The Heroine's Bookshelf: Life Lessons, from…

The Heroine's Bookshelf: Life Lessons, from Jane Austen to Laura Ingalls…

by Erin Blakemore

[The Heroine's Bookshelf: Life Lessons, from Jane Austen to Laura Ingalls Wilder] by [Erin Blakemore] explores how our admired literary characters can be examples for us when life gets tough.

There are 10 chapters, each with a different topic. There is Self (Lizze Bennett), Happiness (Anne Shirley), Family Ties (Francie Nolan), etc. The concept is great but while I enjoyed reading it (and I read it over several months) Blakemore's comments are often mundane. ( )
  clue | Dec 17, 2016 |
Gave up two chapters in - pretty disappointing, not terribly insightful, and targeted toward people who *don't* think that fictional characters are good role models. Not for me. ( )
  jen.e.moore | May 28, 2014 |
from MaryZee's bookish book box; easy book just to skim through chapters on "themes", such as what fits with Faith or Dignity. Now moving along in another bookish bookbox ( )
  nancynova | Mar 29, 2014 |
3 and 1/2 to 4 stars. Really good. Very reflective. Clearly, this was a labor of love, written with care - something appreciated by any booklover. Maybe a little over the top sometimes, but that's about all the negative there is, unless you don't agree with the author on certain points, but that's par-for-the- course, isn't it?

I only read about half as I haven't read some of the books, but I will probably continue when it become pertinent. (ie, when I've read the books and/or develop a sudden interest in the characters despite not having read the books) ( )
  anieva | Jun 1, 2013 |
Read from January 10 to August 27, 2011

I started this book months ago. I wanted to read the book before reading the corresponding chapter. That didn't happen. However, I've read several of the novels highlighted and I'm familiar with all of the heroine's mentioned so I made it a goal to finally finish up. So glad I did.

Many of Blakemore's literary heroine's are mine though I didn't call them that. However, they're the women I go back to when time's get rough. Lizzy Bennett has helped me get over heartbreak, Scarlett O'Hara has reminded me that me my life's struggles do not compare to surviving a Civil War, and Daisy Fay Harper (a literary sister to Scout Finch) taught me that life isn't perfect, but you can make it what you want.

Each chapter includes a little biography of the author -- each one a heroine writing of heroines, whether they meant to or not. I learned a lot about these extraordinary women that I never knew before. I'm actually quite surprised by the bitterness in so many of their lives, but yet they still managed to write these amazing stories of love, loss, magic, and, sometimes, scandal (I'm still a little shocked by how scandalous Claudine is). I've been introduced to stories I never knew (The Complete Claudine), reintroduced to tales I had forgotten (Their Eyes Were Watching God), and inspired to finally give Jane Eyre another try.

Whether you've read these novels before or not, this is a great book! And it would make an excellent gift for a reader in your life...just saying. ( )
  melissarochelle | Apr 6, 2013 |

In this compelling book of beloved heroines and the remarkable writers who created them, Erin Blakemore explores how the pluck and dignity of literary characters such as Anne Shirley, Elizabeth Bennet, Jane Eyre, Scarlett O'Hara, Scout Finch and Jo March can inspire women today.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Erin Blakemore's book Heroine's Bookshelf was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Erin Blakemore is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,377,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible