The Jungle: The Uncensored Original Edition…

The Jungle: The Uncensored Original Edition

by Upton Sinclair

Imagine yourself standing in a puddle of blood, covering the entire floor. All around you is corpses, the dead hanging from the ceiling to bleed dry. The smell is so nauseous you don’t understand how such a disgusting mess turns into food for the people. This isn't a horror story or perhaps it is…

Upton Sinclair has created a jaw dropping story that inspired ACTUAL CHANGE. This was a fictional story with truth woven through it, this truth will make you question your political views, it may even change the way you eat. There was a brief part of this book that had me staring at my dinner plate untouched, which then prompted me to run to my computer and look up the TRUTH behind “The Jungle”. After reading about the change this book inspired (which I barely knew about from the little history I retained), I felt slightly better about things.

However, some of these issues still exist today. We might not throw scraps of rat chewed meat to be sold BUT look at all the controversy today surrounding antibiotic fed livestock, etc. In some ways we may be coming full circle on some of these issues. The treatment of people in the workplace, rules and unions are still struggling to get basic rights (in some circumstances). Clearly, we still have a lot to learn; maybe someone will be brave like Upton and speak out through storytelling to shock the masses. Oh wait… this does exist… in documentary form… all over Netflix.
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
While the story is not something I was riveted by, the beauty of the language kept me interested. The end of the book got a little preachy, but overall, it was an interesting and eye-opening story. ( )
  amyolivia | Oct 25, 2013 |
An excellent book. ( )
  iamamro | Oct 16, 2013 |
I remember thinking "I want to throw up" when I read Sinclair's description of the settings. And then the circumstances got worse for the characters. Then I started feeling nauseous again, until I finally rushed to the bathroom and did it. Sinclair... you're good. ( )
  autumnleaving | Sep 27, 2013 |
Wow. What more can you say about this book? The Jungle was the first "classic" I ever picked up on my own to just read for fun and it really hit me in the gut - no pun intended. The story really brings the nasty reality of life in the early 1900's to life. It also left me wondering how much better the meat processing industry is today.

Don't let the books reputation of being all about meat packing deter you though - the story that surrounds the main character deals with politics and the hard scrabble life in Chicago at the turn of the century. It's a good story to go along with the expose' of the meat industry. ( )
  finalcut | Apr 2, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451524209, Mass Market Paperback)

In this powerful book we enter the world of Jurgis Rudkus, a young Lithuanian immigrant who arrives in America fired with dreams of wealth, freedom, and opportunity. And we discover, with him, the astonishing truth about "packingtown, " the busy, flourishing, filthy Chicago stockyards, where new world visions perish in a jungle of human suffering. Upton Sinclair, master of the "muckraking" novel, here explores the workingman's lot at the turn of the century: the backbreaking labor, the injustices of "wage-slavery, " the bewildering chaos of urban life. "The Jungle," a story so shocking that it launched a government investigation, recreates this startling chapter if our history in unflinching detail. Always a vigorous champion on political reform, Sinclair is also a gripping storyteller, and his 1906 novel stands as one of the most important -- and moving -- works in the literature of social change.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:17 -0400)

The horrifying conditions in the meatpacking industry in the early 1900's are revealed through the experiences of immigrants as they try to make a living by working in the Chicago stockyards.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,959,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible