The Jungle: The Uncensored Original Edition…

The Jungle: The Uncensored Original Edition

by Upton Sinclair

Extremely good book, and sheds serious light on the atrocities of the time. I feel horrible for those who were forced to trust their government and eat the disgusting meat shelved out to them. ( )
  arpentec | Nov 27, 2015 |
Mind-blowing, ass-kicking, as fine a novel by as intelligent a writer as I have experienced. He begins with an innocent hopeful American immigrant, and by no contrived or shortcut process, pulverizes him, crushes him under poverty, illness, death, injustice, crime, foreclosure, despair, vengeance, every minute cruelty as can be packed into a page. He falters only twice: losing his suspension of disbelief when Jurghis accidentally "tours" the governor's mansion, and again losing the reader's loyalty by rescuing Jurghis into the kind and welcoming arms of the socialist movement. He effectively turns the last fifty pages of his book into a manifesto. What he couldn't quite nail through narrative, he abandons narrative to lecture. ( )
  Victor_A_Davis | Sep 18, 2015 |
This book has been very influential to me. But I can't say I "really liked it." ( )
  CassandraT | Oct 10, 2014 |
Imagine yourself standing in a puddle of blood, covering the entire floor. All around you is corpses, the dead hanging from the ceiling to bleed dry. The smell is so nauseous you don’t understand how such a disgusting mess turns into food for the people. This isn't a horror story or perhaps it is…

Upton Sinclair has created a jaw dropping story that inspired ACTUAL CHANGE. This was a fictional story with truth woven through it, this truth will make you question your political views, it may even change the way you eat. There was a brief part of this book that had me staring at my dinner plate untouched, which then prompted me to run to my computer and look up the TRUTH behind “The Jungle”. After reading about the change this book inspired (which I barely knew about from the little history I retained), I felt slightly better about things.

However, some of these issues still exist today. We might not throw scraps of rat chewed meat to be sold BUT look at all the controversy today surrounding antibiotic fed livestock, etc. In some ways we may be coming full circle on some of these issues. The treatment of people in the workplace, rules and unions are still struggling to get basic rights (in some circumstances). Clearly, we still have a lot to learn; maybe someone will be brave like Upton and speak out through storytelling to shock the masses. Oh wait… this does exist… in documentary form… all over Netflix.
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
An excellent book. ( )
  iamamro | Oct 16, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451524209, Mass Market Paperback)

In this powerful book we enter the world of Jurgis Rudkus, a young Lithuanian immigrant who arrives in America fired with dreams of wealth, freedom, and opportunity. And we discover, with him, the astonishing truth about "packingtown, " the busy, flourishing, filthy Chicago stockyards, where new world visions perish in a jungle of human suffering. Upton Sinclair, master of the "muckraking" novel, here explores the workingman's lot at the turn of the century: the backbreaking labor, the injustices of "wage-slavery, " the bewildering chaos of urban life. "The Jungle," a story so shocking that it launched a government investigation, recreates this startling chapter if our history in unflinching detail. Always a vigorous champion on political reform, Sinclair is also a gripping storyteller, and his 1906 novel stands as one of the most important -- and moving -- works in the literature of social change.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:00 -0400)

The horrifying conditions in the meatpacking industry in the early 1900's are revealed through the experiences of immigrants as they try to make a living by working in the Chicago stockyards.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,900,843 books! | Top bar: Always visible