Dream Angus: The Celtic God of Dreams by…

Dream Angus: The Celtic God of Dreams (2006)

by Alexander McCall Smith

A mate to Atwood's Penelopiad et al in a series of myth retellings. Alternates chapters telling the ancient story with more modern parallels. ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
A lovely little book that could be read over many times, a modern take on an ancient legend. I read part of this 10 years ago and lost interest so I put it aside. I am so pleased to have picked it up again. Sometimes you need to be in the right space to read a story with intent, and with patience. ( )
  essjay1 | Jan 11, 2017 |
I just didn't like this.

I have a sneaking suspicion that McCall-Smith, just like James Doss, likes the sound of his own writer's voice, and thusly writes for the pure pleasure of hearing his own words.

I just didn't understand the point of the stories, they were short and left me wanting so very much more. I felt they were all very underdeveloped. I also think that the stories are inter-connected with each other, but mostly I fail to see the connection with the exception of the Boys whose fathers were really not their fathers.

So I rate this "Eh!" ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
This book is part of the Canongate Myth Series. Smith retells stories about Dream Angus, the Celtic god of dreams and love. The chapters alternate between stories of Dream Angus and stories of regular people that somehow relate to myths. Some of the stories mirror something that happened to Angus, such as finding out the man who had been raising him is not his father, and others involved dreams affecting lives. It was an interesting and quick read. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 17, 2016 |
  Cora-R | Jan 13, 2016 |
For Malcolm and Nicola Wood
This happened in Ireland, but the memory of it is in Scotland too.
She always resented them, but they were just like her, she told herself; everyone we resent is ultimately just like us.

From the beloved, bestselling author of the No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series comes a delightful addition to the Myths series.

Dream Angus is one of the earliest of the Celtic deities, and one of the most beloved. Angus comes bounding over the heather with his bag of dreams to dispense to those who want them. He is lithe of foot and beautiful – as befits one who is also the Celtic Eros, the god of love, youth and beauty.

Angus is a playful trickster, given to frightening people and cattle. He will reveal to you in a dream your true love, if asked, and if in the mood. He is a romantic, and one of the main stories associated with him is his search for the young woman who had appeared to him in his dreams. Eventually he finds her, but she is under a spell which makes her assume the shape of a bird for a year. Angus changes himself into a swan and the two lovers fly off together.

In McCall Smith’s inimitable retelling of the myth, the setting is twentieth century Scotland. Angus is a psychotherapist who helps people understand their dreams, but there are limits to what he can reveal. Mesmerically weaving the modern day with the tales of the Celtic god, Alexander McCall Smith unites dream and reality, leaving us to wonder: what is life, but the pursuit of our dreams?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:47 -0400)

In a retelling of an ancient Celtic myth about Angus, the god of love, youth, and beauty and a trickster who turns one's romantic dreams upside down, five young men named Angus parallel the god's story as they search for true love.

Canongate Books

An edition of this book was published by Canongate Books.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,075,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible