Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop by Otto…

Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop (edition 2010)

by Otto Penzler

Member:malafarmer
Title:Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop
Authors:Otto Penzler
Info:

Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop by Otto Penzler

Recently added bydimajazz, murderbydeath, private library, nancynova, jbarr5, mrlzbth

Christmas at the Mysterious Bookshop
17 mystery writers are given a task each Christmas to come up with a very short story surrounding one item-the bookstore in NYC.
I liked the stories and some I felt I didn't get the whole thing because they were so short. Going to get other works by the authors and read their longer works as they were interesting to listen to.
  jbarr5 | Jun 11, 2014 |
A collection of Christmas stories by established authors, all commissioned by Otto Penzler, the proprietor of the Mysterious Bookshop in New York. Every year, Penzler would ask a mystery writer to write a short Christmas mystery, and include the Mysterious Bookshop in the story. He has gathered them into this fun collection, and I enjoyed reading them all! ( )
  tloeffler | Dec 24, 2013 |
Otto Penzler is the proprietor of New York City's Mysterious Bookshop. This collection of short stories grew out of a 17 year tradition at his store of having one of his favorite mystery writers pen a short story featuring his bookshop in it each Christmas as a thank you gift to customers. The collected short stories, originally published individually, are now available to anyone who wishes to read them via this collection. As is usual in such a volume, some of the stories were better than others. One of my favorites was the story penned by Ed McBain entitled "I Saw Mommy Killing Santa Claus." The one thing that became quite clear to me is that my mystery interests are quite different from those of the shop owner. Only two or three of my favorite writers were included in the collection. Having never been to the Mysterious Bookshop, I did get a feel for the shop and its owner after reading so many stories with the setting; however, I'm not sure it is a shop I would frequent even if I lived in New York City even though mystery is my favorite genre. I did come to one other conclusion, the mystery genre, in general, does not lend itself well the the short story form. ( )
1 vote thornton37814 | Dec 10, 2012 |
From the Introduction: As a way of thanking our customers for their support, I have commissioned an original story from some of the finest mystery writers in America each Christmas season for the past 17 years.

As owner of fabled The Mysterious Bookshop in New York City, Penzler laid out a few ground rules for these stories:

The story must be a mystery/crime/suspense story.
It must be set during the Christmas season.
At least some of the action must take place in The Mysterious Bookshop.

In their entirety, this collection of short stories has a lot to say about The Mysterious Bookshop and its owner. I would love to pay a visit there to see how closely fiction resembles truth.

There are seventeen stories in this book written by famous mystery writers and some who may not be quite as famous, but are just as skilled. As a whole, it's a strong collection that any mystery reader should enjoy.

For me, the strongest stories in the book had humor, irony and the occasional touch of poignancy. Stories like Ron Goulart's "Murder for Dummies," Ed McBain's "I Saw Mommy Killing Santa Claus," "The Grift of the Magi" by S.J. Rozan, and "Christmas Spirit" by Michael Malone.

Any way you serve it up, Christmas at the Mysterious Bookshop is a perfectly murderous way to put yourself in the holiday spirit! ( )
  cathyskye | Dec 15, 2011 |
For seventeen years, Otto Penzler, owner of The Mysterious Bookshop, now at 58 Warren Street in New York, commissioned mystery authors to write a short story. The conditions were that the story should take place at Christmas and involve The Mysterious Bookshop in some way. These he bound as pamphlets and gave to his customers as Christmas gifts. Christmas at the Mysterious Bookshop contains all the stories in one volume.

Each reader is sure to find a favourite among the varied styles. Not only is the Mysterious Bookshop itself enticing, but this collection is irresistible. An entertaining read not to be kept purely for seasonal enjoyment. ( )
  VivienneR | Feb 13, 2011 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,399,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible