The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail by Jerome…

The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail

by Jerome Lawrence, Robert E. Lee

A very engaging and interesting play highlighting Thoreau's life and primarily his manifestation from hermit at Walden Pond into full-blown civic man, helping to define his philosophy and ideas on/in 'Civil Disobedience'. A great look at a great man. ( )
  BenKline | Apr 21, 2016 |
A play very much of its time (came out in 1970). I'm ashamed to confess that I have never read anything by Thoreau or Emerson and that "transcendentalism" is just a long word to me. So it was enlightening to read this play and learn, not only about the thoughts of both Thoreau and Emerson, but a little about the territorial wars that the US was involved in at that time and Thoreau's act of civil disobedience which was thwarted by those who loved and admired him. What I got from this play is that I really should find a copy of Thoreau and start reading him. ( )
  Marse | Feb 4, 2016 |
  kutheatre | Jun 7, 2015 |
I read this for an English class in high school. Don't remember much about it, except that it inspired me to write a paper comparing Thoreau with the Hippies of the 1960s. ( )
  herebedragons | Jan 26, 2011 |
A very thoughtful, cleverly written play. I found the numerous elements of philosophy very well done.
Besides being philosophical, this book also combines conflictual theories and references to Politics, Psychology, Transcendentalism, and Religion. Lawrence examines with a critical eye the government, corrupt politicians, and the country's choices concerning the present Mexican War.
Well written, with complicated and deep characters. The plot line is more than a bit hazy, but the author seems to build on this fact purposefullyy. The play jumps back and forth between present times, memories, and what seem to sometimes be imaginary thoughts, which can be confusing at first. I think it would be much better to the see the script being acted out on an actual stage, but like most plays, I unfortunately haven't had the opportunity.
An excellent play with even better philosophical ideas and views. ( )
  joririchardson | Jan 19, 2010 |

Jerome Lawrenceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, Robert E.main authorall editionsconfirmed

A reissue of a now classic American drama.

If the law is of such a nature that it requires you to be an agent of injustice to another, then I say, break the law." So wrote the young Henry David Thoreau in 1849. Three years earlier, Thoreau had put his belief into action and refused to pay taxes because of the United States government's involvement in the Mexican War, which Thoreau firmly believed was unjust. For his daring and unprecedented act of protest, he was thrown in jail. The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail is a celebrated dramatic presentation of this famous act of civil disobedience and its consequences. Its poignant, lively, and accessible scenes offer a compelling exploration of Thoreau's philosophy and life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:22 -0400)

The American naturalist's life and philosophy are revealed in a dramatic work which focuses on his symbolic act of civil disobedience in 1846. A superior play, a literary work as well as a theatrical experience. If the law is of such a nature that it requires you to be an agent of injustice to another, then I say, break the law, so wrote the young Henry David Thoreau in 1849. Three years earlier, Thoreau had put his belief in action and refused to pay taxes because of the United States government's involvement in the Mexican War, which Thoreau firmly believed was unjust. For his daring and unprecedented act of protest, he was thrown in jail. The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail is a celebrated dramatic presentation of this famous act of civil disobedience and its consequences. It is poignant, lively, and accessible scenes offer a compelling exploration of Thoreau's philosophy and life. Scene after scene moves you to laughter or close to tears. Thoreau would illuminate any season. A reissue of a now classic American drama.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,901,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible