Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop by Otto…

Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop (edition 2010)

by Otto Penzler

Title:Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop
Authors:Otto Penzler
Info:Vanguard Press (2010), Edition: Book Club, Hardcover, 256 pages

Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop by Otto Penzler

Interesting basis for generating some mystery short stories. ( )
  jamespurcell | Apr 25, 2015 |
What a great collection of short stories. Famed editor, publisher, Mysterious Bookshop owner and book collection Otto Penzler commissions a short story each year, for Christmas, from a famous author. The only requirement is that at least part of the story has to involve his Bookshop. Due to popular demand, he has gathered the stories together for everyone to read. Just a quick look at the authors will tell you that you are in for a treat. There is Lawrence Block, Mary Higgens Clark, Rupert Holmes, Ed McBain, S.J. Rozan and Donald E. Westlake, plus 10 others.

Some of the stories I liked better than others but all are wonderful, if you love books and like short stories, give this book a read, you won't be sorry. ( )
  bookswoman | Jan 5, 2015 |
Christmas at the Mysterious Bookshop
17 mystery writers are given a task each Christmas to come up with a very short story surrounding one item-the bookstore in NYC.
I liked the stories and some I felt I didn't get the whole thing because they were so short. Going to get other works by the authors and read their longer works as they were interesting to listen to.
  jbarr5 | Jun 11, 2014 |
A collection of Christmas stories by established authors, all commissioned by Otto Penzler, the proprietor of the Mysterious Bookshop in New York. Every year, Penzler would ask a mystery writer to write a short Christmas mystery, and include the Mysterious Bookshop in the story. He has gathered them into this fun collection, and I enjoyed reading them all! ( )
  tloeffler | Dec 24, 2013 |
Otto Penzler is the proprietor of New York City's Mysterious Bookshop. This collection of short stories grew out of a 17 year tradition at his store of having one of his favorite mystery writers pen a short story featuring his bookshop in it each Christmas as a thank you gift to customers. The collected short stories, originally published individually, are now available to anyone who wishes to read them via this collection. As is usual in such a volume, some of the stories were better than others. One of my favorites was the story penned by Ed McBain entitled "I Saw Mommy Killing Santa Claus." The one thing that became quite clear to me is that my mystery interests are quite different from those of the shop owner. Only two or three of my favorite writers were included in the collection. Having never been to the Mysterious Bookshop, I did get a feel for the shop and its owner after reading so many stories with the setting; however, I'm not sure it is a shop I would frequent even if I lived in New York City even though mystery is my favorite genre. I did come to one other conclusion, the mystery genre, in general, does not lend itself well the the short story form. ( )
1 vote thornton37814 | Dec 10, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,716,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible