Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Jungle: The Uncensored Original Edition…

The Jungle: The Uncensored Original Edition (1906)

by Upton Sinclair

Recently added byzappbabbit, private library, pbearstina, dartmouthcrew, Firewild, morganoneal, esplanades, areviewer
Legacy LibrariesRobert E. Howard

This was an unexpected book. I absolutely loved this book. It had been on my shelf for a while and picked it up, due to the fact, I am trying to read more classics. This was so so good. Although written many many years ago, it read like a present modern day historical fiction.

Love the story between the main character and his family. It was just a great read. ( )
  Bethgarvinloflin1 | Jul 2, 2018 |
This is one of a handful of books I've read multiple times. And not because of the fascinating, detailed descriptions of the slaughterhouse, but because of the story of Jurgis Rudkus, an immigrant, his wife, Ona, and their family living in Chicago. ( )
  Jinjer.Hundley | Mar 24, 2018 |
i don't read many classics or much "literature" but this was great. maybe the the best book i've ever read! ( )
  mtdewrock | Dec 30, 2017 |
I almost gave up on this one after the first few chapters. However, the story picks up fairly quickly after the wedding scene. This book really makes me grateful for all that I have and would have turned me into a vegetarian if I wasn't one already. It would have gotten four stars from me except that the last few chapters started to lose me with the shift of focus from Jurgis to socialism, since I started to feel as if I was reading a textbook. A bit disjointed at times, but still gutwrenching nonetheless. I will never complain about work again. ( )
  PagesandPints | Sep 1, 2016 |
Extremely good book, and sheds serious light on the atrocities of the time. I feel horrible for those who were forced to trust their government and eat the disgusting meat shelved out to them. ( )
  arpentec | Nov 27, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451524209, Mass Market Paperback)

In this powerful book we enter the world of Jurgis Rudkus, a young Lithuanian immigrant who arrives in America fired with dreams of wealth, freedom, and opportunity. And we discover, with him, the astonishing truth about "packingtown, " the busy, flourishing, filthy Chicago stockyards, where new world visions perish in a jungle of human suffering. Upton Sinclair, master of the "muckraking" novel, here explores the workingman's lot at the turn of the century: the backbreaking labor, the injustices of "wage-slavery, " the bewildering chaos of urban life. "The Jungle," a story so shocking that it launched a government investigation, recreates this startling chapter if our history in unflinching detail. Always a vigorous champion on political reform, Sinclair is also a gripping storyteller, and his 1906 novel stands as one of the most important -- and moving -- works in the literature of social change.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:00 -0400)

The horrifying conditions in the meatpacking industry in the early 1900's are revealed through the experiences of immigrants as they try to make a living by working in the Chicago stockyards.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,479,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible