Betrayer of Worlds (Fleet of Worlds) by…

Betrayer of Worlds (Fleet of Worlds) (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Larry Niven, Edward M. Lerner

Member:Tim_T
Title:Betrayer of Worlds (Fleet of Worlds)
Authors:Larry Niven
Other authors:Edward M. Lerner
Info:Tor Science Fiction (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages

Betrayer of Worlds by Larry Niven (2010)

jim.antares | Nov 12, 2015 |
Classic Niven. I love the way his characters think. His descriptions are quite vivid - I can always get great mind-pictures from his writing. ( )
  DebbieBspinner | Apr 12, 2013 |
  DebbieBspinner | Apr 12, 2013 |
This is another of the novels and stories Niven seems to be writing with co-authors, filling in the details of his Known Worlds universe. It's a good read, and the return of Louis Wu is always fun, but I fear Niven is wrapping up his world and plots too neatly--here we have Louis Wu and Nessus, so this is a prequel to the Ringworld series, but we also have characters and situations from other series including Sigmund Ausfaller and the Protectors: where will it end? ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
It's possible, that when you read this book, you would get the same sense of foreboding as Star Wars III (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Episode_III:_Revenge_of_the_Sith). In that movie, as in this book, the beginning is set by the preceding installments, Star Wars II Attack of the Clones and [b:Destroyer of Worlds|6458645|Destroyer of Worlds|Larry Niven|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1312023753s/6458645.jpg|6649019], respectively, and the endings are pre-defined by the key installments of the series, both the first and most popular releases, Star Wars IV The New Hope originally released in 1977 and [b:Ringworld|61179|Ringworld|Larry Niven|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170563307s/61179.jpg|924711] first published in 1970. So, for a 'bridge' book such as this, what is there to more to say given that the beginning has already been setup and the ending is predestined (a God-implying term, that). The temptation is to just wrap the story up, tie up loose ends, provide explanations of some matters left unclear in other releases, and generally do quite a bit of hand waving.

But the authors are smart enough not to fall into that trap, mostly. There is an engaging story of intrigue and alien politics here, that, alas, may not be noticed because of the overall finality, that seemingly, a 33-year series, is at an end. So the overall feelings are of disconsolation, that some small part of oneself, having read all the associated books, is at an end, and of disappointment, that the scope of the saga, having started out so mind-expandingly promising, is ultimately smaller than what one hoped for. Maybe these sensations are not specific to this book or, for that matter, Star Wars III. This is perhaps the case for any high-concept saga that purports to offer a lavish immersion in a new world. After we are done we are back in our mundane places with no answer to the larger questions we would have liked the writers to address. Questions such as: who created the aliens and what for? why is space so vast and empty? why is technology so easy to conjure but so hard to make real? why is our imagination moved to relating to these stories? where do our sparks of desire and understanding come from?

Ok, maybe I am asking too much. But a saga of this breadth deserves this treatment, I think, if only to derive more meaning from all the effort spent on it.

Sometimes, it may be better not to conclude a story but rather to leave it open for our individual motivations to complete. So when the curtain closes, there is more to look forward to. A bigger picture perhaps. A theology of sorts that relates us not just to the experiential part of the imagined world but to our deepest natures as spiritual creatures. So there.

In any case, thank you [a:Larry Niven|12534|Larry Niven|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1182720933p2/12534.jpg]. For entertainment that spanned decades. For engaging minds and imaginations for many a lonely night. You have a unique talent that you have shared with us to our benefit. ( )
  ricaustria | Apr 5, 2013 |

Larry Nivenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lerner, Edward M.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765364980, Mass Market Paperback)

Fleeing the supernova chain reaction at the galactic core, the cowardly Puppeteers of the Fleet of Worlds have---just barely---survived. They’ve stumbled from one crisis to the next: The rebellion of their human slaves. The relentless questing of the species of Known Space. The spectacular rise of the starfish-like Gw’oth. The onslaught of the genocidal Pak.

Catastrophe looms again as past crises return---and converge. Who can possibly save the Fleet of Worlds from its greatest peril yet?

Louis Wu? Trapped in the Wunderland civil war, all he wants is to go home---but the only possible escape will plunge him into unknowable danger.

Ol’t’ro? The Gw’oth ensemble mind fled across the stars to establish a colony world free from tyranny. But some problems cannot be left behind, and other problems---like the Fleet of Worlds itself---are racing straight at them.

Achilles? Despite past disgrace, the charismatic Puppeteer politician knows he is destined for greatness. He will do anything to seize power---and to take his revenge on everyone who ever stood in his way.

Nessus? The insane Puppeteer scout is out of ideas, out of resources, with only desperation left to guide him.

Their hopes and fears, dreams and ambitions are about to collide. And the winner takes . . . worlds.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:43 -0400)

Fleeing the supernova chain reaction at the galactic core, the Puppeteers of the Fleet of Worlds seek a way to survive among enemies and crises.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,834,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible