The Secret Life of Ms. Finkleman by Ben H.…

The Secret Life of Ms. Finkleman

by Ben H. Winters

Bethesda outs her 7th grade music teacher's secret past as punk rock star, Miss Mystery, and to atone for the consequences of meddling, she agrees to tutor fellow student, Tenny, who is orchestrating the music class' rock performance for the Choral Corral. Mystery, music, middle school! ( )
  lillibrary | Jan 23, 2016 |
(unknown level)
  mrsforrest | Oct 31, 2014 |
A case of mistaken identity. A rock concert. Unexpected friendship. This book has it all, with plenty of tongue-in-cheek humor. By the author of Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters.
  LibraryGirl11 | Jul 7, 2013 |
Big Kid Reaction: This is a quick read. The mystery is not so predictable that you can see the twist coming too early. Kevin, Tenny, and the rock concert keep this from being a “girl book,” which the cover seems to suggest. Bethesda’s relationship with her dad is a a nice change from the frequent mother-daughter tandems that fill books for kids this age. I loved that it showed a healthy relationship between a dad and his teenage daughter.

Pros: Boys and girls alike will relate to Bethesda, Kevin, and Tenny and their views on life and school. This is a fast-paced mystery that will keep dormant readers turning the page.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | Apr 18, 2013 |
I'm enjoying the idea, but there's an annoying little thing that keeps bugging me: the author keeps using first and last names together of the students, after they've been introduced, and some of those names are tricky. It really seems to slow down the reading aloud. Which is one reason why I advise anyone writing for MG or younger to read their texts aloud before publication. It makes a difference.

***

We were liking it just okay, and couldn't manage to finish it even when it was more than a week overdue at the library. Even though this one didn't rock us, I'd be willing to try the author again with the next book.

Kaethe | Oct 22, 2012 |

Spurred by a special project from her social studies teacher, seventh-grader Bethesda Fielding uncovers the secret identity of her music teacher, which leads to a most unusual concert performance and a tutoring assignment.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,551,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible