Moja Means One (Picture Puffin) by Muriel…

Moja Means One (Picture Puffin) (edition 1992)

by Muriel Feelings, Tom Feelings (Illustrator)

Member:Kandie1208
Title:Moja Means One (Picture Puffin)
Authors:Muriel Feelings
Other authors:Tom Feelings (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin (1992), Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:Raising A Reader

Moja Means One by Muriel Feelings

I really liked this book because of the way that it tied in African culture with learning to count in the language of Swahili. The introduction of the book starts off by informing the reader why it is important to know Swahili, because it breaks down language barriers in African countries. This was a great way to start out the book because it immediately made the reader feel as if they were in on something important. It would have been easy for the author to write the Swahili counting words and just draw pictures to represent those numbers on each page. This author though takes the opportunity to put a fact on each page that makes the reader more familiar with African culture which is so important. Finally, the illustrations in this book are phenomenal. The illustrations greatly enhance the story by making the reader feel as if they are right there in the action. Overall, this book allows readers to broaden their perspectives on what other cultures look like and what they languages they speak sound like.
  crodge3 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Reading this book made me feel so smart and worldly as a kid.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
Time Machine
4.0 out of 5 stars Moja Means One - a review, May 24, 2005

This is a lovely little book by a couple who have lived and taught in East Africa. They obviously loved the experience because they were inspired to produce this Caldecott winner.

Though the book was written with African-American children in mind, I believe all children can benefit from reading it. Each number is accompanied by a two-page grayscale drawing. The lack of color may be a problem for younger readers. My 3 year-old son, for example, was not interested in a second read-through. My 5 year-old daughter however was intrigued by how African culture (grantedly of the late 1960's) was different from our own. The counting was not of particular interest to us but all of the other aspects of non-urban African life were.

Pictures depicted are snowy Kilimanjaro, a children's game called Mankala, coffee trees, mothers carrying their babies on their backs (which we now do in the US), savanna animals, styles of dress, Nile river fish, busy market stalls, musicians and their instruments, and, at last, a storyteller entrancing young listeners.

My only complaint is that there is not more to this book: more beautiful drawings; and more explanations of the activities that are depicted. Still a nice book for children who seek an introduction to the broader world. ( )
  PamFamilyLibrary | Jul 28, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book very much. It was very informative about the people who speak Kiswahili as well as being a number book. I would read this book to a classroom that is learning about counting and I would incorporate a lesson plan to learning about the people in the book. ( )
  kdufrene | Apr 27, 2015 |
Tales of East African life are depicted in two-page illustrations for each Swahili translation of the counting numbers one through ten. Young children can easily relate to the subject presented with each number as a brief fact is given about African life with the Swahili number and a familiar vocabulary word is highlighted. Children will enjoy practicing the pronunciations and looking at numbers in a new way. It is a beautiful lesson about a different culture and an excellent addition to a child’s library.
  Hiverson | Oct 29, 2013 |

The numbers one through ten in Swahili accompany two-page illustrations of various aspects of East African life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,401,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible