Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop by Otto…

Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop (edition 2010)

by Otto Penzler

Member:malafarmer
Title:Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop
Authors:Otto Penzler
Info:Vanguard Press (2010), Edition: Book Club, Hardcover, 256 pages

Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop by Otto Penzler

Loved the concept of this book but only enjoyed 2 of the 17 stories. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
All of these short stories involve Otto Penzler or his staff, and the action takes place, for the most part, in his bookstore, The Mysterious Bookshop. It sounds like it could be great fun, after all what's better than being in a bookstore at Christmas time, surrounded by wonderful books with a mystery thrown in to boot?
Unfortunately I found most of these stories to be poorly written with predictable outcomes. I realize that it is difficult to pen an intriguing story when every story must have a similar setting & characters.
I quickly became bored with the store setting and characters. I felt that the authors were "kissing up" to Otto just a little too much (after all, he does push their books in his real store), by never showing Otto in a bad light, or making him a villan. He and his store were just a little too perfect for my taste in these cozy tales.

I did enjoy one of the stories; My Object All Sublime (Anne Perry). I found this one to be a nice surprise, well written and interesting.
Two other tales were passable; The Lesson of the Season (Thomas H Cook) & Christmas Spirit (Michael Malone), which included a terrific cat as part of the plot. I'm always a sucker for a story that includes animals, although not talking ones! My 2 star rating is given only because of these three stories.
I had to read this for my bookclub, it's their Christmas pick this year. I probably would not have finished this book, were it not for the club.
If you must, borrow this from the library, read the 3 stories mentioned above, skipping the rest of the poorly written drivel with their silly plots. ( )
  Icewineanne | Aug 4, 2016 |
I’m a big fan of Otto Penzler’s mystery story compendiums and am particularly fond of his Christmas collections. I picked this one up on my trip to New York. This collection of short stories is inspired by the Christmas holiday and all stories (be they funny, creepy, clever et al) are set (at least in part) in the Mysterious Bookshop. It features stories by Mary Higgins Clark, Lawrence Block, Ed McBain, Donald Westlake, Thomas Cook, and more. Really worth a look and a great addition to your holiday reading list. ( )
  SarahEBear | Dec 2, 2015 |
Interesting basis for generating some mystery short stories. ( )
  jamespurcell | Apr 25, 2015 |
What a great collection of short stories. Famed editor, publisher, Mysterious Bookshop owner and book collection Otto Penzler commissions a short story each year, for Christmas, from a famous author. The only requirement is that at least part of the story has to involve his Bookshop. Due to popular demand, he has gathered the stories together for everyone to read. Just a quick look at the authors will tell you that you are in for a treat. There is Lawrence Block, Mary Higgens Clark, Rupert Holmes, Ed McBain, S.J. Rozan and Donald E. Westlake, plus 10 others.

Some of the stories I liked better than others but all are wonderful, if you love books and like short stories, give this book a read, you won't be sorry. ( )
  bookswoman | Jan 5, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,210,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible