy, racial tension, and the "red scare" Communist witch hunts of the time. Guarnido reinvents anthropomorphism in these pages, and industry colleagues no less than Will Eisner, Jim Steranko, and Tim Sale are fans! Whether John Blacksad is falling for dangerous women or getting beaten to within an inch of his life, his stories are, simply put, unforgettable.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:21 -0400)

"Private investigator John Blacksad is up to his feline ears in mystery and intrigue, digging up the backstories behind murders, child abductions, and nuclear secrets during the 1950s Red Scare in the United States" -- p. [4] of cover.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,392,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible